Turkish man assaults Pattaya restaurant worker, leaving him in a coma

webfact

2 hours ago, VBF said:

Would you like to tell me who are the foreigners who have been kidnapped and forced to spend their lives in Thailand?

Just curious to know as you seem to be so certain. 

What are you talking about?  If you choose to live in Thailand you have automatically accepted that you will participate in Songkran?  If you don't want to be soaked with water, don't come and live in Thailand?

I disagree.  Simply living in Thailand does not mean you have to be soaked with water.

7 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Yes.... if you apply for a visa that needs one. Why should you be exempt? (In your case one would expect the process to be quick and easy). It's more about people with a negative record and history of violent or criminal behaviour. 

Obviously, if an application for a visa, requires a background investigation, then I would have to contact a relevant law enforcement agency for one. 

But, do I need to apply for a background check merely because someone says we should, when there is no requirement.  

It's sort of like applying for a concealed carry handgun permit (CCP) locally, which requires a background check, and the CCP is issued after a two week wait.  All it required was birth date, place of birth, drivers license and current address.     What kind of investigation is done?

As a Federal Agent, who had an extensive back ground investigation, where I had to provide a list of every job I held, how long I worked there, every address I lived at and how long at that address, name of father and mother, their birth dates, if alive, where they lived, if married who I was married to, when I graduated from high school and where, and much more!   Damn form was 36 pages long and the background investigation the first time was only 6 months because it was during a war, but there were two FBI agents whose only job was to investigate me, for those 6 months.   Second time, the investigation was 18 months, because it was done by one FBI agent!  Third investigation was 2 years and 9 months, because I married a woman from Thailand!  

Yet, someone, malibu kid wants every one that wants to go to Thailand to have a background investigation.   Just how thorough will that investigation be?   And has malibu kid ever had any kind of back ground investigation?  

4 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

What are you talking about?  If you choose to live in Thailand you have automatically accepted that you will participate in Songkran?  If you don't want to be soaked with water, don't come and live in Thailand?

I disagree.  Simply living in Thailand does not mean you have to be soaked with water.

You're making the wrong argument!  I asked you "Would you like to tell me who are the foreigners who have been kidnapped and forced to spend their lives in Thailand?" because you seem to think that some foreigners are in Thailand NOT through their own choice - re-read the thread please! I contend that ANY foreigner in Thailand is there through his or her own choice, whether it be holiday, retirement, marriage to a Thai or work. These are all choices.

On 4/22/2023 at 9:07 AM, BangkokReady said:

I can't imagine many Thai people stopping to think about how a foreigner might feel about being pelted with water before doing so.

This is an indictment of both your imagination and the low quality of Thai people you apparently prefer to associate with.  The Thais I know are all very respectful and not going to squirt someone that obviously doesn't want it.  Maybe if you stretch your imagination to include Thais that don't fit your biases it will make your life better.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

23 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

thing is there's too many shady farang in Thailand, now shady Chinese, if you have a criminal record you can only blame yourself

You’re just bordering on incoherent rambling now to deflect from your unworkable suggestion which you haven’t been able to defend 

23 minutes ago, VBF said:

You're making the wrong argument!  I asked you "Would you like to tell me who are the foreigners who have been kidnapped and forced to spend their lives in Thailand?" because you seem to think that some foreigners are in Thailand NOT through their own choice - re-read the thread please! I contend that ANY foreigner in Thailand is there through his or her own choice, whether it be holiday, retirement, marriage to a Thai or work. These are all choices.

Just because someone chooses to live in Thailand, it doesn't mean that they have chosen to be soaked with water during Songkran.  A foreign person living in Thailand, just like a Thai person living in Thailand, doesn't always have the choice to stay at home during Songkran.

A foreign person, just like a Thai person, has the right to go about their business without being soaked with water.  You might not like that for some reason, but that is the truth legally and, in my opinion, morally.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

3 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Just because someone chooses to live in Thailand, it doesn't mean that they have chosen to be soaked with water during Songkran.  A foreign person living in Thailand, just like a Thai person living in Thailand, doesn't always have the choice to stay at home during Songkran.

A foreign person, just like a Thai person, has the right to go about their business without being soaked with water.  You might not like that for some reason, but that is the truth legally and, in my opinion, morally.

How many times have you repeated the same phrase in this thread? Ten? Fifteen? In my humble opinion, your fixation is borderline obsessive. Wan Lai is over… let it go. Move on to now. Stop obsessing about what is already past. There are so many other threads in which you can participate. Just an observation. 

Edited by NextG
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 4/23/2023 at 6:20 AM, jacko45k said:

I can't speak for him nor get into his head. I recall one year, attending Songkran, it got to the point of it all seriously irritating me, and I was getting angry. So I went home....

..i agree 100%..the last time i had wet pants for more than two hours was when i was a toddler. 

(maybe the 'confused' emoticoner is the great philosopher Confucius himself)

3 minutes ago, NextG said:

How many times have you repeated the same phrase in this thread? Ten? Fifteen? In my humble opinion, your fixation is borderline obsessive. Wan Lai is over… let it go. Move on to now. Stop obsessing about what is already past. There are so many other threads in which you can participate. Just an observation. 

What are you talking about?  I'm replying to someone who replied to my comments.  I stopped checking this thread long before you did.

If anyone is obsessed it's you.  Lurking in the thread, reading my comments and then replying even though they aren't even addressed to you.

You have no response, you have no argument, so you just sling insults and try to silence people.

Get out more.  Maybe get some help.

Remember, you're the positive one who claims to live in harmony with nature.  Why not try to act like it?

23 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Once again, you're missing your own point!!!

I NEVER commented about Songkran or water despite that being the original topic.  I simply stated that ALL foreigners in Thailand are PRESENT IN THAILAND by their own choice. You disagreed saying that some have no choice about being there. Once when gets there, how one behaves is a different argument.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

I never said that foreigners didn't have a choice to be in Thailand, so why would you say that to me?

You most certainly did...here in response to my saying that ALL foreigners have a choice..image.png.ee587ee2cf2cfd4108ef9dcfa4ae7d22.png

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, radiochaser said:

It's sort of like applying for a concealed carry handgun permit

No it isn't, I  am from UK and we do not grasp such things. You do seem to be going off (and on and on) at an off topic tangent.

1 hour ago, VBF said:

You most certainly did...here in response to my saying that ALL foreigners have a choice..image.png.ee587ee2cf2cfd4108ef9dcfa4ae7d22.png

Absolutely, if you have that choice.  Many foreigners and Thais living in Thailand do not.

Please read comments properly before you go on a crazy multiple comment rant for no reason.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Please read comments properly before you go on a crazy multiple comment rant for no reason.

Why are you being so dense?....the fact that they are foreigners living in Thailand meant they CHOSE to live there instead of staying in their (home) country

They may have made the choice many years ago but they still made the choice at some time.

In the same way, a foreigner living in UK, USA or wherever...they made a CHOICE to move from their country to another one.

I did...in the eighties I CHOSE to accept a job offer to go and live in the Middle East.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, VBF said:

Why are you being so dense?....the fact that they are foreigners living in Thailand meant they CHOSE to live there instead of staying in their (home) country

They may have made the choice many years ago but they still made the choice at some time.

In the same way, a foreigner living in UK, USA or wherever...they made a CHOICE to move from their country to another one.

I did...in the eighties I CHOSE to accept a job offer to go and live in the Middle East.

I was saying that although foreigners choose to live in Thailand, they don't all have the choice to stay indoors during Songkran.  That is what I was saying in the conversation that you jumped into and that is what I have been saying to you.

I don't know what your problem is, but you're very much barking up the wrong tree here.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

I was saying that although foreigners choose to live in Thailand, they don't all have the choice to stay indoors during Songkran.  That is what I was saying in the conversation that you jumped into and that is what I have been saying to you.

I don't know what your problem is, but you're very much barking up the wrong tree here.

Fair point….  But I’d hazard a guess that those areas where a ‘person’ has not choice but to go out & get their ‘needs’ is also an area which is not so chaotic from a Songkran perspective… 

& those areas which are chaotic offer a range of delivery & taxi services etc

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

No problem now you've EXPLAINED, but if you read through your earlier posts, it appears that you were saying that foreigners had no choice in whether they were in Thailand or not. THAT was what I was arguing with.

Clearly, if they're there (by choice) then the decision to go out or stay indoors depends on individual lifestyles / commitments and may or may not offer choice.

Glad we cleared that up. ????????

Edited by VBF

27 minutes ago, VBF said:

No problem now you've EXPLAINED, but if you read through your earlier posts, it appears that you were saying that foreigners had no choice in whether they were in Thailand or not. THAT was what I was arguing with.

Clearly, if they're there (by choice) then the decision to go out or stay indoors depends on individual lifestyles / commitments and may or may not offer choice.

Glad we cleared that up. ????????

I'm glad we got that straight, but you make it sound like your confusion was my fault.  Which is not the case.

2 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

I'm glad we got that straight, but you make it sound like your confusion was my fault.  Which is not the case.

I'd say 50/50. Your post was a tad ambiguous, but i could have interpreted it differently.

On 4/22/2023 at 6:38 AM, ezzra said:

Turkish people are known to be hot headed type that resolves issues with their fists first, and that buffoon should have seen and know what is going on with the Songkran festivities and tradition he should have stayed at his hotel and not come out, now this idiot will pay dearly for his action in terms of compensation and jail time.

Songkran activities in Pattaya are not Thai tradition, not even close. It goes on for a week (also not Thai tradition) and many of the participants act aggressively with high pressure water guns, buckets and ice water in order to produce as much negative response as possible. He got a response, just more than he exptected. We don't know what happened leading up to the attack, but it's quite possible the Turk asked the Thai guy not to do it.

On 4/22/2023 at 3:19 AM, giddyup said:

They have a festival in Italy where everyone gets pelted with tomatoes. If you don't like it don't go, same with Songkran.

agree, but that festival is confined to an area, therefore it's easy to avoid and people outside that are are respected. the problem with songkran is that you're seen as fair game even if you clearly indicate you don;t want to participate.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2023 at 11:16 AM, BangkokReady said:

You have no idea whether I am miserable or not.  The fact that you feel the need to label me as miserable, that you need to pretend that I am miserable, in order to engage with what I am saying, shows that you do not live a life of harmony.

It's a typical response from people who claim to enjoy Sonkran Week in Pattaya - "people who don't enjoy it must be miserable". In response to that I'd have to say that any mature adult who can enjoy throwing or being doused by water for a week must have the mentality of a child... or they are senile and suffering from their second childhood.

I enjoyed Songkran for a week, at home. I was never miserable, not for moment.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

Songkran activities in Pattaya are not Thai tradition, not even close. It goes on for a week (also not Thai tradition) and many of the participants act aggressively with high pressure water guns, buckets and ice water in order to produce as much negative response as possible. He got a response, just more than he exptected. We don't know what happened leading up to the attack, but it's quite possible the Turk asked the Thai guy not to do it.

also... take a look at the type of thai adult that participates in the water throwing, they are almost entirely the lower class uneducated thais. my thai friends are educated, middle/higher class professionals who find the slinging of water in the street childish and irresponsible. they do however celebrate traditional songkran with their families. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, it is what it is said:

agree, but that festival is confined to an area, therefore it's easy to avoid and people outside that are are respected. the problem with songkran is that you're seen as fair game even if you clearly indicate you don;t want to participate.

The people who are still dry are the ultimate targets and much more "fun" for the participants to douse than people who are already wet.

16 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

It's a typical response from people who claim to enjoy Sonkran Week in Pattaya - "people who don't enjoy it must be miserable". In response to that I'd have to say that any mature adult who can enjoy throwing or being doused by water for a week must have the mentality of a child... or they are senile and suffering from their second childhood.

I enjoyed Songkran for a week, at home. I was never miserable, not for moment.

I don't even have a problem with people having water fights with other people who are willing participants.  I like seeing people having fun and being happy, even if I don't personally enjoy it.  I'm in no way miserable about it.

I just don't think people who don't want to get wet should get a bucket of water over them.  Doesn't seem that controversial to me.

• Like 2

I hope the guy recovers. Although 'coma' doesnt sound so good sadly. 

As a Turkish person, I would love to see the full force of the law applied to this scumbag. I mean, yeah, there are millions of Turks in this world, but, still, this gives us a bad reputation overall. 

Getting soaked doesnt justify headbutting someone. 

Sad. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, jacko45k said:

No it isn't, I  am from UK and we do not grasp such things. You do seem to be going off (and on and on) at an off topic tangent.

I understand that you may not grasp such things.   From what I have been reading about the UK, you are, almost, not allowed to have a knife longer than 3 inches if that, when outside your house, much less being legally allowed to carry a concealed firearm.   

But rest assured, so few people actually know how in depth a background investigation is for a security clearance, for Top Secret security clearances, they think that a background investigation for a concealed carry handgun is a real back ground investigation.  It is not and neither would a background investigation for a visa be either.   

And that is my point of my posted comment and analogy.   I still do occasional contract work for the government, as a federal agent, even though I am retired.  I still have to maintain a moral character and non-criminal life that is required of that work (even though there are certain people who are more equal than others and they don't).  

There is no way that either the CCP investigation or a background investigation for a visa can compare to the investigations that I have gone through, yet, there are those that want me to apply to a local law enforcement agency to get a "criminal background investigation" just so I can travel to Thailand.   Just think of the visa background investigation as playing in a kiddie pool that is 6 inches deep, compared to the one I went through,  as deep sea diving to 14,000 feet below the surface of the ocean.

32 minutes ago, radiochaser said:

I understand that you may not grasp such things.   From what I have been reading about the UK, you are, almost, not allowed to have a knife longer than 3 inches if that, when outside your house, much less being legally allowed to carry a concealed firearm.   

But rest assured, so few people actually know how in depth a background investigation is for a security clearance, for Top Secret security clearances, they think that a background investigation for a concealed carry handgun is a real back ground investigation.  It is not and neither would a background investigation for a visa be either.   

And that is my point of my posted comment and analogy.   I still do occasional contract work for the government, as a federal agent, even though I am retired.  I still have to maintain a moral character and non-criminal life that is required of that work (even though there are certain people who are more equal than others and they don't).  

There is no way that either the CCP investigation or a background investigation for a visa can compare to the investigations that I have gone through, yet, there are those that want me to apply to a local law enforcement agency to get a "criminal background investigation" just so I can travel to Thailand.   Just think of the visa background investigation as playing in a kiddie pool that is 6 inches deep, compared to the one I went through,  as deep sea diving to 14,000 feet below the surface of the ocean.

Why bother comparing actual US security clearances to an FBI check that can easily be procured by anybody? I get them in my home state for $80 to apply for the OA visa. Unless you entered Thailand with a diplomatic / official passport for specific purpose it does not matter what your security clearance was. I don't think people come to Thailand and suddenly become the type of person who assaults somebody in a bar over nothing. Most bad apples could be prevented with a simple criminal check.

This tragedy a reminder to those who chose the hard man road of violence and crimes. One shove or a punch can kill, as has been shown many times. Will there be consequences? The Turk must be held in Thailand indefinitely to face criminal charges and  civil compensatory damages for his actions.