Netflix Sued for Depicting Cleopatra as Black

onthedarkside

5 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Right wingers love to bandy about the phrase color blind until it doesn't suit them anymore.

Have you replied to the wrong comment ?

I cannot see anywhere in the comment you replied to that the poster used the phrase ‘color blind’ ……. Or do you just like to reply to something that you have imagined someone said, rather than what they actually did say.

• Like 2

Social Justice Warrior types like to point to the centuries of oppression, exclusion, discrimination etc to make their case.

Now with movies coming out where there are Black solicitors and doctors in Victorian England, as just a small example, doesn't this sort of diminish their claims?  Some might say that this rush to show diversity in the entertainment industry can be seen as an attempt to whitewash the past: "see? Even Dickens told of Black solicitors in his day!"  This is ironic because the wholesale virtue signaling is an attempt to make themselves the good guys.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, bendejo said:

Social Justice Warrior types like to point to the centuries of oppression, exclusion, discrimination etc to make their case.

Now with movies coming out where there are Black solicitors and doctors in Victorian England, as just a small example, doesn't this sort of diminish their claims?  Some might say that this rush to show diversity in the entertainment industry can be seen as an attempt to whitewash the past: "see? Even Dickens told of Black solicitors in his day!"  This is ironic because the wholesale virtue signaling is an attempt to make themselves the good guys.

Yes it is incredibly stupid. Similar to the black Anne Boleyn in the Channel 5 series. Just pointless virtue signalling to keep the Wokerati from clutching their pearls too tightly.

It's a bit like casting Rowan Atkinson as Muhammad Ali. Or how about Jim Carey as Martin Luther King? Gwyneth Paltrow as Oprah Winfrey? Oh sorry, this inane casting policy only flows in one direction. My bad...

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Well practised left wing default tactic; just accuse people of being racists if you disagree with them.

The lawsuit was filed by an Egyptian lawyer, Mahmoud al-Semary, who cannot possibly be racist, because surely you understand that only white people can be racist ……  just ask Diane Abbott.

What has really upset Egyptian historians, is that Jada Pinkett Smith, executive producer of the series, said in promotional material “We don’t often get to see or hear stories about Black queens:” and they say it is categorically untrue that Cleopatra was black, and it is a besmirchment of their cultural history to portray her as such.   

Racism is generally an artifact of the majority demographic in every country.

• Confused 1

I was watching the film Ghandi yesterday and it was the first time that I saw it and what ruined the movie for me was that too many White people playing roles of Indians and even Ben Kingsley looked too White for his part . 

The scene where Ghandi got thrown off a train in South Africa for being a Black person , kind of lost its effect because he was White .

I watched Ghandi for the first time yesterday and coincidently enough, I was surrounded by 300 Indians 

• 4 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

The acting just doesn't seem convincing , "Cleopatra" speaking with a soft London posh accent and the story seems to focus on gender and race , rather than Cleopatra herself , going by the trailer 

Yeah, that isn't surprising.

The fact the made her black is a give-away that it was never actually about Cleopatra; they were just aiming this drivvle at the woke crowd, so the themes would be about race and gender.

Surprised they didn't give Cleopatra a sex change or an abortion.