Netflix Sued for Depicting Cleopatra as Black

onthedarkside

3 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Exactly the point that the producer made when choosing a black actress to play the part. It's about equal opportunity because black actors have faced a history of discrimination.

You can't grasp that Cleopatra's race isn't pertinent to the choosing the actress' race and there was absolutely no reason not to choose a black actress and no reason to choose a white actress?

I would suggest that the real accepted/perceived image of Cleopatra is probably the one below, and I think most of us oldies remember the film well............????

Cleo.jpg.0e3e6441d947958644743e75d8d6ce49.jpg

Now why would Netlux do the opposite, a bit like Morgan Freeman playing Churchill...............????

• Like 2

Just now, Mac Mickmanus said:

As long as they don't complain when a White guy plays Muhamad Ali or when in the next Cowboy and Indian movie , all the Sioux American Indian tribe are all White guys

I can assure you I wouldn't. That was my point. ????

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I can assure you I wouldn't. That was my point. ????

What about if there was a movie made about Christopher Columbus discovering Australia and all the crew members of the ship  were Chinese and all the Aborigines  already in Australia were Eskimos ?

• Love It 2

22 minutes ago, transam said:

I would suggest that the real accepted/perceived image of Cleopatra is probably the one below, and I think most of us oldies remember the film well............????

Now why would Netlux do the opposite, a bit like Morgan Freeman playing Churchill...............????

More accurate than the fantasy black actress. Black actors are only ever cast as heroes or in other positive rolls such as lawyers, police chiefs judges and high ranking military, never as killers, rapists or terrorists. If they want equality what's wrong with having one play Jack the Ripper or the Boston strangler?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Love It 1

18 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

I bet you'd have something to say if they cast a white actress to play a black woman ????

No, that's "Cultural Appropriation" but Denzel playing Winston Churchill? Well that's cool. 

Since a lot of black guys in UK are called Winston.  

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

What about if there was a movie made about Christopher Columbus discovering Australia and all the crew members of the ship  were Chinese and all the Aborigines  already in Australia were Eskimos ?

The biggest problem with that is that Christopher Columbus didn't discover Australia 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

The biggest problem with that is that Christopher Columbus didn't discover Australia 

These are historical documentaries.

Where do actual facts come into the picture when all that matters is representation

and inclusion and ekkitty, and telling "my truth"?

3 hours ago, transam said:

I prefer this one!

d43e4c9f14916cb1ebc9ad1222f4b4d9.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Interesting 

"Jake Gyllenhaal in "Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time" (2010) 
Gyllenhaal plays a Middle Eastern prince in the film, which many called "insulting" and "the perfect example of whitewashing."

A White guy plays a Middle Eastern Guy and its regarded as "whitewashing" , willl the same people who made that accusation now say that the Cleopatra film is Backwashing ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NoDisplayName said:

These are historical documentaries.

Where do actual facts come into the picture when all that matters is representation

and inclusion and ekkitty, and telling "my truth"?

Sorry, but you’ve lost me; what documentaries are you referring to, and what is “ekkitty” ….. thanks

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Haha ????

This is what I said though, bolded for reading comprehension:

"Until I see them cast a white person to play a black historical figure,I'll call it pandering."

According to your link, you are trying to compare Al Pacino playing Tony Montana (a fictional Cuban character) to a black person playing a white historical figure, like a queen/ruler of a country, such as Cleopatra.

Nice try though ????

Edited by 2009
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Exactly the point that the producer made when choosing a black actress to play the part. It's about equal opportunity because black actors have faced a history of discrimination.

You can't grasp that Cleopatra's race isn't pertinent to the choosing the actress' race and there was absolutely no reason not to choose a black actress and no reason to choose a white actress?

Well they like to say that black actors faced a history of discrimination, though it's not really true for many years, is it? Hundreds of movies and tv series with black actors in prominent roles. Denzel Washington started in St Elsewheres decades ago and went on to become a major star, Will Smith is not exactly begging for parts, etc.

As for Cleopatra, they could have cast an actress of middle east origin and avoided the controversy- I'm sure there are a few of them available, but perhaps they decided they needed some publicity and chose to do something they knew would be controversial instead.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Well they like to say that black actors faced a history of discrimination, though it's not really true for many years, is it? Hundreds of movies and tv series with black actors in prominent roles. Denzel Washington started in St Elsewheres decades ago and went on to become a major star, Will Smith is not exactly begging for parts, etc.

As for Cleopatra, they could have cast an actress of middle east origin and avoided the controversy- I'm sure there are a few of them available, but perhaps they decided they needed some publicity and chose to do something they knew would be controversial instead.

There was no controversy except in the febrile minds of racists.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ozimoron said:

There was no controversy except in the febrile minds of racists.

LOL.

IMO casting a black actress as Cleopatra, who wasn't black, was pretty much as likely to cause controversy as throwing a rabbit into a pen full of hungry wolves is likely to cause a problem for the rabbit.

A controversy easily avoided by casting a middle eastern actress. Didn't have to be a white actress. Are middle eastern actresses not in need of work?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL.

IMO casting a black actress as Cleopatra, who wasn't black, was pretty much as likely to cause controversy as throwing a rabbit into a pen full of hungry wolves is likely to cause a problem for the rabbit.

A controversy easily avoided by casting a middle eastern actress. Didn't have to be a white actress. Are middle eastern actresses not in need of work?

Right wingers love to bandy about the phrase color blind until it doesn't suit them anymore.

• Haha 1