Did your Electric bill this month double?

Fred Ziffel

52 minutes ago, MJCM said:

What is the type listed on the PEA / BILL? If you are 1125 then you would have paid 2,117.04 THB

Ooooooop's I read it the wrong way...........????.........????

Sorry, the reading is 356 on the 1125, the 407 was at the time I was using a pressure washer for days cleaning up after the floods....????

• Thumbs Up 1

Mine arrived this morning, ouch!

Last month 748kWh and Bht4,572, this month 1119kWh and Bht6,942. It's the hot time of year and we've family staying over Songkran, so to be expected.

• Like 1

One more thing that should not be overlooked when looking at your High electricity bill is your fridge.

A guy in our old village was complaining about his high bill even in the cold months. In the end we found out 2 things

1- his fridge doors did not seal properly 

2- even when his fridge doors were closed (after getting a new seal) the compressor in the fridge would run continuously

He bought a new fridge (the old one apparently was 8++ years old) and his electricity bills dropped dramatically.

Edited by MJCM

Yup, prices are indeed up, nearly double.

Highest bill last year at this hottest point was just over 2k baht. Now it's 4k. The whole moo ban's talking about it.

Got my flight out next week, looks like I picked just the right time, so the farang will no longer run the air con.

10 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

All time record.

I should add that part of the peak is due to the fact that the granddaughter is here for a whole month. She wastes a lot of power and water.

So we are four in a two storey house. Upper floor is an oven. Never had so much AC running in 11 years.

There is no unexpected rise per unit. Compared to previous months we have overshot the highest scale of 400 units (704 units used).

I hope this will settle????   

4291.60 Baht for 704 units.

That's 6.1 Baht/unit.

Mine went from 4,959 in March to 7,183 for April up about 45%.

I run 2 freezers, 2 fridge freezers, my bedroom a/c about 14 hours a day and the lounge about 19 hours a day. Sadly the lounge a/c died 5 days ago and all the a/c guys are working flat out on new installations and repairing exist customers a/c.

My meter is of the 1125 type.

Edited by billd766
added extra text
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Digitalbanana said:
On 4/23/2023 at 3:03 AM, NanLaew said:

Our bill went from approx 7800 baht to a little over 9000 baht and this is with one less airconditioner being used

How many aircons? Our house has 1 or 2 aircons going 24 hours and the last bill was 8000THB.

The house has two bedroom aircons that see maybe 6-8 hours of evening/night use and one in my shed which is on maybe 12 hours during the day. The usual bill was around 7800. I am assuming that while I am away and due to the heat, the bedroom units are getting longer service.

Doesn't really help to try and get a correlation between two different houses with different constrcution, insulation, window frames, natural ventilation, etc.. Not quite apples with apples IMHO.

On 4/23/2023 at 1:35 PM, Will B Good said:

Bills as low as 800 baht in the 'winter' months, last bill Mar-Apr was 4000 baht.....it still averages itself out to be dirt cheap compared to rip off UK.

This fact, albeit true, does nothing to appease Mrs NL who is now whipping the living daylights out of any of our squatters that dare leave a light on, flush twice (water pumps need electricity), use the hot water wash option on the front-loader or spend too long in the shower (see earlier comment on water pumps)!

• Haha 1

Mine doubled.  Of course, always goes up in hot season but not by this much.

7,700 (big 2 story house plus a smaller 2 story house and very large garden). 

Last month was 3000+. 

Prior years, this month usually around 5k. 

• Like 1

Ok this electric thing is getting out of hand, yes it is double, my normal usage for a month is around $5-6,000 baht, even last month was still paying the same amount, just got the bill today it jump to $10,990 baht, holy moly batman wth is going on

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Those attract higher rates then 1125 (which is normal house holds on 15/45 - 30/100 meter)

I checked the comparable rates on the PEA website 

https://www.pea.co.th/en/electricity-tariffs

The tariff is the same for both Residential (over 150kWh per month) and Small General Service, but I'm being hit for 1.5492Bht on the fuel tax surcharge, I saw someone say if was 0.9343Bht for residential. 

13 minutes ago, vinci said:

Ok this electric thing is getting out of hand, yes it is double, my normal usage for a month is around $5-6,000 baht, even last month was still paying the same amount, just got the bill today it jump to $10,990 baht, holy moly batman wth is going on

you tell us? work out is it the units or price or both

The National Energy Regulatory Committee (NERC), which is chaired by the current caretaker PM, opted to peg the Ft (fuel tarriff) rate for May to August based on the January price of imported LNG. In the meantime, there's been a ~35% decrease in LNG costs since January. I read that the current caretaker PM is going to ask the Election Commission (EC) for permission to allow the caretaker government to intervene with an extraordinary budget to subsidize the public's electric bills.

The assumption (mine) is that NERC factored in Songkran and the election and the fact that nobody would be paying attention in this overly long (in my opinion) application of a spot rate. There's a whole lot of bad management (I'm being polite here) going on when EGAT is compelled to sell energy at a lower price than it's paying the private sector for. The consumer is served with strangely factored utility bills that makes it hard to correlate use versus cost at the best of time. At the end of the day, most consumers, private and business, are paying more to subsidize the "losses" of a state entity. I don't really think any money is getting lost here, it's just going somewhere else.

This gravy train has probably been massaged and tweaked year-on-year by this flawed administration and would probably have slipped unnoticed through the end of summer as it has always done if it wasn't for this unpredicted and sudden, record-breaking heatwave. Airconditioners and refigeration started working overtime and 'Bam!' most bills shot up by a disproportionate amount.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Stocky said:

I checked the comparable rates on the PEA website 

https://www.pea.co.th/en/electricity-tariffs

The tariff is the same for both Residential (over 150kWh per month) and Small General Service, but I'm being hit for 1.5492Bht on the fuel tax surcharge, I saw someone say if was 0.9343Bht for residential. 

Yes but is for residential as you said, all bets are off for meters classified as used on business premises.

I also sincerely doubt that with 2125 you will get a discount if you stay under 300 units in the month as you got (no idea about coming months) with 1115 or 1125 (classified as household) meter

36 minutes ago, vinci said:

It’s hot outside so your fridges and aircon have too work much much harder to get to set temperature.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MJCM said:

under 300 units in the month

That's never going to happen, our monthly average for the last 12 months is a little over 800kWh. It's a 4 storey shophouse unit.

Wife will talk to PEA about getting the meter type corrected.

Edited by Stocky
  • Thumbs Up 1

We were not looking forwards to the bill coming through as last month's was 3,200 baht. This month, even though we have used the aircon a lot more, our bill only went up to 3,800. Considering the headlines on tv and social media, I'm very happy with that bill. I was expecting over 5k.

48 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Mine doubled.  Of course, always goes up in hot season but not by this much.

7,700 (big 2 story house plus a smaller 2 story house and very large garden). 

Last month was 3000+. 

Prior years, this month usually around 5k. 

There is the added Ft charge that was negative for a part of last year and that now stands at 0,9343 Thb (thus almost 1 Thb extra) for every unit used. 

3 minutes ago, Stocky said:

That's never going to happen, our monthly average for the last 12 months is a little over 800kWh. It's a 4 storey shophouse unit.

Is it actually a shop/ business? Or just a shop house unit? If so then maybe get it changed to 1125?

Just now, MJCM said:

Is it actually a shop/ business? Or just a shop house unit? If so then maybe get it changed to 1125?

No, the previous owner used the ground floor as a shop (wedding costume hire), but we've never used the house for business.

• Like 1

On 4/23/2023 at 8:22 AM, MJCM said:

@Fred Ziffel How many units did you use? Approx 520?

The more you use the higher the price.

For a normal house hold (type 1125 <- see your PEA/MEA bill for this number), the prices are like this

0 - 150 units price per unit 3,2484 THB

151 - 400 units price per unit 4,2218 THB

401+ units price per unit 4,4217 THB

Please NOTE, these prices are WITHOUT the following

1- VAT

2- Ft Charge (Fuel Surcharge)

3- Service Charge (currently discounted to 24,62 THB for a house hold)

NOTE: This calculation is based on House Holds that fall under 1125 (you can see that number on your bill under TYPE.) and thus not for companies etc etc.

Re: FT, the Current Ft charge stands at 0,93430 THB per unit (so almost 1 THB added per Unit (Ft will increase (or not??????) to 0,98430 THB per unit.

Previous Months (incl period March - April) users got a discount on the Ft if they used LESS then 300 Units. Using more then that (300> ) NO discounts.

There is talk that the Ft will be eased, but we just have to wait and see what is going to happen

A good calculator is :

https://www.mea.or.th/en/aboutelectric/116/280/form/12

ื this is an excellent reply excellent excellent and thank you very much instead of running around talking about how much your toaster uses and how many pieces of toast you have blah blah blah check the unit meter and the bill that's it if it's excessive units and obviously you are using more or there's something wrong in the house none of us know about your toaster or not

Just now, Stocky said:

No, the previous owner used the ground floor as a shop (wedding costume hire), but we've never used the house for business.

Yeah I saw the edit. Get it changed but maybe that will be a new meter install but not a biggie. Name change is more difficult then just a meter change (that is what the PEA told us when we bought the property next door)