Did your Electric bill this month double?

Fred Ziffel

11 minutes ago, MJCM said:

1115 and 1125 are the meters installed for households in Thailand. The type you have you can see on your electricity bill. (Listed under type)

The major difference between them is the electricity meter from the PEA/MEA.

1115 you will have a meter that says 5/15A on it. This one you can run your house on but don’t connect for example a 24K BTU Aircon to it.

1125 is what the majority of people will have, that is either 15/45A or a 30/100A electricity meter. With a 15/45 meter you can easily run your aircon, waterheater etc (30/100 is a much bigger one)

If you have another Type then the mentioned 1115/1125 then Pea/Mea classified you as for example a business or a ToU (Time of Use) meter 

I see PEA 3*5(100)A on the meter. Type 1124

2 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

OK thanks. I don't really concern myself with the breakdown of charge details. I divide my bill by my units as that is what I pay, and it has gone up 25% this year (per unit). From low 4s to low 5s - 25% increase.

Look closer at your bill, you will see tax (vat 7%) service charge (24ish Thb) and Ft charge..

The electricity price (basis) is still unchanged since a couple of years but only the Ft has increased, it was negative but in 2022 it started to creep up to its current price of almost 1 Thb (0,93430) per unit used

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JensenZ said:

An electronic meter I guess? And 3 phases?

is the type 1124 also on your bill (near to the meter reading date) listed under Type??

Edited by MJCM

2 minutes ago, MJCM said:

An electronic meter I guess? And 3 phases?

is the type 1124 also on your bill (near to the meter reading date) listed under Type??

That's where I found the type, not on the meter.

9 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

Found something

1124 is a 1.1.2 type of residential power user who receives 22-33 kV in voltage.

compare that with “normal” 

1125 is a 1.1.2-volt type residential home light user who receives 380/230 volts.

So you receive a lot more power then normal households

edit: maybe @Crossy can explain the difference?

Edited by MJCM
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Found something

1124 is a 1.1.2 type of residential power user who receives 22-33 kV in voltage.

1125 is a 1.1.2-volt type residential home light user who receives 380/230 volts.

Good work on the reseach. Upon looking again, my meter has as follows:

3*5(100)A   3*230/400V   50Hz  3-Phase   4-Wire  Kh = 1.0 Wh/P

Energy MAX EMS34J

• Like 1

Same month last year B1900, this month 2023 - B2900.

I have spoken to a few people and everyone said their bill was worth mentioning - because higher than they thought it would be!

Edited by ChrisKC
typo

10 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Sure love to know how you manage that. I get a warm shower in the morning, a hot shower at lunch and a semi-nuclear one in the evening. You can turn the electric shower off, but the water in the ground is uncontrollable !

simple...i bleed the water line....as im on top floor and the tanks on roof...i also use that top layer of hot water to soak laundry.....then after a few mins the water cools down after that hotter than hades layer goes down the drain.......when life gives you lemons!  :).....kinda like bleeding the hose before washing the dog!

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Thailand is a fraction of the cost of the west so they've done a better job, probably because it isn't privatised 

Depends on the country.  It is about he same kWh as the average in the "west".  Most people I know here use substantially less kWh here than they did back in the home country.  I wonder why many of us lower are consumption?   As for me, I don't cool the whole house 24/7 as i did in the west nor rooms I don't use.  Hot water is rarely used and I bet I use 5% of what I did in the west.  The list goes on...

17 hours ago, PeeJayEm said:

Not change in rate in Sathorn, Bangkok. Usage and cost lines are the same.  By the way, the kWh unit cost in Thailand is about 20% of the UK cost - yes, a fifth.

IMG_0200.jpeg

IMG_0199.jpeg

Nice pictures [insert yawn emoticon here]

Why do people like to bang on about how cheap it is compared to the UK? [insert rolleyes emoticon here]

• Haha 1

it doesn't matter now, we just have to be careful with our AC in the coming month, we just have to pay our bills or else they will shut us off, we been rob and there's nothing we can do about it, let the Thai deal with it, my whole neighbor hood are arm with picket fence, they are ready to murder who's in charge dealing with electric thingy

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Why do people like to bang on about how cheap it is compared to the UK

In my case, I'm trying to understand what it is about market and commercial structures in UK that make it 5 times as expensive to the end consumer than in Thailand when the fuels cost the same at source.  I suspect profit and tax taken at every interface in the supply chain.  The Thailand model seems massively

more efficient - so worth trying to understand it.  No?

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, atpeace said:

Depends on the country.  It is about he same kWh as the average in the "west".  Most people I know here use substantially less kWh here than they did back in the home country.  I wonder why many of us lower are consumption?   As for me, I don't cool the whole house 24/7 as i did in the west nor rooms I don't use.  Hot water is rarely used and I bet I use 5% of what I did in the west.  The list goes on.

Not true that "it is about the same in the 'west'".  In UK it is about 50p / kWh. And in Thailand it is about 10p.  

1 hour ago, PeeJayEm said:

Gratitude

For what?

If I need to know anything like that I can do a search of the internet.

Do you know the March 2023 price of rice in China?

https://www.globalproductprices.com/China/rice_prices/

China - Rice - price, March 2023
 CNY    8.360
 USD    1.212
 EUR    1.097

The price is 1.21 USD. The average price for all countries is 1.92 USD. The database includes 81 countries.

International price data

(USD / 1 kg, Source: GlobalProductPrices.com. )

I had no idea and am not interested either, but a simple search brings it up. 

On 4/24/2023 at 1:27 PM, MJCM said:

Yeah I saw the edit. Get it changed but maybe that will be a new meter install but not a biggie. Name change is more difficult then just a meter change (that is what the PEA told us when we bought the property next door)

Wife went to see them today. Apparently it was something of a scrum in there many, many people wanting to know why their bills were so high. She eventually got to see the right person, nothing can be done about the current bill, but they will change the coding for the next one. We may receive a house visit to verify that the property is now solely residential, which is to be expected. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, MJCM said:

Found something

edit: maybe @Crossy can explain the difference?

Interesting - my Type is 1124 too and I'm in a small condo with nothing to note of more power usage than anyone else.

1 hour ago, treetops said:

Interesting - my Type is 1124 too and I'm in a small condo with nothing to note of more power usage than anyone else.

That has nothing (AFAIK) to do with your usage. Look at your outside meter what does it say?

6 hours ago, PeeJayEm said:

In my case, I'm trying to understand what it is about market and commercial structures in UK that make it 5 times as expensive to the end consumer than in Thailand when the fuels cost the same at source.  I suspect profit and tax taken at every interface in the supply chain.  The Thailand model seems massively

more efficient - so worth trying to understand it.  No?

What a lot of uk residents are not aware of is that there is a massive "green" surcharge on their electricity bill of more than 25% which is to subsidise all those useless glorified windmills that are normally stationary due to lack of wind or too much wind,  It'snall part of the government's ridiculous "net zero" ambitions which will ultimately bankrupt the country and be responsible for power cuts in future winters

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, PeeJayEm said:

Not true that "it is about the same in the 'west'".  In UK it is about 50p / kWh. And in Thailand it is about 10p.  

It is significantly more expensive to charge an EV at public stations vs home charging in the UK. Here in Thailand, it’s cheaper for me to charge at PTT/Bangchak (off peak) than to charge at home. I love Thailand lol.