Did your Electric bill this month double?

Fred Ziffel

9 minutes ago, Jackbenimble said:

we keep a place just off Sukhumvit near Udom Suk (a townhouse) and electric used to be around 3-4k/month, this month it doubled........8k thb!!  Our place in BangNa is unchanged though? 

Maybe compare the bills so you can work out the difference 

• Thumbs Up 1

My bill went from about 6,400 last month to 8,400 this month.  But consumption was up about 450 units.

10 years ago winter months were around 1,200 and summer months around 3,500.  Now my cheapest months are around 3,500.

March bill: 773 kWh, 4,204.55 baht.

April bill: 1119 kWh, 6,197.45 baht.

Usage increase: 44.76%

Cost increase: 47.04%

March cost per kWh: 5.44 baht

April cost per kWh: 5.54 baht

Cost per kWh increase: 0.10 baht.

Cost per kWh percentage increase: 1,84%.

Seems the effect of any change in fuel tariff or the marginal cost of additional units versus average unit cost in prior month isn't significant.

I did not subtract the fixed cost of 24.62 baht from either bill.

Why did usage increase? Primarily because daughter was home from school due to Songkran break running aircon 24/7 plus additional workload on aircons due to hotter weather.

No real surprise for me, but apparently many people in our mooban are outraged at their higher electricity bills.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, rwill said:

10 years ago winter months were around 1,200 and summer months around 3,500.  Now my cheapest months are around 3,500.

You can’t compare 10 years ago with today, but that said electricity prices have stayed very much the same but the increase is due to something call FT charge (which is basically a Fuel surcharge) early part of last year and before that it was negative. Now a days it’s 0,9343 Thb (thus almost 1 THB) added to each unit used.

Edited by MJCM

I'm pretty sure this have to do with the quality of the aircons too.

I moved in October last year and these are my bills;

October - 1500

November - 7300

December - 6500

January - 4000

February - 4200

March - 4000

We're in a small apartment in Bangkok, building is about 10 years old. We're using one aircon from around 11pm to 9am, other from that it's occasional use of airfryer and microwave. 

We had a AC tech in to check the Aircons and he stated that the one's we had were on the lower scale of the quality scale, they work hard and don't deliver.

I reckon 4000 per month is the normal for us, but I don't have any reference from before the price-hike 

• Like 1

On 4/23/2023 at 5:11 AM, JensenZ said:

Similar for me. 2170 (March 20 bill), 2970 (April 19 bill). 2 refrigerators, 2 aircons working most of the day/night, plus some extra aircon units I don't normally use much.

How many units consumed, if you don't mind me asking? Seems very low cost for that amount of use. I had guests running 2 AC units and one refrigerator, and got a bill for 4592,  for 839 units. About 5.4 per unit.

Edited by bradiston

1 minute ago, TorBKK said:

October - 1500

November - 7300

December - 6500

January - 4000

February - 4200

March - 4000

We're in a small apartment in Bangkok, building is about 10 years old. We're using one aircon from around 11pm to 9am, other from that it's occasional use of airfryer and microwave. 

We had a AC tech in to check the Aircons and he stated that the one's we had were on the lower scale of the quality scale, they work hard and don't deliver.

I reckon 4000 per month is the normal for us, but I don't have any reference from before the price-hike 

Do you own the appartement?

If so, maybe consider changing the aircon to a modern inverter type, we did just that in our condo and the electricity bill went down 50%. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/23/2023 at 8:22 AM, MJCM said:

@Fred Ziffel How many units did you use? Approx 520?

The more you use the higher the price.

For a normal house hold (type 1125 <- see your PEA/MEA bill for this number), the prices are like this

0 - 150 units price per unit 3,2484 THB

151 - 400 units price per unit 4,2218 THB

401+ units price per unit 4,4217 THB

Please NOTE, these prices are WITHOUT the following

1- VAT

2- Ft Charge (Fuel Surcharge)

3- Service Charge (currently discounted to 24,62 THB for a house hold)

NOTE: This calculation is based on House Holds that fall under 1125 (you can see that number on your bill under TYPE.) and thus not for companies etc etc.

Re: FT, the Current Ft charge stands at 0,93430 THB per unit (so almost 1 THB added per Unit (Ft will increase (or not??????) to 0,98430 THB per unit.

Previous Months (incl period March - April) users got a discount on the Ft if they used LESS then 300 Units. Using more then that (300> ) NO discounts.

There is talk that the Ft will be eased, but we just have to wait and see what is going to happen

A good calculator is :

https://www.mea.or.th/en/aboutelectric/116/280/form/12

Complain is ok but also have some sympathy for the less well off Thai's who live in rented apartment and rooms. The landlords regularly charge them 8 to 10 baht /kWh not the MEA rate of 3.2 baht/kWh even though their monthly usage is less than 150 units. It's an illegal practice but no enforcement TIT . 

• Thumbs Up 2

Not change in rate in Sathorn, Bangkok. Usage and cost lines are the same.  By the way, the kWh unit cost in Thailand is about 20% of the UK cost - yes, a fifth.

IMG_0200.jpeg

IMG_0199.jpeg

Edited by PeeJayEm
Forgot last sentence
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, kennw said:

Complain is ok but also have some sympathy for the less well off Thai's who live in rented apartment and rooms. The landlords regularly charge them 8 to 10 baht /kWh not the MEA rate of 3.2 baht/kWh even though their monthly usage is less than 150 units. It's an illegal practice but no enforcement TIT . 

Understood, yes terrible practice, but why do you quote my post in where I ONLY try to explain how the (official) electricity price is calculated. 

21 minutes ago, Dionigi said:

Still running at 0.9343 per unit and has been for months

But there was a period where only people who used more the 500 units had to pay the full Ft surcharge, if you used less then 300 units you got the biggest discount, 301 - 350 units still a discount but a lot less etc etc so it was a sliding scale.

even in the period March - April people got a discount on the Ft if used less then 300 units but I believe the discount stopped for people using more then that.

Edited by MJCM

The massive rise in Electricity Bills that are being witnessed by most people at the moment are for 2 reasons.

The first, is that April is the hottest Month of the Year in Thailand, and Air Conditioners, Fridges Etc have to work overtime to cope with the elevated Temperatures.

The second reason is a little more complicated.

Back during the height of the Covid outbreak in Thailand, the EGAT did not raise their Tariffs and actually decrease the rates slightly to aid the Economy.

As of about November of last Year they said they wanted the Money returned ( paid back )  that they had " lost " due to their subsidising the Economy.

They placed the figure at many Billions of Baht, although the Economy tanked, as did the use for Electric.

There was a proposal put forward for 3 different increases rates in order to claw back this Money over different periods of time.

One of them had the clawback period at only 1 Year and and " FT " rate well over 1.4

The increases were deferred for Household until now, however Businesses have had to already pay the higher rates for the last few Months.

This rise in " FT " was the second proposal, whereby EGAT were to claw back the Money over a 2 Years period 

So much for aiding the Economy and helping your fellow Countrymen when they needed it most.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

The massive rise in Electricity Bills that are being witnessed by most people at the moment are for 2 reasons.

The first, is that April is the hottest Month of the Year in Thailand, and Air Conditioners, Fridges Etc have to work overtime to cope with the elevated Temperatures.

The second reason is a little more complicated.

Back during the height of the Covid outbreak in Thailand, the EGAT did not raise their Tariffs and actually decrease the rates slightly to aid the Economy.

As of about November of last Year they said they wanted the Money returned ( paid back )  that they had " lost " due to their subsidising the Economy.

They placed the figure at many Billions of Baht, although the Economy tanked, as did the use for Electric.

There was a proposal put forward for 3 different increases rates in order to claw back this Money over different periods of time.

One of them had the clawback period at only 1 Year and and " FT " rate well over 1.4

The increases were deferred for Household until now, however Businesses have had to already pay the higher rates for the last few Months.

This rise in " FT " was the second proposal, whereby EGAT were to claw back the Money over a 2 Years period 

So much for aiding the Economy and helping your fellow Countrymen when they needed it most.

Great post, but unfortunately lost in the masses of ignorance.

They only see that their bill increases and then start complaining, no fun complaining when their bill goes down :whistling:

1 hour ago, MJCM said:
2 hours ago, TorBKK said:

October - 1500

November - 7300

December - 6500

January - 4000

February - 4200

March - 4000

Do you own the appartement?

If so, maybe consider changing the aircon to a modern inverter type, we did just that in our condo and the electricity bill went down 50%. 

Given those bills,even if he didn’t own the apartment fitting a decent inverter unit (Mitsubishi is good)as you suggest ,the savings would soon pay for it . He could even swap back the old unit should he leave or negotiate a deal with the landlord/new tenant to leave it

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

Given those bills,even if he didn’t own the apartment fitting a decent inverter unit (Mitsubishi is good)as you suggest ,the savings would soon pay for it . He could even swap back the old unit should he leave or negotiate a deal with the landlord/new tenant to leave it

I had a major issue when I rented a condo and installed (replaced) the current air con.

On moving out the owner of the Condo only wanted to pay a fraction of the Costs of the New Aircon. Fortunately my handy man had saved the aircon and removed my aircon and installed the old one and made it look like nothing ever happened.

But would I recommend this to any other member NOPE. If you own it yes, replace the thing, but if you are renting (unless on a contract of 10 years+ :thumbsup:) No ... way

Edit: Sorry not a condo but more like a Studio it was.

Edited by MJCM

Yes. Jomtien. Expected an increase due to heat & humidity always this time of year and running aircon more...but didn't expect a double over last month. Prob a 50% increase over same period last year.