Did your Electric bill this month double?

Fred Ziffel

People you just can't compare electricity bills because there are so many factors

1- How long do you run the aircons

2- How old are you aircons / How well are the maintained? / Are they of the Inverter type?

3- How low do you set the aircon? 21c or 27-28c as we set it that is a lot of difference.

4- How well insulated is your house

5- How many persons are staying in your house

6- How many aircons / fans do you run

7- How many other electricity consuming devices do you use?

8- How old / big is your Fridge? And is it Inverter type or not?

etc etc etc etc

Edited by MJCM
Added #8
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, MJCM said:

I had a major issue when I rented a condo and installed (replaced) the current air con.

On moving out the owner of the Condo only wanted to pay a fraction of the Costs of the New Aircon. Fortunately my handy man had saved the aircon and removed my aircon and installed the old one and made it look like nothing ever happened.

But would I recommend this to any other member NOPE. If you own it yes, replace the thing, but if you are renting (unless on a contract of 10 years+ :thumbsup:) No ... way

Edit: Sorry not a condo but more like a Studio it was.

But what you did worked out for you,so why are you not recommending it? Even if you left the aircon unit the payback on bill savings in this example is way under the 10 years (perhaps less than 2 in fact) you suggest . I’m puzzled ???? 

3 hours ago, bradiston said:

How many units consumed, if you don't mind me asking? Seems very low cost for that amount of use. I had guests running 2 AC units and one refrigerator, and got a bill for 4592,  for 839 units. About 5.4 per unit.

556 units = total bill 2970 (average after tax = 5.34 per unit). Type: 1124

The 2 AC units that are running much of the time are new Daikin inverter units, but held at 28C for one of them, and the other between 26 to 27C. I image guests at a hotel would run AC at much lower settings.

Edited by JensenZ
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

But what you did worked out for you,so why are you not recommending it? Even if you left the aircon unit the payback on bill savings in this example is way under the 10 years (perhaps less than 2 in fact) you suggest . I’m puzzled ???? 

Just the Hassle. The owner was a real pain in the ...

He wanted a much better aircon but for very cheap and I wasn't going for it and that he didn't like.

Can't recall exactly (as many moons ago), but I paid something like 20.000 THB for the aircon and he only wanted to pay something like 4000 for it. (It was only 3-4 months old).

Still puzzled?

Edit: YMMV of course

Edit2: So if you own the condo then go ahead and replace the aircon (if it seems worth it) but if you are only renting be warned.

Edited by MJCM

8 minutes ago, deansy1972 said:

They have doubled all the taxes on the bill for this month 

How the ..... did you come to that conclusion??

VAT is still the same at 7%

Ft Charge was still the same at 0,93430 THB per UNit

Edit: Electricity prices (basic) haven't changed (AFAIK) since November 2015 (the only thing changed / added since then is the Ft (Fuel surcharge) )

PEA-ElectricityTariffs.pdf

Edited by MJCM
  • Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, MJCM said:

Do you own the appartement?

If so, maybe consider changing the aircon to a modern inverter type, we did just that in our condo and the electricity bill went down 50%. 

I don't own it, and luckily signed up for only one year lease. If I had a two year lease I would probably look into your suggestion. I think we'll just have to be careful for the next half year and have AC on our checklist for next condohunt.

1 hour ago, nchuckle said:

Given those bills,even if he didn’t own the apartment fitting a decent inverter unit (Mitsubishi is good)as you suggest ,the savings would soon pay for it . He could even swap back the old unit should he leave or negotiate a deal with the landlord/new tenant to leave it

The landlord is quite accommodating, so he might have agreed to take the cost of some of it. Might still be a good deal for him for future tenants, so I will pitch the idea to the agent and see where it goes.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, TorBKK said:

The landlord is quite accommodating, so he might have agreed to take the cost of some of it. Might still be a good deal for him for future tenants, so I will pitch the idea to the agent and see where it goes.

Good for you, in my case (when I rented) the landlord wanted only to pay a small amount of the new aircon (I had installed) when I moved out.

But do please note: Get an Inverter type if you get a new one.

Just now, MJCM said:

Good for you, in my case (when I rented) the landlord wanted only to pay a small amount of the new aircon (I had installed) when I moved out.

But do please note: Get an Inverter type if you get a new one.

I bought 2 x LG twin inverter, cheaper to run than the Daikin inverter I replaced...????

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Same BTU? And which type of Inverter?

When looking / comparing Air cons look at the SEER numbers?

The Higher the SEER (afaik) the more efficient they are

https://www.hvac.com/resources/what-is-seer-rating/

Same BTU's, 9000, the Daikin Inverter cost me a small fortune when I bought it, the LG Twin Inverter  SEER was better than the Daikin at the time of my purchase. My electric bills went down a tad, they are now 2 years old.....☺️

Edited by transam
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mine went from about 10k to just over 11k Baht

It's hot and I use a lot of AC, fully expected.

I did replace a couple of AC units so they are more up to date and less inefficient - this shows right now as my bills are about the same as the last  couple of years.

Without buying those 2 AC units I suspect it would be a lot higher.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JensenZ said:

556 units = total bill 2970 (average after tax = 5.34 per unit). Type: 1124

The 2 AC units that are running much of the time are new Daikin inverter units, but held at 28C for one of them, and the other between 26 to 27C. I image guests at a hotel would run AC at much lower settings.

I don't understand that then. Unless my guests ran them non stop at 18. But a near 300 difference in units?

They're both 18 month old Samsungs with inverters. But I'm type 1125. Any idea of the difference? The guests paid the bill by the way!

I'm going to take my own advice and try fitting meters to each unit. Maybe to each floor.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/23/2023 at 12:41 AM, still kicking said:

We'll let me highjack this tread, I am not in LOS now (have been for a while) my bill has been zero for 18 months now, because the government subsidised because of Covid 19. But apart from that my normal bill is about 1000 baht for 2 months (yes, I am a pensioner) and the government pays some of my bill, In Thailand I used to pay about 1500 baht per month. Yes I do realize electricity costs are high at the eastern seaboard, but I live in the west. So why is the electricity so high in Thailand?

Two words, soldiers and greed.

On 4/23/2023 at 4:05 AM, Digitalbanana said:

How many aircons? Our house has 1 or 2 aircons going 24 hours and the last bill was 8000THB.

Yes. I'm not sure how the posters on here have such small bills, even with the increases.  We have one air con going 24/7, the pool pump on for 4 hours per day, one fridge, microwave, air fryer.  Normal bill is circa 3,800 pm. I have yet to see this months, but I anticipate circa 5,000. 

59 minutes ago, bradiston said:

I don't understand that then. Unless my guests ran them non stop at 18. But a near 300 difference in units?

They're both 18 month old Samsungs with inverters. But I'm type 1125. Any idea of the difference? The guests paid the bill by the way!

I'm going to take my own advice and try fitting meters to each unit. Maybe to each floor.

If you ran the units, even in the low 20s I think that would make the difference, depending on how well insulated the room is.

I don't know anything about Type 1124 or 1125... I'd never even noticed it until a member above mentioned it today. If you find out, please lelt me know.

My condo is owned by a foreigner, so in a company name. Maybe that's the difference, although our per unit rate is identical. In addition I run 2 very inefficient, very old commerical style AC units in 2 other rooms. One is in my gym, and that runs about 1 to 2 hours per day, and the other one in my office is getting some use now... and they are real electricity hogs... and 2 fridges. One big and one medium size. One is old and one is a more efficient new model.

Edited by JensenZ

2 hours ago, MJCM said:

How the ..... did you come to that conclusion??

VAT is still the same at 7%

Ft Charge was still the same at 0,93430 THB per UNit

Edit: Electricity prices (basic) haven't changed (AFAIK) since November 2015 (the only thing changed / added since then is the Ft (Fuel surcharge) )

PEA-ElectricityTariffs.pdf 1021.26 kB · 0 downloads

The electricity charges have gone up by about 25% since late last year. I'm paying about 1 baht more per KWh than last year.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

I don't know anything about Type 1124 or 1125... I'd never even noticed it until a member above mentioned it today. If you find out, please lelt me know.

1115 and 1125 are the meters installed for households in Thailand. The type you have you can see on your electricity bill. (Listed under type)

The major difference between them is the electricity meter from the PEA/MEA.

1115 you will have a meter that says 5/15A on it. This one you can run your house on but don’t connect for example a 24K BTU Aircon to it.

1125 is what the majority of people will have, that is either 15/45A or a 30/100A electricity meter. With a 15/45 meter you can easily run your aircon, waterheater etc (30/100 is a much bigger one)

If you have another Type then the mentioned 1115/1125 then Pea/Mea classified you as for example a business or a ToU (Time of Use) meter 

Just now, JensenZ said:

The electricity charges have gone up by about 25% since late last year. I'm paying about 1 baht more per KWh than last year.

That is the Ft charge (Fuel surcharge) 0,93430 Thb (thus almost 1 Thb) per unit.  That is in place already since a couple of months.

the post I answered to, said that the Taxes had doubled 

1 minute ago, MJCM said:

1115 and 1125 are the meters installed for households in Thailand. The type you have you can see on your electricity bill. (Listed under type)

The major difference between them is the electricity meter from the PEA/MEA.

1115 you will have a meter that says 5/15A on it. This one you can run your house on but don’t connect for example a 24K BTU Aircon to it.

1125 is what the majority of people will have, that is either 15/45A or a 30/100A electricity meter. With a 15/45 meter you can easily run your aircon, waterheater etc (30/100 is a much bigger one)

If you have another Type then the mentioned 1115/1125 then Pea/Mea classified you as for example a business or a ToU (Time of Use) meter 

Above I mentioned my type is 1124, in a condo. Do you know what it means? Bradiston is type 1125, but his per unit charge is identical to mine.

1 minute ago, MJCM said:

That is the Ft charge (Fuel surcharge) 0,93430 Thb (thus almost 1 Thb) per unit.  That is in place already since a couple of months.

the post I answered to, said that the Taxes had doubled 

OK thanks. I don't really concern myself with the breakdown of charge details. I divide my bill by my units as that is what I pay, and it has gone up 25% this year (per unit). From low 4s to low 5s - 25% increase.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

Above I mentioned my type is 1124, in a condo. Do you know what it means? Bradiston is type 1125, but his per unit charge is identical to mine.

Does your bill has multiple usages on them in the same month?

do you get the bill directly from the pea/mea?