Mysterious death: Australian tourist found dead in police station cell

webfact

8 hours ago, ChipButty said:

The CCTV footage should show him hanging himself? if it was working, 

I have a case against a Thai passing a bad cheque, we managed to get the police to arrest after 2 years, during the 2 years the offender paid the investigation office 200,000 bhat to loose my file, he was transfer maybe for other problems we will never know, however last year we  managed to get an arrest warrant issues with all sort of promises issued however when the signing of the arrest warrant was to be signed the station chief refuse to sign it off, then the arrested offender were allowed to escape for a few week, its been almost another years, i told the new police office i was going to a higher authority, his reply it would be dangerous for me top do that, i have left Thailand because of that issue, we are 7 million bhat out of pocket, i plan to return and seek more experience legal assistance however, the offence is a serious offence of fraud.
What result can  we expect the guys has hung himself the police most likely though he was not worth much if they done there job right they would have his wallet, probable too busy trying to work out a scheme how the scam the poor kid.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, brianthainess said:

ALL Falang are sent for autopsy, even if you die from a long illness in hospital. 

Brian - is this verifiably true? Asking to understand - not to challenge.  Please could you provide reference to any statute or ordinance requiring this.

8 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Shocking !

Why wasn't his belt taken from him ?

Why wasn't he watched ?

Neglect of care !

Why wasn't he given the care and attention 

I hope the family Sue over this

It's the same with Bali,  Aussie kids head there on their end of  school vacations to party and most times are neglected by the authorities who are supposed to take care of them 

Thailand was his destination for a holiday, not an open mental health hospital. Maybe his family should have accompanied him if he had mental issues.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Why didn't you read the report?  He did not have a belt, he had a cord in the waistband of his shorts.

may be inspector Clouseau never owned a pair of shorts, but those strings you call cord not only not long enough to make a noose out of but most importantly not strong enough to hold a human weight, unless the guy was XXXXXL and yet weight less than 50 kg.

Then of course cord has to be long to have enough for the noose and to attach to something, and that something has to be within reach to be able to tie it to. Last time i checked, cells did not have chairs or ladders or even bars on windows low enough to reach without a chair or a ladder

Edited by BestB

If you arrested by police forces then Police Authority quranteed for your safety.First they remove your belt and then your shoelaces.If you are drank or under drugs influence police officers call a doctor to give you a pill or injection to calm you down.In some places they say the madman saw the drunkard and was afraid.

6 hours ago, itsari said:

An autopsy is required .It may not of been a hanging .

The guy was found hanging from a rope. What other cause of death might it have been? Do you think it might have been staged? Someone killed him and hanged him to make it look like suicide?

9 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

i once stayed in apt bldg that i knew the staff messed with my bike..when i asked to see the CCTV the owner flat out refused to show me...

thai for thai...   just another tourist "accident"

I've never had any problems accessing CCTV footage anywhere. Maybe they just didn't like you. 

1 hour ago, PeeJayEm said:

Brian - is this verifiably true? Asking to understand - not to challenge.  Please could you provide reference to any statute or ordinance requiring this.

I can only say this is from personal experience, of 2 friends who died the Police and the doctor told me its law (i know it isn't but) the embassies need/want an autopsy report death cert. which must be registered at the Amphur of the deceased last abode,  so the embassy can inform the family of the deceased and by family i mean not a Thai wife or partner. The Police Forensic Dept. is close to most embassies  in BKK. Takes around 2weeks before the body is released.

Edited by brianthainess

10 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Shocking !

Why wasn't his belt taken from him ?

Why wasn't he watched ?

Neglect of care !

Why wasn't he given the care and attention 

I hope the family Sue over this

It's the same with Bali,  Aussie kids head there on their end of  school vacations to party and most times are neglected by the authorities who are supposed to take care of them 

Tragic as this death is, at 29 years of age this guy wasn't a kid and the authorities shouldn't be held responsible for his actions.

26 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

The guy was found hanging from a rope. What other cause of death might it have been? Do you think it might have been staged? Someone killed him and hanged him to make it look like suicide?

Well possible, don't forget where you are Mr Jensen

This happens everywhere, not just in Thailand, in spite of "official" policies. There was a guy Jeffrey Epstein who, in spite of being a billionaire, was neglected just long enough in a NY jail for the exact thing to happen. So get off your high horses people, Thailand is making slow progress in many areas, it exceeds the rest of the world in many other areas, and I imagine that it's in the country's best interest to look into its policing practices, and I'm betting they will. This kind of thing is liable to hurt tourism. Ya think? Meanwhile here's a guy in the prime of his youth, one night of drunkenness and bad behavior, and in a drunken fog ends it all. He will never have a chance to learn and rise above the misbehavior of his youth. May he rest in peace. Remember, he's the one who committed suicide, he was not abused in any way, the police were negligent in not taking precautions, but were not directly responsible. Now there is nothing to be done except hope the police will learn, and that any dereliction of duty is properly addressed and publicized. 

30 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

A Policeman once told me suicide is only 10cm of paper, murder is 30 cm of paper

6 minutes ago, itsari said:

Well possible, don't forget where you are Mr Jensen

Dude, I've been here 20 years, and still, despite that, the only possible way he died is by asphyxiation. It's one of the most pleasant ways to die too. You can do it from a door handle.

8 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

Dude, I've been here 20 years, and still, despite that, the only possible way he died is by asphyxiation. It's one of the most pleasant ways to die too. You can do it from a door handle.

Well dude , he could of died from a plastic bag over his head. 

6 minutes ago, itsari said:

Well dude , he could of died from a plastic bag over his head. 

But dude, according to the report, they found him hanging. Either way, plastic bag or rope, the cause is asphyxiation. 

10 hours ago, steven100 said:

The whole purpose of having cells with CCTV is so they can be monitored 24/7  ......   obviously doesn't happen in Thailand police jails.

Normal safety procedures require a thorough body search and removal of belts, shoes and any form of clothing that could be considered a weapon or cause personal harm  .....    obviously doesn't happen in Thailand police jails. 

Hence the "automatic" assumption of suicide?

Sounds like a case for a serious investigation by someone who has a lot of experience in mysterious deaths in gaol. (Not Joe Ferrari). 

If the postmortem reveals bruising, damaged internal organs, will that be made public?

Poor family back home. No one deserves this. 

11 hours ago, steven100 said:

I would say it was caused by the hanging.  No need for any autopsy.

RIP young guy.

sorry 'S100'.. it is standard procedure for any Sudden Death to conduct a full autopsy which includes tissues samples, blood and urine samples for full toxicology. Strangulation usually breaks the small horseshoe shaped Hyoid bone causing the larynx to collapse and the ligature compresses and seals off the trachea. His belt (rope) and any other long clothing ie long pants/shirt/singlet should have been put into his property for sure.  Also standard procedure to conduct regular checks and wake sleeping prisoners to check on them. RIP

• Thanks 1

I don,t think they would leave anything of danger to the person in the cell drunk.I imagine eye spy was on too.Many yrs ago in cnx a few friends got caught drink driving left or forgot the phones in their pocket they took a few photos.Then on facebook,next day in court a fine and a slap on the wrist.They will be a reason why he passed away  and maybe we will know and his family will be ok after.All you can say is RIP now to the young man