Thailand Tourism Fee to be postponed until September

snoop1130

29 minutes ago, Peterphuket said:

Okay, so after 1 September we have to pay 300 thb when we come in by air, when we leave, by air we pay 500 thb.

Wat will be the next trick to earn money from the farang?

I'm curious, we pay already the high prices when we like to visit national parks.

When we have to repair our stuff, we pay already double prices.

Most of the foreigners like to drink wine....oops, also 300% tax

And then they marvel that fewer tourists come?

Funny people this Thais, only now I understand the meaning LOS.

They're laughing in your face.

Departure tax is 700 baht now i think. 1000 baht allup.

• Confused 1

If the government wasn’t so self centered they would look at what other countries are doing to collect fees online.  The USA has ESTA which is a $21 fee collected online from those travelers arriving visa exempt.  Next year the EU is planning to charge 7 euro from non EU citizens for a ETIAS. While I believe there is no charge, Australia has ETA for travelers arriving visa exempt which needs to be applied for online.

Since the airlines already said they cannot selectively charge the traveler, they could collect the fee from everyone and those who are except from paying can get a refund upon arrival.  But of course this option will not happen since the government doesn’t want to inconvenience its own people.

Unfortunately, they will probably set up a system that makes it harder to get through immigration upon arrival.

1 minute ago, Skeptic7 said:

Not that I really care what Land of Stoopid concocts, retracts, delays, institutes...but what is needed, exactly, to qualify as a "foreign resident"? 

Anyone who is not in any of the other groups, mostly retirees or anyone on a long stay visa. Ahah you say, but we're not residents! Well yes we are and no we're not, depending on the issue, in this instance yes we are!

Are they saying tourists don't now need to get Medical insurance as this 300 baht or 150 baht will cover any expenses in private or

Government hospitals ???? 

Still can't see it working they will no doubt come out with different options on how it's used or who can use ????

1 minute ago, shackleton said:

Are they saying tourists don't now need to get Medical insurance as this 300 baht or 150 baht will cover any expenses in private or

Government hospitals ???? 

Still can't see it working they will no doubt come out with different options on how it's used or who can use ????

Have you read any of the posts in this thread?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

Anyone who is not in any of the other groups, mostly retirees or anyone on a long stay visa. Ahah you say, but we're not residents! Well yes we are and no we're not, depending on the issue, in this instance yes we are!

I certainly consider myself a resident of Thailand, with years of consecutive "Retirement" extensions. The USA certainly considers me an expat Thai resident...Social Security, IRS & FBAR, company pension...all filed with Thai addy, YET despite all that...won't be a bit surprised if somehow Thailand does not agree. Haha. 

Just now, Skeptic7 said:

I certainly consider myself a resident of Thailand, with years of consecutive "Retirement" extensions. The USA certainly considers me an expat Thai resident...Social Security, IRS & FBAR, company pension...all filed with Thai addy, YET despite all that...won't be a bit surprised if somehow Thailand does not agree. Haha. 

I also have 21 such consecutive extensions to my retirement visa yet I since I don't have permanent residency here, I know I am not resident.

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Yes of course it is. The prior fees which became included in ticket prices will still be there. Why that was simply not increased heaven knows, other than the locals would be subject to it. 

The fee that is being called "departure tax" is the Passenger Service Charge(PSC), which I think every country in the world implements. It is ring fenced to fund airport security and passenger facilities, not even used for airport development far less anything else.

The UK has Air Passenger Duty(APD) over and above the PSC, that is an excise duty coming under general taxation, it is upwards of £80 depending on class of ticket.

Most countries put tourist tax on accommodation, people should be grateful Thailand is not looking in that direction.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, statman78 said:

If the government wasn’t so self centered they would look at what other countries are doing to collect fees online.  The USA has ESTA which is a $21 fee collected online from those travelers arriving visa exempt.  Next year the EU is planning to charge 7 euro from non EU citizens for a ETIAS. While I believe there is no charge, Australia has ETA for travelers arriving visa exempt which needs to be applied for online.

That is effectively saying the tax is included in a visa fee and everyone travels to Thailand on a visa of some form or other.

A fairly straightforward solution but wouldn't be very popular, how would "border bouncers" fare trying to get back in.

EU countries do not have a problem with tourist tax, it is on accommodation so travelers will be paying ETIAS plus any tourist tax.

This is becoming  rather reminiscent of the automatic visa extensions due to Covid! Or the extension to the ban on the sale of alcohol in bars for the same reason!

Edited by sambum

The obvious solution is to raise the PSC from 700 baht to 1,000 baht, but the Tourism and Sport Ministry wants to "handle" this 7.5 BILLION Baht windfall on their own. * assumes 25,000,000 tourists this or next year, a not unrealistic estimate

This money will be pilfered, stolen, embezzled, used for anything other than the 300 million baht in unpaid medical bills, or protecting the natural beauty of Thailand.

Edited by bamnutsak
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, proton said:

why half price for land arrivals, do they get half their medical bills paid?

The Thai government will pay f all towards any medical bills regardless how people arrive. 

Edited by roo860

4 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

Okay, so after 1 September we have to pay 300 thb when we come in by air, when we leave, by air we pay 500 thb.

Wat will be the next trick to earn money from the farang?

I'm curious, we pay already the high prices when we like to visit national parks.

When we have to repair our stuff, we pay already double prices.

Most of the foreigners like to drink wine....oops, also 300% tax

And then they marvel that fewer tourists come?

Funny people this Thais, only now I understand the meaning LOS.

They're laughing in your face.

I keep laughing in their faces, an unelected caretaker PM and his soldiers who think they are politicians trying to run the Banana Republic of Thailand who are trying to fleece tourists with a 300Bt charge which they cannot find a way to implement, so have to keep postponing it. How many times is that now? About 5 or 6?

Yes, I'll just keep on laughing.

Airlines not interested in this Thai racist money grab. Let's say it as it is we all know where the money's going, and it ain't towards tourist destination upkeep. And medical insurance don't make me laugh, more chance of a tax rebate 

4 hours ago, brucegoniners said:

They keep trying to fix what isn't broken.

It's almost like these guys sit in a back room and ask "how can we screw this up"?

The soldiers don't need to ask "how can we screw this up"? They keep screwing things up all the time.

3 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

My I predict a thread headline in August.......................Thailand Tourism fee postponed until November.....................

Actually, i predict that it'll get quietly dropped with the current postponement simply to "save face"

Of course it'll probably be followed by another, equally stupid scheme....

Edited by VBF
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

Only the very naive would think that their family holiday to Thailand including free medical coverage because the government was going to insure them. If that's what you think, go for it.

Here, Here, the horrible tin soldier government won't even look after there own people. What lovely shower they are.