Mattayom entrance exam

From what I understand, when pupils have completed Prathom 6 and wish to move up to Mattayom 1, they must take an entrance exam.

Could someone tell me if the pass/fail rate for this is ever published and also is it the same exam for every school?

Many thanks. 

In my personal experience and knowledge,  not all school required it, usual, big school with a lot of student use it for create class students at same level, also for some special clas, like IEP  program or science advanced need test because a closed number. And usual, yes, they publish the result without any privacy.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Matayom 1 exam is not a pass-fail in so much as it is an entrance exam for schools.  The students write the exam and the school then determines, based on scores and any legacy how many students they are going to take.

Your child could get 70 on the test but if there are more students ahead then they will not get that school and will have to write again possibly to get accepted into a different school

This also happens at Matayom 3 when they finish I have students that have written 4 different tests not because their scores were not good but because there were students that were better.

The idea is to get into a semi-private non-government school.  

The tests are usually 1 day and cover Math, Science, Thai and English.

If they do not get accepted then they will usually end up in a government school

The kids usually start taking extra classes in P5 and Mat 3 to prepare.  IN P4 and P5 they can also do a practice exam to see how they are and then parents can get the appropriate tutoring for them.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

The tests are usually 1 day and cover Math, Science, Thai and English.

If they do not get accepted then they will usually end up in a government school

Not so. 

Not quite sure what you mean as "semi private" but private schools will generally accept students who can pay. 

Entrance tests for good government schools are tougher. Students who fail government school tests generally will end up at a private school, where money talks.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

Not quite sure what you mean as "semi private" but private schools will generally accept students who can pay. 

No so either. We tested several students for entrace to M4 (EP), and they were all hopeless. None were accepted. The bulk of our students are in primary school. Generally out best students leave at the end of m3 to other "better" schools. And better dould just mean "have better food". lol

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, DavisH said:

No so either. We tested several students for entrace to M4 (EP), and they were all hopeless. None were accepted. The bulk of our students are in primary school. Generally out best students leave at the end of m3 to other "better" schools. And better dould just mean "have better food". lol

Quite right. Just like I said.

Those that can't test will end up lower government or private schools. Testing for EP is a different kettle of fish.

On 4/27/2023 at 8:20 PM, youreavinalaff said:

Not so. 

Entrance tests for good government schools are tougher. Students who fail government school tests generally will end up at a private school, where money talks.

unless they don't have the money then yuck.

semi-private are the schools that collect money from the parents but also have their snouts in the government trough. They are not government and they are not Private.

25 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

semi-private are the schools that collect money from the parents but also have their snouts in the government trough. They are not government and they are not Private.

They are deemed "Private". Not much difference to curriculum as the are governed by OBEC. 

The can accept students from any area in Thailand and are not governed by the rule they must take 60% from their catchment area. They will receive small government grants.

The teachers at private schools do not need to have a university degree in their taught subject. At a school I worked at there were teachers teaching English because they "spoke a bit". Their degree was in something like Social Science.

On 4/29/2023 at 1:00 PM, kingstonkid said:

Oh my, I didn't even know such schools existed. I thought it was only private or government. Can you give an example of a school that is like you say?

So from what I gather, the important thing is the level of competition for the school my child will apply for? This is paramount and it just depends on how well she does compared to the others also sitting the exam? Is that about right?

Most students try to get into the main secondary school for the district (rong-riyan matayom pra-jam ampur โรงเรียนมัธยมประจำอำเภอ) but if they don't get into that one, there will be other secondary schools nearby that they should be able to get into more easily. Those other schools may or may not have entrance tests (some do, some don't), and they will likely have places available for students who can't get into the main secondary school.

5 hours ago, Deserted said:

So from what I gather, the important thing is the level of competition for the school my child will apply for? This is paramount and it just depends on how well she does compared to the others also sitting the exam? Is that about right?

5 hours ago, Deserted said:

This means we should try to aim for maybe two schools as I think there is a lot of competition for the one we want.

Yes most of the kids that I teach the parents have top 5 and work from that.  Don't forget that there is also a different set for schools that have the IE(?) classses that cost parents more money.

There is no such thing as 'semi-private' schools.  There are private schools of varying quality and price and then there are Government Schools.  However, not all Government Schools are equal.  Many have EP programs or Gifted Programs or Mini-EPs, which require Entrance Exams and extra tuition payments. 

Some Government Schools are 'famous' and require entrance exams for everyone, not just the EP students.  Getting into a 'good school' is very important, not because you get a better education, but because students who graduate together are often friends for life and can help each other with jobs or business contacts later in life.

50 minutes ago, Callmeishmael said:

Some Government Schools are 'famous' and require entrance exams for everyone, not just the EP students.  Getting into a 'good school' is very important, not because you get a better education, but because students who graduate together are often friends for life and can help each other with jobs or business contacts later in life.

Not all students.

Every Government school is required to take a percentage of students as they live within the school jurisdiction. Not uisre about now but it used to be 60%. I have seen parents register their kids in friend's "blue book" so their address is within the jurisdiction of their preferred school

I taught at Suan Gularb school. Top 5 in Thailand. It was plain to see which students had entered via entrance test and those that entered because they qualified by address.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2023 at 2:08 PM, Deserted said:

Yes, my kid went to this one: Triamudomsuksapattanakarn Ratchada School - Reviews, Contact Details (bangkoks.best)

Admission to Triamudomsuksapattanakarn Ratchada School is competitive, and the school has a rigorous admissions process designed to identify students who are academically talented and have the potential to succeed in the school’s challenging academic program.

The admissions process typically begins with an application, which includes information about the student’s academic record, extracurricular activities, and personal background. Applicants may also be required to take entrance exams, participate in interviews, or provide letters of recommendation.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/27/2023 at 8:20 AM, youreavinalaff said:

Not so. 

He probably means "Elite Government Schools" like Suan Kularb since there's no such thing as semi-private. It either is or it isn't private.

You are correct in that money talks no matter the school. Assumption has more buffaloes than most farmers.

The entrance exam determines the class at a schools that the students are excepted at. Not only the special IEP, EP MEP, etc but also the second digit of the normal classes such as 1/1, 1/2, 1/3, etc. The higher the second digit the lower the overall IQ of the students (or ability or just a measure of laziness).

Nobody fails in Thailand. If the Thai ED system allowed failures there would be a HUGE lack of grads as well as teachers. :wai:

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/1/2023 at 11:03 PM, FritsSikkink said:

Yes, my kid went to this one: Triamudomsuksapattanakarn Ratchada School - Reviews, Contact Details (bangkoks.best)

Admission to Triamudomsuksapattanakarn Ratchada School is competitive, and the school has a rigorous admissions process designed to identify students who are academically talented and have the potential to succeed in the school’s challenging academic program.

The admissions process typically begins with an application, which includes information about the student’s academic record, extracurricular activities, and personal background. Applicants may also be required to take entrance exams, participate in interviews, or provide letters of recommendation.

This is school is not part of the original Triam *franchise*. I would rate it solidly average to be polite. I would never have any desire to work there. I would never send my daughter there.

I couldn't imagine it's the least bit competitive in the strictest sense. It's definitely not in top 20.

Better the child try Triam Pattanakarn it has its issues as well (especially in the last week or two) but it is the largest feeder for Chula

Semi private - Pathumwan Demonstration and Prasarnmit are two examples. Pathumwan is highly competitive especially for M1. Arguably the best middle school in Thailand non international

Edited by Plern

On 5/3/2023 at 6:22 PM, Deserted said:

Laksi

Harrow if you can afford it. St Mark's.

Kaesetsart is public private out there.

Horwang is on the peripheral edge of BKK. It sort of has a name for itself. St John's as well. Satriwittaya 2 it's also meh kinda sorta out there.

On 4/27/2023 at 1:54 PM, kingstonkid said:

This isn't the idea at all unless you are including Susnkularb Wittayalai, Samsen Wittayalai, Satriwittaya and a half dozen other PUBLIC m1-6 schools known to be the best in Thailand.

Pathumwan Demonstration is arguably the best public private in Thailand. Mahidol Wittayasorn as well.

On 5/26/2023 at 8:25 PM, mrwebb8825 said:

1/1, 1/2, 1/3, etc. The higher the second digit the lower the overall IQ of the students (or ability or just a measure of laziness).

IQ lol

Teach only down to /5 haha. No, seriously

/6 -/9 depending on the school the kids can be alright. Perhaps just normal, good kids. But the superstars are going to be /3 and above

Above /10 is hopeless

12 hours ago, Plern said:

This is school is not part of the original Triam *franchise*. I would rate it solidly average to be polite. I would never have any desire to work there. I would never send my daughter there.

My daughter just finished there and is going to a top university. So, don't really care what you think.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Plern said:

I couldn't imagine it's the least bit competitive in the strictest sense. It's definitely not in top 20.

Better the child try Triam Pattanakarn it has its issues as well (especially in the last week or two) but it is the largest feeder for Chula

Semi private - Pathumwan Demonstration and Prasarnmit are two examples. Pathumwan is highly competitive especially for M1. Arguably the best middle school in Thailand non international

I am interested to know what your credentials are while making these statements. Things like education,  work experience and papers published.

20 hours ago, Plern said:

IQ lol

Teach only down to /5 haha. No, seriously

/6 -/9 depending on the school the kids can be alright. Perhaps just normal, good kids. But the superstars are going to be /3 and above

Above /10 is hopeless

Worked in a school with a couple /11s - even the Thai teachers refereed to them as "Buffaloes" or "The Monkey House" . :wai:

22 hours ago, Plern said:

Aren't the Demonstration Schools like Chula's,  Pathumwan and SWU at prasarnmitr is belongs with department of higher education as they are attached to university and not bound by the general rules of the ministry of education make them have a lot of leeway and being semi private