So which UK banks allow non resident British citizens to have accounts in the UK, i'm thinking those of us who are permanently in Thailand.

On 5/23/2023 at 3:04 PM, kingkenny said:

It does not matter what I have in this context, the fact is the bank, Monzo, did not ask for any of this when I applied online for the account, they simply wanted an address to send the card to, which arrived the following day. The ID required in this instance was a picture of me, holding my passport open at the ID page, nothing else was needed for the standard bank account.

If I want a CC or overdraft etc then they would require more documents, I just wanted a simple saving account, with app access and a debit/ATM card.

Good luck to you, but they don't appear to have followed their own rules. Did you have some residual connection with the address you gave them? (e.g. still on the votes list?)

Looking at their website, it says quite clearly in their Terms and Conditions:-

"You must be a UK resident to have a Monzo account."

Also further down the same page:-

"We may close your account immediately or stop you using your card and/or app if we believe you’ve:..had a change in circumstances which means you’re no longer eligible for a current account (like moving abroad)"

Terms & Conditions (monzo.com)

• Thumbs Up 2

On 6/4/2023 at 11:58 AM, Eff1n2ret said:

Good luck to you, but they don't appear to have followed their own rules. Did you have some residual connection with the address you gave them? (e.g. still on the votes list?)

Looking at their website, it says quite clearly in their Terms and Conditions:-

"You must be a UK resident to have a Monzo account."

Also further down the same page:-

"We may close your account immediately or stop you using your card and/or app if we believe you’ve:..had a change in circumstances which means you’re no longer eligible for a current account (like moving abroad)"

Terms & Conditions (monzo.com)

I used my parents address, different surname and I have never lived at this address, no issues in receiving the card which arrived the following day. I have had this now for over 12 months without any issues. I log in regularly to the app to check the balance so if they are checking I guess they would see a Thai IP regularly. I guess if you don't cause a problem then they just let you get on with it. I get the occasional deposit into it from family for my sons birthday and Christmas, I don't use it for withdrawals as I give my sons the equivalent in THB.

I can only speak of my experience so far.

On 6/1/2023 at 2:14 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

You and many others, that's why I referred to new accounts, not existing accounts (which could be closed by the bank at any time they choose).    Tell them that you're no longer UK resident, it'd be interesting to know their reaction.   

Don't have to they have my address here in Thailand to which they send all correspondence including a Debit card just a few weeks ago.

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

Don't have to they have my address here in Thailand to which they send all correspondence including a Debit card just a few weeks ago.

Santander UK do the same for me. Halifax intercept and destroy my renewed debit cards but their renewed credit card has (fortunately for me) 'slipped the net' twice! 

2 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

I've no idea what info your bank has about you but,  if you're so confident, why don't you call them and tell them specifically that you're no longer UK resident and ask if that has any effect on the standing of your UK account?

• Thumbs Up 1

55 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Trouble with applying for new accounts is that the process involves initially an electronic check done in seconds basically which consists of "is there financial records or a listing on voters roll at applicant address"

Only occasionally does that throw out a negative response which is when they start asking for Driving Licence or other hard proof of address

At the end of the day you need to find a bank who either doesnt care (there wont be any under anti money laundering laws) or a bank that has no objection to a foreign address

Better still dont red flag yourselves in the first place over existing accounts lol

"...occasionally does that throw out a negative response which is when they start asking for Driving Licence or other hard proof of address".

Every UK bank, every time, for a new account applicant, will always ask for residence confirmation, it does not stop at an electoral roll and credit check.

"...you need to find a bank ...that has no objection to a foreign address."

That doesn't exist under the banks' current guidelines under which UK residence is a prerequisite of all the UK banks for new accounts.

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"...occasionally does that throw out a negative response which is when they start asking for Driving Licence or other hard proof of address".

Every UK bank, every time, for a new account applicant, will always ask for residence confirmation, it does not stop at an electoral roll and credit check.

"...you need to find a bank ...that has no objection to a foreign address."

That doesn't exist under the banks' current guidelines under which UK residence is a prerequisite of all the UK banks for new accounts.

<removed>

As regards your 2nd point why dont you add the rest of the quote that was in brackets and try again

As regards the 1st....utter bollacks fella

As recently as this year I have opened Chase Monza and Kroo accounts instantly after they (obviously) found me listed at my current address with HSBC and RBS accounts and credit lines via Cards with Halifax and Barclays

Out....

Edited by CharlieH
Flame removed
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1