Electric Vehicle Registrations Increase for 3rd Consecutive Month

snoop1130

1682580731_661179-tnamcot-768x402.jpg

BANGKOK, April 27 (TNA) – In Thailand, registrations of new electric vehicles in March rose for the third month in a row.

Government spokesman Anucha Burapachaisri said registrations of BEVs increased to more than 8,500 in March thanks to the government’s measures to promote the use of electric vehicles.

The figures in March comprised 6,205 personal cars and 2,263 motorcycles, according to the Department of Land Transport.

Full Story: https://tna.mcot.net/english-news/line-today-english-news-1161901

tnalogo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai News Agency 2023-04-27

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

4 hours ago, Jotnar said:

yes

OK. If we're playing silly bggrs, why? The inconvenience of mileage range, lack of charge points in some locations or difficulty planning to visit them and hoping they're not already being used, , the hours breaking your journey to recharge,... 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Certainly in the UK, an electric car is only a sensible option if you can charge it from home, drive it, charge it at home again.  The aggro of finding compatile charging points that are not out of order or have a queue of vehicles in front of you waiting to be charged would be too much for many.

I can see in a few years time the above situation would probably change as batteries evolve and accept much faster charging.

If you are regulary travelling long distances, maybe a hybrid or diesel car would be more suitable.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jotnar said:

4 <1 hr to charge, and a welcome break indeed

Well that presumes fast charging points being available.....are they really enough of then to support a drive round the Mae Hong Song Loop say?

10 hours ago, sidneybear said:

Electric cars are like 3D television. A once in a generation fad that suckers people in but doesn't make sense. 

I seriously fear that once many are locked into EVs, we will start to see shortages and inflated prices for the very electric needed. It doesn't come easy or necessarily from clean sources. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I seriously fear that once many are locked into EVs, we will start to see shortages and inflated prices for the very electric needed. It doesn't come easy or necessarily from clean sources. 

Spot on. EVs are a rich man's toy, and do nothing to save the planet. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, sidneybear said:

Spot on. EVs are a rich man's toy, and do nothing to save the planet. 

Cost the same as ICEs to buy, and less to operate.

Far from rich person's toy.  More toward the smart shopper, who invests their finances for future ROI, instead of flash materialism they have to throw money to maintain.

Edited by Jotnar
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Jotnar said:

the smart shopper,

I agree that EVs may be practical for shopping and short runs, until you have to spend more than the car is worth on a replacement battery. Make sure you don't try to sell it second hand too, because it will be worthless. 

2 minutes ago, sidneybear said:

They're being propped up by various carrot and stick government policies at the moment. Wait and see what happens when the public realises the true cost of Nut Zero and start throwing their governments out.

Propped up, or, governments finally realizing the need to stop being controlled by the fossil fuel industry.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Jotnar said:

Propped up, or, governments finally realizing the need to stop being controlled by the fossil fuel industry.

Show me an industry that doesn't lobby and donate to governments. They all do it, but the green industry is awash with subsidies and venture capital at the moment, until governments on the receiving end get forced out.

20 minutes ago, sidneybear said:

Well, the newspapers here are full of stories about: people getting stranded; range anxiety; people waiting hours queuing for charging looking longingly at others filing up with petrol in 5 minutes; people wishing they hadn't bought one; people complaining about the astronomical prices of replacement batteries, and; people complaining about massive depreciation on second hand sales. 

You enjoy your EV, if you actually have one. I'll stick to my 270 HP turbo ICE that I can drive 500 km and fill up in five minutes. 

Not in Thailand and seem like user error.   If you ran out of petrol, would it be the cars fault ?

'if you even have one'

270 hp, useless materialism, sounds familiar

Goodbye

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jotnar said:

Not in Thailand and seem like user error.   If you ran out of petrol, would it be the cars fault ?

Be fair.... I might run out of fuel in a diesel truck after 1000 km, would an EV provide me such range to find a plug in point?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Jotnar said:

'if you even have one'

270 hp, useless materialism, sounds familiar

Goodbye

Do you have one? I'm genuinely curious. 

And yes, that 270 HP of unabashed materialism does make me smile when I put my foot down.

41 minutes ago, sidneybear said:

Well, the newspapers here are full of stories about: people getting stranded; range anxiety; people waiting hours queuing for charging looking longingly at others filing up with petrol in 5 minutes; people wishing they hadn't bought one; people complaining about the astronomical prices of replacement batteries, and; people complaining about massive depreciation on second hand sales. 

You enjoy your EV, if you actually have one. I'll stick to my 270 HP turbo ICE that I can drive 500 km and fill up in five minutes. 

And.....EVs have a quiet reputation for faulty electrical overheating causing unnecessary fires/damages. 

Yet, the manufacturers [nor government regulators] apparently don't want to redesign this common glitch. 

Edited by zzaa09
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Be fair.... I might run out of fuel in a diesel truck after 1000 km, would an EV provide me such range to find a plug in point?

Nothing worse than being behind a diesel vehicle on motorcycle or even a bicycle.  Or walking if some idiot left it idling while parked.  That fuel really should be banned, except for maybe the trucking industry, for now.

Disgusting pollution, and you couldn't give me one.  I prefer not to contribute.

Why would anyone want to drive 1000 kms for pleasure ?

All silly comparisons and arguments.

If you like your ICE, I'm happy for you, as it pays the tax base, and probably gives me a tax break.  I just prefer not to be behind you or live in a congested area with them spewing their pollution.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

How Much Does an EV Battery Cost to Replace? 

EV battery replacements range from $5,000 to $20,000 based on the pack, size and manufacturer.

https://www.recurrentauto.com/research/costs-ev-battery-replacement

Also 55% depreciation within 3 years......

20,000 dollars will come close to buying a new car...