One-Way Flight Tickets Into Thailand.

I rememer the late Darren McGarry saying on a YouTube video last year, that over 50s only need a one-way flight ticket to enter Thailand. I have a retirement visa and will be flying with Emirates from Portugal via Dubai. Is what Darren said still current, please? 

Your prob is with boarding the airline. Call them and ask about one way tickets. In general, it's more liability for them to let you fly.

I know someone who had to buy an exit ticket in Hong Kong to get on his next flight leg; diff airline change meant diff policy.

Once, flying Air Garuda, I was required to buy an onward ticket (which they let me refund in the airport when I got there).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Yes you were lucky, but in case the airline would not let you board due to that one-way ticket without a Visa, you could have bought an online onward-flight ticket on the spot for as little as 12 to 15 US $.

Yes I had that option sorted but not needed.

Now have a Non O visa, extension due late June.

23 minutes ago, sherwood said:

Flew into BKK from Perth via Singapore in Feb on a one way ticket, no visa and not asked the question anywhere.

Luck of the draw I guess.

Out of interest which airline.

If it was Jetstar you were lucky

2 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

Yes you were lucky, but in case the airline would not let you board due to that one-way ticket without a Visa, you could have bought an online onward-flight ticket on the spot for as little as 12 to 15 US $.

Do you have a link for that onward-flight option? Can't go wrong at that price...

3 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

Age is not the issue, type of visa and/or re-entry permit is. If you don't have a long stay visa and a re-entry permit, a return ticket is required.

Almost. Type of visa is not important, it's whether you have one or not that counts.

If you don't have a visa, and are intending to enter Thailand visa-exempt, your airline will probably want a return ticket or proof of onward travel.

If have any kind of visa, this issue disappears.

• Like 2

Thanks to every one. I will be buying a return, but I want to come back to Portugal next April. So Lisbon to Bangkok: c mid-July 2023. Bangkok to Lisbon: mid April 2024. My retirement visa will be renewed at the end of February, 2024. I think I'm going to check with Emirates in Lisbon as the Portuguese see everything in black and white terms.

Regards to all,

Nick

11 minutes ago, XB12X said:

Thanks to every one. I will be buying a return, but I want to come back to Portugal next April. So Lisbon to Bangkok: c mid-July 2023. Bangkok to Lisbon: mid April 2024. My retirement visa will be renewed at the end of February, 2024. I think I'm going to check with Emirates in Lisbon as the Portuguese see everything in black and white terms.

Regards to all,

Nick

Didn't really understand your first post and also this post.

Not being pedantic but there is no such thing as a "Retirement Visa".

You possibly have a Non O-A or extensions from that or extensions from a non O .

Either way as has been pointed out in the thread ....with a valid visa or reentry permit you do not require onward/return flight. 

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1

9 minutes ago, asf6 said:

I flew back into Thailand this month with a one way ticket. Check in staff (Emirates) queried it but I showed them my permission to stay and re-entry permit and nothing else was said. 

Did you read threads...

My post couple above ....

Either way as has been pointed out in the thread ....with a valid visa or reentry permit you do not require onward/return flight. 

• Confused 1

46 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

You are being pedantic. Why do expats care so much about it must be called an extension of stay when the Thai Embassies around the World have this link to apply for a Retirement Visa lol

https://canberra.thaiembassy.org/visa-categories/

Screenshot_20230428-211108_Samsung Internet.jpg

They dumb it down for the hoi polloi and for themselves probably. Easier to outsource the technicalities to volunteers on websites like this.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lemsta69 said:

They dumb it down for the hoi polloi and for themselves probably. Easier to outsource the technicalities to volunteers on websites like this.

Either way, the Thai Embassy actually links a "Retirement Visa" to a non-immigration O, O-A and O-X, which makes sense to me as they are actually a visa granted for retirement

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Pattaya57 said:

Thai embassy says otherwise whereby I posted the link above

Please.

We are all aware that the signs at Thai immigration state "visa extension" 

The fact that visas cannot be extended we just accept as "lost in translation" 

Permission of stay can be extended. 

Thermology important in some situations.

You are now on ignore. 

• Sad 1

We flew into Thailand in mid January on a 30/45 day tourist visa with our return booked for early April with no questions asked at immigration,we flew to Oz mid February on a single ticket(AirAsia-never again) with a visa for Oz,we then  booked one way tickets to fly back into Thailand from Sydney in March with Thai Airways,there were no questions asked at the airports.