NACC Inspects Pattaya’s Unfinished Sports Stadium Project

snoop1130

b65336f4b468157a03c1a49342444fa7_small.jpg

PATTAYA (NNT) - Officials from the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) Region 2, alongside the mayor of Pattaya City, have carried out an inspection of an unfinished sports stadium construction site. The visit came after complaints and reports that the project has been left incomplete for over 15 years, resulting in equipment and electrical appliances being left to deteriorate without maintenance.

During the inspection, Supoj Sri Ngarm-muang, the deputy secretary of the NACC Region 2 office, and his team discussed the need for close supervision and inspection of the project with Pattaya City officials. The discussions centered around the preparation of terms of reference (TOR), inviting bids from new contractors, drafting of new construction contracts, budget allocation, and other related matters.

The project’s delay had been attributed to the presence of large stones on the field surface, which were difficult to excavate and drill. This led to military engineers being hired to complete phase 2 of the project, which cost 536 million baht and was completed on schedule. However, phase 3, with a budget of 398 million baht, was further delayed due to a shortage of workers caused by the Covid-19 outbreak.

Pattaya City Mayor Poramase Ngampiches has stressed the importance of completing the unfinished sports stadium project and asked the Pattaya City Council for three-year budget approval to hire new contractors. The council has approved the first installment of 328 million baht, which is currently in the procurement process before the bidding and hiring of contractors. To ensure the project’s success, the Public Procurement and Supplies Committee is working in parallel.

Source: https://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG230428144408044

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2023-04-28

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Haha 1

This project has been a real money maker for some....

It would be very interesting indeed to see the money trail on this one....

So this work was started in 2008...lol....

I think about 10 or 15 mega high rise condos have been built and completed in Pattaya since 2008......

Edited by redwood1
  • Like 1

Now I know Wembley in the UK was late in completion, but I believe this one has been a good example of the incompetence we see here. How public money is wasted and syphoned off, and after it all, just an eyesore. I bet the cost of completion will match the initial budget. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, redwood1 said:

This project has been a real money maker for some....

It would be very interesting indeed to see the money trail on this one....

So this work was started in 2008...lol....

I think about 10 or 15 mega high rise condos have been built and completed in Pattaya since 2008......

Probably more like 30--and any one of the developers could have built this rather piddling stadium in a year or two.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Now I know Wembley in the UK was late in completion, but I believe this one has been a good example of the incompetence we see here. How public money is wasted and syphoned off, and after it all, just an eyesore. I bet the cost of completion will match the initial budget. 

This stadium may wind up costing more than Wembley, assuming it is ever finished

• Thumbs Up 1

Pattaya City Mayor Poramase Ngampiches has stressed the importance of completing the unfinished sports stadium project 

The visit came after complaints and reports that the project has been left incomplete for over 15 years,

There is a song from the past it goes "bla bla bla bla"

Satun, 2023, that one is standing idle for quite some time and there are more buildings in the city, standing idle. 

Well lots of buildings in Thailand not finished or empty. 

Edited by Rimmer
off topic pictures removed
  • Haha 1

Anti-graft agency takes helm to finish Pattaya’s billion-baht boondoggle stadium

https://www.pattayamail.com/latestnews/news/anti-graft-agency-takes-helm-to-finish-pattayas-billion-baht-boondoggle-stadium-430252

The Pattaya football stadium that became a billion-baht boondoggle will be completed by 2025 with yet another 400 million baht to be invested, Mayor Poramet Ngampichet announced.

Pattaya-News-1-Anti-graft-agency-takes-helm-to-finish-Pattayas-stadium-pic-2.jpg

The first phase of the 254-rai project, with 90 million baht completed in September 2010. Grass was planted and construction of the final 15,000 seats was supposed to begin with a 536-million-baht budget later that year, with completion set for late 2012.

In 2018, Chonburi Province obtained 398 million baht in funding for 2018-2020

Poramet on Wednesday announced on his Facebook page that another 400 million baht would be spent on the project to finally complete it by 2025

90 million  plus 536  million plus 398 million plus 400 million plus ?? = 1,424,000,000 Baht or 44.5 million dollars @ 32 Baht to the dollar....

This could be one of the most expensive stadiums in the world, considering its basic design and size...

Edited by redwood1
  • Like 1