Local expat needs help after motorbike incident

snoop1130

On 4/28/2023 at 5:50 PM, HauptmannUK said:

The majority of trained and experienced bikers could probably ride for 100 years and not be killed. But a few will be.  Its statistics, isn't?  "Do you feel lucky?".  Here in Thailand its 'the other guy'. Being quick-witted doesn't help when an SUV drives right over you from behind.

My wife's younger son is currently driving around in a Ford Everest (belongs to his girlfriend's family). He has NEVER had any kind of formal driver training and never even attempted a driving test, let alone passed one. 

My wife's sister bought a brand new D-Max last year. Attempted driving test two times and failed both. Bought a licence for ฿2000. My blood runs cold every time I see her get in the thing.

How does one fail a Thai driving test? A child would pass it.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, rattlesnake said:

She failed it twice. During which time she was out driving in her D-Max too. Long trips (Udon to Bueng Kan and Loei).  In the end it was go to the Land Transport building and wait in the ladies' toilet with ฿2000.

Given the terrible driving standards the death rate on Thai roads is actually quite low. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, HauptmannUK said:

She failed it twice. During which time she was out driving in her D-Max too. Long trips (Udon to Bueng Kan and Loei).  In the end it was go to the Land Transport building and wait in the ladies' toilet with ฿2000.

Given the terrible driving standards the death rate on Thai roads is actually quite low. 

"Given the terrible driving standards the death rate on Thai roads is actually quite low. "

Absolutely agree.

• Thumbs Up 1

42 minutes ago, rattlesnake said:

You clearly don't know anything bout the current driving tests.

THe problem is that a test - and I bet yours was too easy? - is that they don't really add up to much in a lifetime of driving.

In Thailand the problem has not been the test, it is corruption and the hading out of driving licences for "favours"

34 minutes ago, kwilco said:

You clearly don't know anything bout the current driving tests.

THe problem is that a test - and I bet yours was too easy? - is that they don't really add up to much in a lifetime of driving.

In Thailand the problem has not been the test, it is corruption and the hading out of driving licences for "favours"

Spare me your lecture.

My wife got her licence in Thailand in 2016 and I can confirm it is an absolute joke, just listen to the instructor for a week, nod, wai, do a few spins around a track and off you go. Thankfully she had me to actually teach her to drive.

The test is a major problem in Thailand.

Edited by rattlesnake
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

My Thai wife and our son regularly travel to Thailand and I always buy top end travel insurance for both of them including very good accident insurance. She drives a car there and would never ride or be a passenger on a motorcycle. 
This guy just cheaped out on his insurance and is now expecting others to cover his operations. If he’d purchased a decent policy it would have covered the whole costs of his medical needs, not just covering a few paracetamol and a bandage. 6 operations! Maybe the government hospital is spinning out his treatment, who knows, but either way he’s learned an important lesson, don’t be a cheapskate where accident insurance in concerned. 

22 minutes ago, kwilco said:

you have no idea, have you? What about the written and medical?

you actually still seem to attack=h an inordinate amount of importance to the Thai test or is it just and excuse for a racist insult?

How "good" was your test that makes you such a good driver?

All the different parts of the Thai driving test are easily circumvented with a Baht bribe. TIT. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Dazkkk said:

All the different parts of the Thai driving test are easily circumvented with a Baht bribe. TIT. 

As I said earlier.

however it is also worth remembering that most of the old expats who go on about the Thai test, took the most rudimentary of tests themselves.

They then claim "experience" which in reality id=s just the accumulation of bad habits.

Edited by kwilco
  • Confused 1

30 minutes ago, kwilco said:

you have no idea, have you? What about the written and medical?

you actually still seem to attack=h an inordinate amount of importance to the Thai test or is it just and excuse for a racist insult?

How "good" was your test that makes you such a good driver?

I got my car and motorcycle licences in France, respectively in 1999 and 2007. I was also a professional driver in my younger years and have a lot of experience on European and Thai roads, approximately 1 million km. Never had an accident, although I am aware it can happen to anyone anytime. And as the topic is about insurance, I will just add that I have unlimited coverage and repatriation insurance (a must-have IMO).

There is nothing racist about what I said. Although nothing beats experience, receiving proper training is absolutely fundamental and this is a big flaw in the Thai driving licence system. There aren't enough actual driving hours, and the licence is delivered by your own instructor at the end of the course, not by an independent third party.

On 4/28/2023 at 12:56 AM, SAFETY FIRST said:

This is becoming a regular article, foreigners needing money from motorbike accident 

Sadly....This is also why I think health insurance required as part of visa extension is only matter of when not if

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, rattlesnake said:

I got my car and motorcycle licences in France, respectively in 1999 and 2007. I was also a professional driver in my younger years and have a lot of experience on European and Thai roads, approximately 1 million km. Never had an accident, although I am aware it can happen to anyone anytime. And as the topic is about insurance, I will just add that I have unlimited coverage and repatriation insurance (a must-have IMO).

There is nothing racist about what I said. Although nothing beats experience, receiving proper training is absolutely fundamental and this is a big flaw in the Thai driving licence system. There aren't enough actual driving hours, and the licence is delivered by your own instructor at the end of the course, not by an independent third party.

...and you still know nothing about road safety - unbelievable.

the arrogance of foreign drivers!

** - so you are implying that you are a better driver than Thai people? -**

One strategy to avoid the Dunning-Kruger effect and other biases are, to be honest with yourself about your abilities and commit to ongoing self-education. The more we learn, the more we realize just how little we really know. This helps keep us grounded — and can help us make more informed decisions.

easier said than done!

Edited by kwilco
  • Confused 1

On 4/28/2023 at 1:15 AM, Dmaxdan said:

And I'm sure, if they could be bothered the police could track down to hit and run driver...

Tracking down the hit & run driver (if there was one ) is no guarantee of payment...My wife was kht by a Lor Deng driver he basically in the end said I have this much baht period.. Add to that the many uninsured drivers in Thailand or even unlicensed...There are NO guarantees in Thailand & you are 100% in a get it your dang self service country. So remember get it your dang self before you need it ????

Anyone without adequate self or bought insurance living in Thailand is just a ticking time bomb

Edited by mania
  • Love It 1

1 hour ago, rattlesnake said:

As mentioned above, 1,000,000 km and 0 accidents. I'll pass on the lecture about road safety.

this shows you simply understand nothing about road safety - if you think your personal experience/record qualifies you then you don't begin to grasp the topic all.

If you seriously think that is the case, my driving CV exceeds yours in every aspect. - but s I pointed out it is cr=itical thinking that enables someone to understand which you don't appear to be able to do.

12 hours ago, stevenl said:

He would. Illness and accidents are covered.

Would his cover (if applicable) be different to what a Thai receives under the '30 baht' scheme? Various members of Thai family have been billed by their own Community  Government Hospital for treatment of injuries caused by road traffic accidents.

5 hours ago, mania said:

Sadly....This is also why I think health insurance required as part of visa extension is only matter of when not if

Certainly personal accident cover (including motorcycles). Decent motor insurance would have helped in this guy's case too.

• Like 2

On 4/28/2023 at 6:15 PM, Dmaxdan said:

If you're going to ride a motorcycle here then at the very least you should have good accident insurance. 

True, and from his profile it would appear that he is a director/managing director of a local company, or a company based in Phuket – – so one would assume that he was a knowledgeable guy and would therefore have things such as insurance all done and dusted.

But then again, maybe he's been living from hand to mouth and has no money available, even from the funds supposedly put aside for his retirement extension?

• Like 1

On 4/28/2023 at 7:34 PM, bdenner said:

I remember 22 years ago some guy wrote a book called "Private Dancer".

Should have been compulsory reading for every Farang entering the Kingdom.

Would have been an opportunity for the author to write another on the hassards of the Thai roads!

Stephen Leather is the author and Jools Bar on Soi Nana was the bar featured in the book. 

On 4/29/2023 at 6:51 AM, Xonax said:

I large problem here in Thailand is, that a colossal and powerful pick-up truck is often cheaper than a small sedan, why many entry level drivers opt to start out large, when a smaller sedan would fully have covered their basic needs. Put an extra tax on all those pick-up trucks, which are only used for  daily driving, and not for everyday work purposes, which they are created for. Or the authorities could require a few years experience in a smaller sedan, before they are allowed to drive a larger and potentially more deadly vehicle.

Problem with that, new small cards like the Honda City RS are quicker than most pick-ups and Fortuners etc. and available at less than half the price.

On 4/29/2023 at 8:21 AM, jesimps said:

Doesn't matter how experienced you are, the number of idiots on the road here make it likely that you're going to come a cropper sooner or later.

Correct.

• Thumbs Up 1

46 minutes ago, xylophone said:

True, and from his profile it would appear that he is a director/managing director of a local company, or a company based in Phuket – – so one would assume that he was a knowledgeable guy and would therefore have things such as insurance all done and dusted.

But then again, maybe he's been living from hand to mouth and has no money available, even from the funds supposedly put aside for his retirement extension?

At some point you would ask yourself 'What would I do if .........'. Take steps to reduce your exposure to risk. Don't ride a moto, take a baht bus instead.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

I am still confined to a bed in a Thai Government Hospital who offer a great service but are not free like the case in my home country of UK.

No mention of the head damage, he actually things it's "FREE" in the UK? 555 someone's paying for it. There are no free lunches. At least he is getting treated and not put on a waiting list like they do in free medical countries.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1