COD scams continue please beware.

The Fugitive

7 minutes ago, setbkk said:

How do you know it is a scam when 7 other people have stuff shipped to her shop?

Good point! That's my worry! Usually, (but not always) the name on the parcel is written in Thai and I can't read it. That was the case today. However, her mobile telephone number appeared on the address label. As we know, and fortunately for us, Thai's often write their numerics in Latin!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, terryq said:

Is it a 'scam' or is it a family member has just ordered something for delivery to her shop and has not told anyone ?

According to the package who ordered it.? 

Suggest you hide the USB fan away and wait for someone to ask 'anything come for me yet'

Also make family members order on their personal account only.

Thanks for the advice! The other family members do have (and always use) their own mail order 'accounts'. This parcel was addressed to my Mrs and had her mobile telephone number printed upon the address label.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Don't accept any COD orders you didn't make, or other people didn't leave the money for.

How easy is that?

Agree! The contents were printed at the bottom of the address label together with the price. No excuse. The explanation in this particular case (according to my Mrs) was that the shopkeeper opposite accepted and paid for the delivery.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dan O said:

Just tell all the family that you will not accept any cod packages at the shop anymore UNLESS the person ordering  it does not tell you in advance that an order was placed, what it's for and the cost of cod and leave the money for payment. 

Thanks! That's the best suggestion!

• Haha 1

I never order COD and will never pay a COD.

Daughter still seems to do COD but is aware about the delivery and receives a call.

Then takes care on her own.

Funny enough: my goods often end up in a shop :biggrin: at the corner. I receive a "delivered" message and then pick it up sooner or later.

I am bemused when a mate tells me he is waiting for his COD and getting angry when it does not come at the "usual time" :biggrin:

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Why should we be aware because your family members let deliver things at your wife's shop?

Sorry about the previous posting error on my part. I'm not too annoyed. At least we received something for 790 baht. It might only have been a stone in the box. More than one person ordering COD and not letting us know in advance has to be risky and should be avoided. That was my concern.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

57 minutes ago, transam said:

All my hundred's of stuff has been COD, never a problem because I/we KNOW what is coming, and is checked.

So tell me, why I should not use COD and give them bank account details instead....:ohmy:

Six to one and half a dozen to the other.... 

We (Wife and I) never use CoD primarily because we are not always in when the delivery is made - we simply tell them to drop the item at the entrance (fortunately ‘porch-piracy’ is not yet a thing in Thailand and we live in a moo-baan and there is a gate to our house etc etc).

The downside of this is that we get scammed by Credit-Card a coupe of times per year (either my Wife or I).... this is easily identified, cancelled and no money is lost....  However...  one of Thailand’s major online vendors for transport or deliveries has a ‘weak-link’...  In Thailand, that weak-link is always likely to be a pilfering member of staff selling on card-details etc... 

I suspect one specific online shop (ending in ee) as since I have stopped using it, my card has not been used fraudulently, meanwhile my Wife, who continues to use both the ‘main ones’ continues to encounter the odd fraudulent transaction and has to deal with the bank. 

So.. the options are: 

a) have to deal with the bank because of a fraudulent transaction from time to time.

b) Risk the CoD scam and the PITA of having to be there whenever a delivery is made.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, worgeordie said:

B790 for a USB fan , it's a scam ,you can buy a full size fan starting at half

that price, but at least you got something ,

regards worgeordie

Absolutely. The blades do rotate though! Too puny to be of any use unfortunately. Going to have to thank the surrounding shopkeepers for accepting and paying for our items in the past but ask them not to do so in future.   

21 hours ago, The Fugitive said:
21 hours ago, Dan O said:

Just tell all the family that you will not accept any cod packages at the shop anymore UNLESS the person ordering  it does not tell you in advance that an order was placed, what it's for and the cost of cod and leave the money for payment. 

Expand  

Thanks! That's the best suggestion!

Er, not if you actually read what his suggestion was!  He said to tell your family that "you will not accept CODs unless that person does not tell you"!   That means that you will only accept unnotified CODs.

I'm pretty sure that he meant, "tell your family that you will not accept CODs if that person does not tell you".

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, n00dle said:

Presumably the delivery person or even Google translate can.

Last week one delivery guy was laughing and shaking his head at the name on one of our parcels. One of my neices uses made up names (she likes Japanese cartoon characters). That gave me more than a clue who had ordered it!