COD scams continue please beware.

The Fugitive

9 hours ago, kwak250 said:

How would that be possible ?

Saying that I know how much I am going to be paying so not going to pay for something not ordered!

Had paid before by card and had a message saying delivered so not wanting to use a card  again.

Scammer sends directly and not via Lazada. Or in some cases scammer sends something that wasn't even ordered in the first place. The first case is more sophisticated because it needs some actual order in Lazada and the second case is more easy to spot if one keeps track of things ordered but in a multi person household that's not so easy always if different people order all kinds of things regularily.

For an example that this is actually happening in reality look at the opening post of this very thread.

4 hours ago, billd766 said:

That is because there is no argument unless it is of your making.

People choose what suits them and not what others seem to think that they should choose. 

If they prefer COD or a card, it is THEIR choice, and what they are happiest with. Nobody else's decision matters.

Sure. But we can still point out that some methods are superior in some ways (and maybe worse in others). This is not about feelings or "my money my choice" kinda ways of thinking. It's just dry facts.

• Sad 2

4 hours ago, connda said:

I have a white board in the living room where both myself and my wife write COD purchases that we have made with a discription and the amount. If a COD purchase shows up and its not on the board.  Wife and I end up having a discussion regarding the order.  Less confusion that way, well, unless the wife doesn't write her orders down - that does happen.  It's a good system if both of us are writing stuff down. 

I've got to admit, since Covid hit and scared the heck out of people?  I got into the habit of ordering online.  Too bad for the 'brick and mortar' stores who lost our business when everyone bought into mandatory masks, temperature checks, hand gel, and in some cases proof of Covid shots or a negative PCR test. I really balked at being herded like livestock.

Inadvertently, most of those stores lost a significant part of my long-term business. If I order online, I don't waste time driving to a store, and I don't waste gas. The gas saving alone more than pays for shipping. There are still some times I need to buy hands-on.  Groceries for example.  Or I'll go to the store if I need something in a hurry. But online shopping outfits like Lazada and Shopee post-Covid gets a significant proportion of our purchases, and virtually all of it COD.  Which is why we have the white board to keep it all straight. 

Seems like you found a way to make it work well but my question is... why not just pay via card? That's what I'm trying to get from people who prefer COD and especially the ones that have established a system to work around potential COD scams.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

Sure. But we can still point out that some methods are superior in some ways (and maybe worse in others). This is not about feelings or "my money my choice" kinda ways of thinking. It's just dry facts.

Got my HDD to USB reader today from Shopee, I shook the box and gave the bloke 266 bht....................:intheclub:

PS. My job tomorrow, 2 naff HDD's to try and save some stuff....????

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, transam said:

I shook the box

My order arrived today too. 

I never got to shake the box because I was out with my family enjoying the day, when I got home the parcel was waiting for me on my porch. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

1 minute ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

My order arrived today too. 

I never got to shake the box because I was out with my family enjoying the day, when I got home the parcel was waiting for me on my porch. 

Blimey, lucky it wasn't nicked.................:whistling:

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

Seems like you found a way to make it work well but my question is... why not just pay via card?

Paying by card is not always an option for expats - Shopee will not accept foreign cards at all (and recently removed local bank transfer option).

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

No way is more superior in some ways (and maybe worse in others).

But it Is an individual's choice and your way is not the same as mine or others who have contributed to the thread. We are happy doing it our own way, and speaking for myself only I resent anybody telling me that my way is not the proper way to do it.

It IS for me, and it works for me and probably for others as well. from what I read in this thread.

We are all big enough and old enough to do things the way that we want, without some nanny coming along telling me that their way is best.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Paying by card is not always an option for expats - Shopee will not accept foreign cards at all (and recently removed local bank transfer option).

Thank you, that was probably the first valid argument. Though I guess that situation applies to very few of the expats on this forum.

1 hour ago, spongeworthy said:

lot of narcissistic behavior in this thread by people who think others here give the slightest crap about where or how they purchase their hemorrhoid cream

I reckon the comments on this thread are justified considering the unusual heading. 'COD scams, beware'. 

The members are just trying to give advice on how to avoid the scams. 

Pay by card, do not COD 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/3/2023 at 9:24 PM, SAFETY FIRST said:

I reckon the comments on this thread are justified considering the unusual heading. 'COD scams, beware'. 

The members are just trying to give advice on how to avoid the scams. 

Pay by card, do not COD 

I stay here more than 25 years, the last 10 years I ordered stuff at Lazada or Shopee, many, many, items, for 95% COD, never have any problem with that.

Now it is your turn.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2023 at 5:09 PM, eisfeld said:

I don't understand. You are saying that no method has advantages or disadvantages over another method? That they are exactly equal in all regards?

You then say one method works better for someone but maybe a different method is better for another? That's the exact same thing. They are not equal. They have pros and cons.

But as the other poster put it: this thread was not about what works for *you* or trying to convert *you* to not use COD. It's about COD scams and how to spot or avoid them and with that comes how other payment methods can prevent the issue in the first place.

Nobody is trying to tell *you* how to do it. Really nobody gives a flying fart. But we can still discuss the pros and cons in a factual matter. Just saying "but it works for me!" does not help others much. If someone describes a system like writing active orders on a whiteboard then at least that is a sensible contribution to the discussion but at the same time it's completely valid to ask "why not do it that other way?". We are trying via discussion to establish some pros and cons so readers might be better equipped to make their own decisions. No reason to get all defensive.

Agreed... this happens in other threads too - its rather comical !!

- A guys asks about purchasing a car... another poster tells us he uses taxis and has no need for car in Thailand !!!... 

- A guys complains about paying twice on Agoda ... another poster tells us he finds booking guest houses direct cheaper !!!... 

- A new story about someone steeling weed... some posters commenting how drugs are not for them !!! 

????

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Peterphuket said:

I stay here more than 25 years, the last 10 years I ordered stuff at Lazada or Shopee, many, many, items, for 95% COD, never have any problem with that.

Now it is your turn.

Have another read of my comment and who it was directed at. 

It's not all about you. ????

Now it's your turn ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/3/2023 at 6:28 PM, eisfeld said:

Seems like you found a way to make it work well but my question is... why not just pay via card? That's what I'm trying to get from people who prefer COD and especially the ones that have established a system to work around potential COD scams.

You talk a great deal of sense. I hate COD, simply because I carry little cash. I am so used to paying by card and contactless when back in the UK, cash is so ancient. I use Lazada only and pay with my UK no fee credit card, it works very well. No worrying about being home to pay for the delivery, they can leave it with security or on top of the gate. Never ever had an issue.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, jimn said:

You talk a great deal of sense. I hate COD, simply because I carry little cash. I am so used to paying by card and contactless when back in the UK, cash is so ancient. I use Lazada only and pay with my UK no fee credit card, it works very well. No worrying about being home to pay for the delivery, they can leave it with security or on top of the gate. Never ever had an issue.

Yet..........????

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, misterphil said:

How is it a scam? 

COD means Cash On Delivery. 

So you pay when goods are delivered to you and don't pay when they are not. 

Well you’d need to read one of the numerous threads or news articles on this subject to understand the how the scam works...  

You (or someone in your household) receives a call and tells you an item is being delivered. 

Said delivery person arrives and tells you the ordered item is COD. 

You pay for delivery assuming your Wife or someone else in your household ordered something. 

They arrive home, open the item and boom....  you’ve paid 800 baht for something worth 20 baht that was never ordered in the first place. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

Now it is your turn.

I've driven motorbikes on Thai roads for more than a decade and never had any accident. Therefore it's totally not dangerous.

I've explained earlier in the thread that "but I never had a problem" is not a good argument to extrapolate to the general case.

• Sad 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Had a delivery I was expecting Saturday from Lazada by Flash, Monday same driver arrives "no phone call or text" with a medium sized  box with part of my postcode written in  felt tipped pen, the way he handled the box there was sod all inside.

I just shook my head told him no after hearing about all the scams  Thanks guys

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, sometime said:

Had a delivery I was expecting Saturday from Lazada by Flash, Monday same driver arrives "no phone call or text" with a medium sized  box with part of my postcode written in  felt tipped pen, the way he handled the box there was sod all inside.

Pay in advance next time, you'll find your life will be much better. 

43 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:
3 hours ago, sometime said:

Pay in advance next time, you'll find your life will be much better. 

I think he was implying that he hadn’t purchased anything at all... 

The one sure way to avoid the CoD scam is to never order anything CoD and pay directly through your account (Lazada / shopee etc)... 

However, that comes with the risk of ‘Porch Piracy’ (theft of left deliveries from your doorstep) so I guess the best option depends on your circumstances and where you live etc...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I think he was implying that he hadn’t purchased anything at all... 

The one sure way to avoid the CoD scam is to never order anything CoD and pay directly through your account (Lazada / shopee etc)... 

However, that comes with the risk of ‘Porch Piracy’ (theft of left deliveries from your doorstep) so I guess the best option depends on your circumstances and where you live etc...

Spot on thank you

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

think he was implying that he hadn’t purchased anything at all... 

It's English I speak.

He Said 

'had a delivery I was expecting Saturday' 

Not sure of your first language, if not English try Google translate 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

You should look at relocating.

Sounds like you're living in a Dodgy neighborhood. 

I've had parcels left overnight, nothing has ever been stolen.