Biden takes shots during Washington Correspondents Dinner claiming Don Lemon thinks he’s in his 'prime', DeSantis was asked if he had mandate and said 'Hell no, I’m straight' and his job isn’t over - unlike Tucker Carlson

onthedarkside

image.png.09565dc731c3f9a84e102f7755083e42.png

Joe Biden used his time on the podium at the White House Correspondents' dinner to take some well-timed digs at Marjorie Taylor Greene, Tucker Carlson, and even Donald Trump - flexing his comedic muscles in the process.

The jokes from the head of state came after he touched on the serious subject of the freedom of the press and the recent detainment of journalists like the Wall Street Journal's Evan Gershkovich, as well as WNBA star Britney Griner.

Griner was among the various figured in attendance at the Washington Hilton auditorium to hear the president speak, and was even called on by Biden to stand during his speech, before being met with a round of uproarious applause.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12030043/Biden-takes-shots-Washington-Correspondents-Dinner.html

image.png.10eb8336067e409940c918afa8d9fa7f.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, earlinclaifornia said:

I think the host Roy Wood Jr ripped the dinner nicely. His famiLy must be as proud of him as he is of his own family.  I think he deserves that replacement opening  on The Daily Show.

Yeah it would be shocking if he doesn't get it.

30 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Marjorie Taylor Greene has promoted anti-Semitism, white supremacy , white genocide , stolen elections and various other similar cause .

Why is Joe giving her publicity ?

I had never heard of her before Joe mentioned her 

The audience is The Fourth Estate, and Washington insiders. All of whom know who MTG (white-coated lady who yelled "liar" at President Biden during his State of the Union speech) is, and they got the joke.

No offense, but you're not the audience for such humor.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, JustAnotherHun said:

Funny, if Joe Biden calls other people "disoriented or confused" ????

Yeah, I would have pitched a Chuck Grassley Sen R-IA, age 89, or Strom Thurmond Sen R-SC who served until age 100, joke. The jokes about Ronald Reagan's deteriorating mental capacities are legend.

But maybe no need to be ageist?

Joe did well, he has always had a reputation as a gregarious kind of guy.

However, the whole, how can I say, existence of a dinner like this is a bit troubling. I prefer the press and the politicans to be adversarial. They should of course be cordial, but not too chummy.  

Fellow AN members, do these dinners happen in other countries too, or is this an American thing?

1 hour ago, Hanaguma said:

Joe did well, he has always had a reputation as a gregarious kind of guy.

However, the whole, how can I say, existence of a dinner like this is a bit troubling. I prefer the press and the politicans to be adversarial. They should of course be cordial, but not too chummy.  

Fellow AN members, do these dinners happen in other countries too, or is this an American thing?

I think it's an American thing. 

Don't agree the relationship between press and government should be adversarial, but checking, definitely.

But I don't think this will change any relationship or make it 'chummy'.

Edited by stevenl

6 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

One of the best by Biden:

"Having fun tonight, but be safe. If you find yourself disorientated or confused, its either you're drunk - or Marjorie Taylor Greene"

Screenshot_1.jpg.1d85b13bba9fcb49f206a3894ad67cf3.jpg

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/president-biden-jokes-to-dinner-guests-if-you-re-disoriented-or-confused-you-re-either-drunk-or-marjorie-taylor-greene/ar-AA1ayb7y

Biden must have had some pretty good ghost writers for this... The quality of the jokes I'm hearing from the various reports seem quite a bit funnier and more striking than from some of his recent predecessors.

Other than the MTG zinger, the favorite other one I've seen thus far was another dig Biden took at right-wing Republican Florida Gov. (and anti-gay crusader) Ron DeSantis.

“Now look, you can’t be too rough on the guy,” said Biden. “After his reelection as governor he was asked if he had a mandate. He said, ‘hell no, I’m straight, I’m straight.'”

“I’ll give you time to think that one through,” Biden said as the crowd laughed."

https://www.mediaite.com/politics/watch-president-biden-roasts-ron-desantis-with-mickey-and-mandate-quips-at-whcd/

You get it, right???  "Man date"????

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 2