UK licence converted into a Thai driving licence - my experience DLT Bangkok

Last October I got a cert of residence from the UK embassy.

I called and explained that I have a vehicle - i need a drivers license (it had long expired during covid), but I wouldnt be able to get one from bkk immigration as I'm not staying 90 days each time.

Basically they were my only option.  So they issued one

Edited by Sigma6
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Sigma6 said:

I called and explained that I have a vehicle - i need a drivers license (it had long expired during covid), but I wouldnt be able to get one from bkk immigration as I'm not staying 90 days each time.

So, there are a couple of us in this predicament, i.e. cannot do 90-day report and cannot get residency proof from the Embassy and relying on IDP being potentially unlawful.  Both the Embassy and DLT say you can get from the other.  I got mine last November and I understand the British Embassy ceased issuing them in December.  I told them by email that it was a mistake for the reasons outlined in this thread but obviously to no avail.  Although it may still be possible to get it done on an exceptional basis.  To even get to contact them you have to email, which goes to a "civil servant" in London who tries to fob you off with quotes from the gov.uk website.  I was insistent that my question was Thailand specific and eventually got referred.

When I was at DLT last week I spoke to a new arrival from Singapore who had his brand new Embassy certificate.  Not fair doesn't even come close to describe this cluster****

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Sigma6 said:

Thanks for this - I'll try them again and be a bit more insistent this time. This is the only thing stopping me getting a DL here and without it I'll be driving illegally once my IDP expires. I'd optimistically like to think the UK embassy bears some responsibility when it comes to helping their citizens remain legal here. 

• Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, DodgerRodger said:

So, there are a couple of us in this predicament, i.e. cannot do 90-day report and cannot get residency proof from the Embassy and relying on IDP being potentially unlawful.  Both the Embassy and DLT say you can get from the other.  I got mine last November and I understand the British Embassy ceased issuing them in December.  I told them by email that it was a mistake for the reasons outlined in this thread but obviously to no avail.  Although it may still be possible to get it done on an exceptional basis.  To even get to contact them you have to email, which goes to a "civil servant" in London who tries to fob you off with quotes from the gov.uk website.  I was insistent that my question was Thailand specific and eventually got referred.

When I was at DLT last week I spoke to a new arrival from Singapore who had his brand new Embassy certificate.  Not fair doesn't even come close to describe this cluster****

It is indeed. I can't even get a reply to my emails. I just get an automated response telling me they won't be responding. Someone should make a sitcom about their incompetence...

when I took my aussie drivers licence(heavy vehicle, car, bike, truck and bus) in to get my thai licence they gave me my car and bike licence no problems but the man at the truck licencing said I had to pay him or go through a full driving test with him which was just laughable seeing I had been driving trucks for over 20 years so I told him he could stick it where the sun dont shine, with thai law it may also have not been able to issue me one as it would contravene thai worker laws but obviously the person issuing them saw his chance at making some extra money. The thai licencing is a joke at best as most have no idea of the laws or how to drive anyway

20 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

No. Immigration need you present. Just like doing an extention of stay with an agent  

The agent really does nothing other than hold one's hand.

You really should stop commenting on things you have little knowledge of.

I renewed both my DLs in December, I never set foot in immigration for my residence letter. Not sure where you are based, but in addition to holding my hand at the Land Transport dept, the agent did all of the legwork. That's the whole idea of paying them.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, sungod said:

I renewed both my DLs in December, I never set foot in immigration for my residence letter. Not sure where you are based, but in addition to holding my hand at the Land Transport dept, the agent did all of the legwork. That's the whole idea of paying them.

Well done. I guess you were lucky.

28 minutes ago, sungod said:

At which DLT / immigration? 

Providing details and agent contact may give an option for the peeps struggling with a CoR in this thread.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

I doubt people using agents for menial tasks is "normal"

Depends if you want to waste a day of your life queuing up in different places. You obviously have nothing better to do in your menial life.

Edited by sungod
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Melpomene said:

Thanks for this - I'll try them again and be a bit more insistent this time. This is the only thing stopping me getting a DL here and without it I'll be driving illegally once my IDP expires. I'd optimistically like to think the UK embassy bears some responsibility when it comes to helping their citizens remain legal here. 

also, try calling them and explain the situation - if a thai answers, then have your missus talk to them.

+6623058333

They charge 2000+thb for 5 mins and an A4 piece of paper - I'm not sure why they remove more and more services when its fairly lucrative for them

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, sungod said:

Depends if you want to waste a day of your life queuing up in different places. You obviously have nothing better to do in your menial life.

15 minutes the last time I needed a CoR. About 2 hours at licence office.

That's 2 hours and 15 minutes and good for 5 years and 11 months. 

Edited by youreavinalaff

17 minutes ago, Sigma6 said:

They charge 2000+thb for 5 mins and an A4 piece of paper - I'm not sure why they remove more and more services when its fairly lucrative for them

I think if you haven’t (or can’t) obtain a 90 day report from Immigration, then in lieu of the Affirmation of Residence document (and the cost and hassle of getting that from the Brit Embassy who it seems from an official perspective have become far less helpful and more awkward to deal with) the Agent option suggested by SunGod could be the better option IF they can easily get the letter of residence document for you - especially as the Agent Option probably costs the Same as the Embassy document (Brit Embassy anyway). 

Otherwise, IF you have the necessary documentation yourself, there really is no need to use an agent IMO - the process is incredibly simple.

That said, IF an agent can get you thought in less than an 90mins then that may be worth it for some.

I’ve always done this stuff myself, even back when I had no Thai language I found that with patients it worked out in the end, but it may take a little more time.

Last time I did mine...  (DL & MCL) I submitted documents etc in the morning, then was given a queue ticket with perhaps about 100ppl before me...  So I went for a lunch and a massage, came back, I’d missed by queue (by quite a lot), but the official put me straight to the front and I was 'back in the game’ without waiting making payment and having my licence photo taken. 

One of the issues I have with using any agent is leaving my passport with them (I’m not even sure this is necessary with a DL agent though, but suspect it is). 

20 hours ago, DodgerRodger said:

Sorry for the delay, but I think clarification on a couple of points may help.

Firstly, I used an agent for speed of process because when I was last in Bangkok in November last year even an agent could  not get me an appointment within the 5 week time I had to get the job done.  This time around all went very quickly.  I don't actually live in Thailand full time yet.

Secondly the use of the IDP is as per DLT requirements, please refer to DLT website (here's a quick screen cap image.png.9dbd9042504331e38bbda4b1f5f361d4.png

And yet the UK government says Thailand requires an IDP to be based on the 1968 convention:

https://www.gov.uk/driving-abroad/international-driving-permit

23 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

And yet the UK government says Thailand requires an IDP to be based on the 1968 convention:

https://www.gov.uk/driving-abroad/international-driving-permit

And yet the agent for the UK Government, i.e. The Post Office, issue the 1949 version for travel to Thailand (mine did at least...)

I understand Thailand are recent signatories to the UN's 1968 Convention meaning they currently are signatories to both 1949 and 1968.  There's no doubting DLT's requirements at the moment.

1 hour ago, transam said:
6 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Do you get a new licence often ?

Eeeeeer, think I am on my fourth...????

Can you prove that ??.. back it up with a link ??????????

Instead of renewing to 5 years you should have gone for the temp 2 year option just so you can win ???? swinging contests with those who want clarification of your experience !!!! :whistling:

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Geezz...  some people are just digging so hard for an argument !!!....

...... Normal people would know exactly what Trans meant !!!! :whistling:

Normal people know it is a lot more involved obtaining a new licence than renewing an existing one.

• Sad 1