Getting Non-immigrant Visa In Non-origin Country

Hey everyone, I'm an American student that is studying abroad in Thailand this fall. Right now, I'm on vacation in Poland until then. I went to the Thai embassy in Warsaw to get my visa, since I won't have time to do it before I come back to America and leave for Thailand. However, they told me they don't know if they can give me one, and they won't know for a couple weeks since the boss is on vacation.

I'm pretty stressed out about this, so does anyone know if they might end up granting me one even though I'm not applying my native country. I have the necessary documents (passport, photos, letter from college). Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Normaly it is difficult to get non imm visa outside your own country,near sure you will have to go home to get it.

Not right at all. There's no reason whatsoever that prohibits you from applying and obtaining most visas at any Thai Embassy or Consulate in any country. The ONLY exception is an O-A Non-Immigrant retirement visa.

Sorry if my information posted was miss leading,i actualy meant it to say that getting the non o was hard to get outside your own country.

And that statement is STILL wrong.

The OP seems to be a student, and as such he should have no trouble getting the visa

as long as he has documentation from the Thai school/unversity where he is studying.

Sorry if my information posted was miss leading,i actualy meant it to say that getting the non o was hard to get outside your own country.

JR Texas: Some people have alluded to a rumor that the next xenophobic-induced change to the visa rules will come in the form of preventing people from getting certain types of visas from any country except their country of origin.

In other words, suppose I am living in Thailand (I am) and need a tourist visa......if such a rule is implemented, I will have to fly back to the USA to get a tourist visa. I will not be able to get one in Cambodia (pretty much can't now) or Malaysia or Singapore, etc.

I wonder if we have just heard about an instance in Poland where rumor is becoming a fact. If so, well........you know what I am going to say.

Let us stick to dealing with reality,

not bar room rumours.

Thank you

JR Texas: Is refusing to give the OP a visa reality or fantasy? This is what he said: Hey everyone, I'm an American student that is studying abroad in Thailand this fall. Right now, I'm on vacation in Poland until then. I went to the Thai embassy in Warsaw to get my visa, since I won't have time to do it before I come back to America and leave for Thailand. However, they told me they don't know if they can give me one,

Is refusing to give the OP a visa reality or fantasy?

It it fantasy; and I suspect you well know that. No visa has been refused. The lower level official advised they were not sure if a specific visa could be issued with the documentaion presented. As we do not know what visa was applied for or what college paperwork was presented we can not even speculate with any degree of accuracy.

I am an American studying in Thailand I assure you that you can get your student visa outside your home country because I did it. I got my non im education visa in Singapore. The only problem you may have is they may not issue it if the letter from the school is not addressed to the Polish Embassy. I had to go to Singapore twice, the first time they wouldn't give me the visa because my letter was addressed to the New York Embassy, they said that the letter had to be addressed to the Signapore Embassy. So, they gave me a tourist visa and then I had to fly back to Thailand and get a new letter and then fly back to Singapore and get my student visa. It may be worth calling the University and getting another letter that is addressed to the Polish Embassy sent to you in Poland, but do it immediately because I know for my University it takes two weeks for them to get the letter signed by the appropriate people although they may be able to rush it for you if it is an emergency. But this was 3 years ago, so I am not sure if things have changed.

I'm pretty stressed out about this, so does anyone know if they might end up granting me one even though I'm not applying my native country. I have the necessary documents (passport, photos, letter from college). Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

I'm an American and used to get 60 day tourist visas from Thai embassies or consulates in Abu Dhabi, Dubai and Islamabad. I also got my original retirement visa issued to me in Dubai.

I believe, however, that the decision to issue a visa lies totally with the ambassador or consular officers, so if for some reason they don't want to issue one, that's their prerogative, and they needn't even explain why they've refused.

The ONLY exception is an O-A Non-Immigrant retirement visa.

Not always true. Some consulates, including the one in Dubai, do issue retirement visas to people resident in those countries but who are not citizens. That's how I got mine.

Edited by Kaojai

Normaly it is difficult to get non imm visa outside your own country,near sure you will have to go home to get it.

Not right at all. There's no reason whatsoever that prohibits you from applying and obtaining most visas at any Thai Embassy or Consulate in any country. The ONLY exception is an O-A Non-Immigrant retirement visa.

Great post. Are their any Honourary Consulates in Poland? They are usually a better bet than the Embassies

WHAT ABOUT TYPE "B" Visas? I do not think you can apply for them outside residence country

WHAT ABOUT TYPE "B" Visas? I do not think you can apply for them outside residence country

Wrong. You certainly can apply for Non-Immigrant B visa's anywhere.

Great post. Are their any Honourary Consulates in Poland? They are usually a better bet than the Embassies

Alas, there are none. Only the Thai Embassy.

Alas, there are none. Only the Thai Embassy.

Thanks for the info. I guess being British does have some advantages!