Snapshot of OA renewal in Pattaya

Yesterday a friend of mine married to a local, needed the help of an agent to get his yearly OA done, (14k) was forced to open an account

with BKK bank, who in turn forced him to buy an 'accident insurance' for 8k, at Pattaya's immigration, they were more than 100 people there

waiting, many of them Chines and old farangs, under a tent in the scorching heat, not allowed into the immigration hall for fear of Covid,

Although he was done in a short time thanks to the agent, the experience was daunting. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

It was a condition made by the agent and the immigration department to open an account with Bkk bank if they wanted things to go smoothly. and BTW, requirements and conditions for visa renewal by agents are changing all time and what use to work before not working now.

• Haha 1

My first extension on my OA was done during covid, I couldn't leave to restart the original Visa. I used an agent in Pattaya, I didn't want to purchase proper insurance, the agent sold me a policy for 3K baht. I've since moved on to an O visa and extension.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, gargamon said:

I surely don't understand why people still use Bangkok bank. I used them until they stopped accepting my foreign ATM card for withdrawals. Opening a K-bank account was painless, no need to buy insurance. 

Agents, BKB and Immigration all seem to be cahoots with each other $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Agents, BKB and Immigration all seem to be cahoots with each other $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Yes for those who need an agent because something is missing.

If I understand it right the friend got an extension on Non O-A without having account/money in order nor having the required insurance.

If so (I could be wrong) then 14k would be real bargain.

Usual price in such cases is 25k.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

Yesterday a friend of mine married to a local, needed the help of an agent to get his yearly OA done, (14k) was forced to open an account

So he has no money to stay here, reap what you sow, not even 400k for a marriage visa/extension to do himself

13 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

My first extension on my OA was done during covid, I couldn't leave to restart the original Visa. I used an agent in Pattaya, I didn't want to purchase proper insurance, the agent sold me a policy for 3K baht. I've since moved on to an O visa and extension.

Friend in Jomtien got a some "old age accident insurance" for 6k or so.

This year he paid 10k in total (with financials in order).

I got rid of the Non O-A plague last July with a border run and now also Non O extension.

3 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

When I opened my Bangkok Bank account some years back the lady said I needed to buy insurance. Which I repeatedly said I didn't want, so she said I'd need to deposit 20K to open account. She got a little huffy but I got the account without paying for insurance.

It's just a scam, they told my friend "buy insurance no need for COR or rent contract" go figure who is reaping the profit from these unnecessary insurances  ?

8 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Yes for those who need an agent because something is missing.

If I understand it right the friend got an extension on Non O-A without having account/money in order nor having the required insurance.

If so (I could be wrong) then 14k would be real bargain.

Usual price in such cases is 25k.

If he did not have a bank-account, which is not necessary when the Permit to stay based on his original 1-year Non Imm O-A Visa did not expire yet, he obviously would not be able to apply for the 1-year extension of that Non Imm O-A Visa. 

Imo - but not knowing the full story with all details - it would have been far better for him to have exited Thailand in the final days of his Permit to stay, and do that at the Mukdahan border-crossing with Laos.  The Savannakhet Thai Consulate is just over the Friendship bridge, and him being married to a Thai national could then have applied there for a 1-year MultipleEntry Non Imm O Visa for reason of marriage.  Such application does NOT require any proof of funds, and only needs a copy of his official Marriage certificate and his Thai wife accompagning him. 

• Like 1

I already have a Bangkok Bank account. My agent provided the finance I had to visit the bank with them but not immigration. Extension based on Retirement back in 2 days 12,500. Based on a Non O.

Edited by jimn

3 hours ago, brianthainess said:

It's just a scam, they told my friend "buy insurance no need for COR or rent contract" go figure who is reaping the profit from these unnecessary insurances  ?

Has anyone heard of them actually paying out after an accident?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Stevemercer said:

I'm with the SCB which has some sort of 'compulsory' accident insurance, but it only costs 600 Baht per annum. Last year, I fell through the roof and my wife took me to the Bangkok Hospital in Khon Kaen. They asked for my SCB ATM card which paid for 18,000 Baht of the overall 28,000 Bahtt bill.

At the time, I wasn't aware of the insurance so it was a nice surprise.

Clear answer thanks. I too am pleasantly surprised. Good to know if I decide to open a Thai account. I'll probably check out SCB first of course ???? 

18 hours ago, BusyB said:

Has anyone heard of them actually paying out after an accident?

When I opened my account at Kasikorn I paid some nominal fee for 5000 baht of accident insurance. A couple of months later, while staying in a hotel in Chiang Mai, I fell out of bed and hit the concrete floor head first and split my eyebrow open. (Bad dream?). It was pretty bloody and I was dizzy for a couple of hours. In the morning I went to the emergency room, got a scan of my head, and 5 stitches. The cost was 8000 baht. When I returned to BKK I filed a claim with Kasikorn and the 5000 baht was deposited into my account within the month. I was so pleased with the insurance that at bought 50,000 baht the next year. I never had to make another claim and unfortunately they don’t cover you after 65 years of age. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, MPoll said:

When I opened my account at Kasikorn I paid some nominal fee for 5000 baht of accident insurance. A couple of months later, while staying in a hotel in Chiang Mai, I fell out of bed and hit the concrete floor head first and split my eyebrow open. (Bad dream?). It was pretty bloody and I was dizzy for a couple of hours. In the morning I went to the emergency room, got a scan of my head, and 5 stitches. The cost was 8000 baht. When I returned to BKK I filed a claim with Kasikorn and the 5000 baht was deposited into my account within the month. I was so pleased with the insurance that at bought 50,000 baht the next year. I never had to make another claim and unfortunately they don’t cover you after 65 years of age. 

Fell out of bed lol ... 

But yes they do seem to pay out.

They wouldn't try to sell me the insurance anyway as I'm over 65 555 ...