Revenue Department are proposing a travel tax for outbound Thai and permanent residents

Every Dick Tom and Harry in the goverment have lately been devising ways how to fleece travelers, first tourists now Thais and PR, no end to their scheming ways how to get more money from everyone.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, anchadian said:

B.P. are reporing that the Revenue Department are proposing a travel tax for outbound Thai and permanent residents.

Not exactly, the RD has issued a questionnaire asking Thais and PRs their opinion on a tax, that's all.  

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, GameMaster said:

Link to the source please.

16. The Bangkok Post, Khaosod, Pattaya Mail and the Phuket News do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on ASEAN NOW. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to the Bangkok Post, Khaosod, Pattaya Mail and the Phuket News publications will be deleted from the forum. These restrictions are put in place by the above publications, not by ASEAN NOW. In rare cases, forum administrators or the news team may use these sources under special permission.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Every Dick Tom and Harry in the goverment have lately been devising ways how to fleece travelers, first tourists now Thais and PR, no end to their scheming ways how to get more money from everyone.

How is the government "fleecing" tourists?   You're not seriously suggesting that a B300 tourist fee (if it ever happens) is fleecing, surely?   

A Revenue Dept questionnaire to Thais and PRs is not fleecing anyone, either.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

15 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

Imagine the rivers of gold they would have if they managed to tax the income of all of the little ghosts working abroad and from farang sponsors.  They should be focussing upon taxing inbound money transfers not departures.

Why should they tax inbound funds which have already been taxed at source?

Have you not heard of the dual taxation agreements between countries?

https://www.rd.go.th/english/766.html

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

How is the government "fleecing" tourists?   You're not seriously suggesting that a B300 tourist fee (if it ever happens) is fleecing, surely?   

A Revenue Dept questionnaire to Thais and PRs is not fleecing anyone, either.

There is already a 700b departure tax.

An RD questionairre implies they would like to create a new tax.

So, following on from the 300b tourist tax thats likely coming soon, it appears this government is desperate for cash.

This 1000 was proposed in order to limit people spending their money abroad. Seriously. Of course this is not really a well thought out idea. Who would change his mind to depart because of the ridiculously low amount of THB 1'000.--. All these taxes at arrival or departure regardless of its amount (be it 300, 700, 1000 or even multiples thereof) do not have the slightest impact on anything IMHO. Peanuts for anybody who can afford a flight ticket.

5 minutes ago, Sigma6 said:

So, following on from the 300b tourist tax thats likely coming soon, it appears this government is desperate for cash.

Which is easy. Departure 800 baht, arrival 250 baht. All people. How hard is it? No money wasted on questions. Use logic. Why are governments so stupid?

3 minutes ago, moogradod said:

This 1000 was proposed in order to limit people spending their money abroad. Seriously. Of course this is not really a well thought out idea. Who would change his mind to depart because of the ridiculously low amount of THB 1'000.--. All these taxes at arrival or departure regardless of its amount (be it 300, 700, 1000 or even multiples thereof) do not have the slightest impact on anything IMHO. Peanuts for anybody who can afford a flight ticket.

An extra 1000bt could almost double the price of certain flights so, yes, I'd say it's significant.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Sigma6 said:

why is all of this starting to feel like im booking a st at a nana gogo...

1 minute ago, JayClay said:

An extra 1000bt could almost double the price of certain flights so, yes, I'd say it's significant.

Interesting. We are talking about flights that leave Thailand. I am not aware of any flight abroad that is in the price range of 1000 THB. Please just tell me only one. I would like to learn. We do usually fly Business Class to far away destinations and then 1000 is near to nothing. I guess even to Vietnam or Cambodia or Laos flying in the baggage compartment it must be more. But maybe I am really wrong. Just tell me one flight abroad in this price range please.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:
3 hours ago, anchadian said:

B.P. are reporing that the Revenue Department are proposing a travel tax for outbound Thai and permanent residents.

Not exactly, the RD has issued a questionnaire asking Thais and PRs their opinion on a tax, that's all.  

And that is not the same as proposing?

pro·pose
verb
gerund or present participle: proposing
  1. 1.
    put forward (an idea or plan) for consideration or discussion by others.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Sigma6 said:

You think the illegal Thai ghosts are paying tax somewhere?

I was replying to @Adumbration who seems to want the government to tax ALL incoming money transfers.

If you are going to use my post, then please use all of it.

58 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

Imagine the rivers of gold they would have if they managed to tax the income of all of the little ghosts working abroad and from farang sponsors.  They should be focussing upon taxing inbound money transfers not departures.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, moogradod said:

Interesting. We are talking about flights that leave Thailand. I am not aware of any flight abroad that is in the price range of 1000 THB. Please just tell me only one. I would like to learn. We do usually fly Business Class to far away destinations and then 1000 is near to nothing. I guess even to Vietnam or Cambodia or Laos flying in the baggage compartment it must be more. But maybe I am really wrong. Just tell me one flight abroad in this price range please.

I'm not going to search around for bargain flights because I'm not in the market for one.

But here's the first search I did for a flight between Bangkok and Malaysia with a price of just over 2000bt. So a 1000bt tax is still a nearly 50% increase which is still significant.

Screenshot_2023-05-06-07-23-39-429-edit_org.adblockplus.browser.jpg

8 minutes ago, BenStark said:

And that is not the same as proposing?

pro·pose

verb
gerund or present participle: proposing
  1. 1.
    put forward (an idea or plan) for consideration or discussion by others.

Well, you posted a definition of "proposing", I suppose.   What they are doing is proposing to see the results of a questionnaire.

3 minutes ago, JayClay said:

I'm not going to search around for bargain flights because I'm not in the market for one.

But here's the first search I did for a flight between Bangkok and Malaysia with a price of just over 2000bt. So a 1000bt tax is still a nearly 50% increase which is still significant.

Accepted, JayClay. I was really not aware that you could fly that cheap to KL. I did never understand as well the Discount Airlines in Europe (Ryanair etc.). No idea how they may exist (if they still do) with the rates they did offer in the past. An airplane is something expensive - especially its maintenance and airport taxes etc.

• Thumbs Up 1

Keep in mind that this is a departure tax that is being discussed, not simply an airport or air flight departure tax. It's 1000 for flights and 500 baht for land and sea, all according to the Bangkok Post.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JayClay said:

I think some people have problems imagining any situation that doesn't specifically apply to them.

We were not talking about border crossings. It was about flights abroad. So you can spare your comment. But in a way you are right - of course you do not think about any possible situation which may even more hairy than the one you descibe. But I guess I do not have to apologize for that.

1 minute ago, John Drake said:

Keep in mind that this is a departure tax that is being discussed, not simply an airport or air flight departure tax. It's 1000 for flights and 500 baht for land and sea, all according to the Bangkok Post.

OK, got it.

5 minutes ago, moogradod said:

Accepted, JayClay. I was really not aware that you could fly that cheap to KL.

We can fly that cheap because of the other subsidising our fares by flying business and first class ????