Will Thailand get a third prime minister with the Shinawatra name?

webfact

17 hours ago, ALLSEEINGEYE said:

Thailand deserves better, I have been here 20 years and do not want to see history repeat itself, but we farangs are just along for the ride.

Those that do not know how things were under the shins are about to find out, be careful what you wish for.....

Thaksin probably enriched himself which could be seen as a bad thing and even strictly illegal if laws were even followed in today's world. But I found immigration was more welcoming to falang before with Thaksin.  Visas were for  longer periods and less hassle in my situation. Maybe not everybody's. I hear more positive things about Thakky but I'm not deeply routed in Thai politics. I would much prefer the Young chap Thanatorn to be given a chance. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/10/2023 at 1:52 PM, ALLSEEINGEYE said:

Thailand deserves better, I have been here 20 years and do not want to see history repeat itself, but we farangs are just along for the ride.

Those that do not know how things were under the shins are about to find out, be careful what you wish for.....

hmm Shinawatra win elections...yellow shirts demonstrate, government change, red shirts, military coup.....I think I have seen that film already

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, h90 said:

hmm Shinawatra win elections...yellow shirts demonstrate, government change, red shirts, military coup.....I think I have seen that film already

The last few decades.

Just repeating itself. 

1 hour ago, candide said:

There are three big differences:

- the first is that the yellow-green network doesn't need to make a military coup. They have put mechanisms in the constitution which may allow them to oust a government on any pretext (ex the strategic plan),

- the second is that it will likely not be the red shirts from the NE, but the new democracy protesters (the children of the Bangkok Sino-Thai middle class),

- last but not least, Prayut/Prawit's army Corp has been sent back to the Eastern provinces. All the military forces present in Bangkok are now directly supervised by someone who cannot be discussed. Nothing can happen without his approval. In this respect, It may be useful to know about his history around  20 years ago.

The historic and repetitive relevance goes back further than that. 

50-60 years might be more appropriate - per contemporary times.

The core power base/tradition hasn't truly changed for ages. 

A popular uprising might be in the offing......or not.

14 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

The historic and repetitive relevance goes back further than that. 

50-60 years might be more appropriate - per contemporary times.

The core power base/tradition hasn't truly changed for ages. 

A popular uprising might be in the offing......or not.

I was specifically alluding to the personal history of someone who cannot be discussed, you know, like who was friend with him and who was not at that time.

Edited by candide

2 minutes ago, candide said:

I was specifically alluding to the personal history of someone who cannot be discussed, you know, like who was friend with him and who was not at that time.

Same as I am speaking of.....just in a more cryptic manner. 

22 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks!

So I am not alone here with my experience with that family.

I hope they will all die in the desert. 

Pleased do tell us about your experience with "that family".  Don't whine about how protests and the repression of the protests inconvenience you, the protests wouldn't have happened if election results were allowed to stand.

Did you consider that they hate Thaksin for a reason? Or maybe hundreds of reasons.

I know few people who lived here when Thaksin was PM who don't hate him.

And about tourism: It would be great if there wouldn't be so many of them.

I know few people who lived here when Thaksin was PM who did hate him.  You really should make some friends outside of Bangkok.

2010 - never forget!

c1_1268591_170615041716.jpg

Yeah, protest calling for elections can get messy, especially when the military is firing on protesters, journalists, a nurse tending the wounded...

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, candide said:

There are three big differences:

- the first is that the yellow-green network doesn't need to make a military coup. They have put mechanisms in the constitution which may allow them to oust a government on any pretext (ex the strategic plan),

- the second is that it will likely not be the red shirts from the NE, but the new democracy protesters (the children of the Bangkok Sino-Thai middle class),

- last but not least, Prayut/Prawit's army Corp has been sent back to the Eastern provinces. All the military forces present in Bangkok are now directly supervised by someone who cannot be discussed. Nothing can happen without his approval. In this respect, It may be useful to know about his history around  20 years ago.

Sounds good if true.....The new democracy protesters can't be bought and won't be violent....Whoever in charge I like it silent and boring...

36 minutes ago, TimeMachine said:

Democracy is done with. Enter the new age. Dictatorship is the way forward. People can't hack losing honorably. 

People's Dictatorship of Siam.

The chances of another Shinawatra as PM are slim to none. I live in an area that has been pro PT for as long as red shirts have been in existence, but the thing that is turning those die hard PT supporters away is the fact that PT have 3 nominations for PM, which they are taking as meaning there a 3 different factions within PT that cannot agree 100% on everything. Most of the PT supporters I've met are now going to vote for MFP. They've even gone to the extent of buying and wearing MFP tee shirts.