Parents Face Rising Costs Ahead of New School Term

snoop1130

57a25c5114c70624c72c3fe00df00cc0_small.png

BANGKOK (NNT) - A recent study by the University of the Thai Chamber of Commerce has indicated that despite tuition fees remaining unchanged, school uniforms and items are more expensive. This has led to estimated nationwide expenditures totaling 57.8 billion baht for the new term.

The poll, which surveyed 1,230 respondents nationwide, found that the higher prices of some uniform items - such as shoes and socks - resulted in expenses averaging 19,500 baht per child for a 5.3% increase compared to the same period in 2019. Only 63% of the parents said they had enough money to cover these expenses - the lowest proportion in eight years since 2016.

The study also revealed that most parents want free meal programs for students, the abolition of the "sticker and pin" system, the promotion of bilingual schools in all regions, and free education up to the bachelor’s degree level.

The poll reflects the ongoing recovery of post-pandemic Thailand’s economy, as parents show willingness to spend more. However, Dr Thanawat Pholvichai, President of the University of the Thai Chamber of Commerce, stressed that the recovery remains fragile and limited to specific groups.

Tuition fees average 9,500 baht per child, while school maintenance fees average 2,300 baht. Textbook and learning materials costs remain largely unchanged from the previous year. Despite this, total nationwide spending is projected to exceed 57.8 billion baht – the highest in 14 years since the poll began in 2009.

Full Story: https://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG230510113458291

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2023-05-10

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Sad 3

14 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Just spent 10kbht outfitting my 12yo for government school (inc. school 'extras').

I guess those 'extras' include Boy Scout/ Girl Guide uniform for Thursdays.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Yes sir, as well as 2 different types of shoes, one for regular days, and then those for the day of physical education. Yesterday was the day we picked them up and paid the fees ourselves at the Wat school the stepdaughter attends.  What's irritating is that you can only buy the uniforms and items from the school itself, as all of the uniforms have to have the school logo on it somewhere, and your Childs name embroidered onto it.  

Simply resolved by doing away with the institutional ideals of uniforms and associated......plus the unnecessary and exorbitant costs of "extras", all of which should be provided by the schooling systems. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, zzaa09 said:

Simply resolved by doing away with the institutional ideals of uniforms and associated......plus the unnecessary and exorbitant costs of "extras", all of which should be provided by the schooling systems. 

But then you miss out on the many benefits of school uniforms.

It doesn't sound like the outlay is a lot, and regular clothes would probably cost more anyway.

The bigger issue is schools that make parents buy from them, probably with a little bit extra added on to the price for themselves.

3 hours ago, KannikaP said:
3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Yes sir, as well as 2 different types of shoes, one for regular days, and then those for the day of physical education. Yesterday was the day we picked them up and paid the fees ourselves at the Wat school the stepdaughter attends.  What's irritating is that you can only buy the uniforms and items from the school itself, as all of the uniforms have to have the school logo on it somewhere, and your Childs name embroidered onto it.  

We can get the required clothing at Lotus's  or Makro, or other private shops. They do not need the school name on them. Name tags we got in a roll of 50 and sew on ourselves.

Yes, two pair of shoes needed here.

You can also get names and logos embroidered on at various places.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

sounds like a dream compared to the cash i send to get my kid in the US clothes for the fall-winter term.

• Thanks 1

19K seems like a stretch. Maybe at some private schools but certainly not the average. 

Everything for my kid seems cheap. He's in uni not and I doubt he spends that on uniforms and whatnot. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I had to buy several different outfits for different days. I think that is crazy. They just need one standard uniform. I can get most at lotus and have them embroidered there. You also have to get different shoes for each uniform plus you have to pay for all of their books. It adds up quickly and I think the school should supply the books at minimum. They can be recycled most of the time. I have thrown away some and donated others. I had to take him out of a private school because it just costs too much and sent him to a semi private school. Sad that it comes down to this. Also if you are looking to transfer your child to a semi private school be prepared to either hold them back a year to learn to read and write Thai or send them to extra after school classes to learn it.
Something the international schools don’t focus on, which is incredibly stupid as the kids need to read and write Thai. I never really thought about it until it was too late. 

Every Year at this time sees many people having to Pawn their Gold or Goods of some value in order to fund their Childrens Education.

I think this Year the problem is going to be really bad, as many of the prices for necessities that the Children need have rocketed by 50 % in most cases

The costs do not just stop at the Term beginning, there are the added costs of School Trips, Scouting Camps Etc Etc Etc, and many of these costs are an additional burden to people that have little Money to send their Children to School in the first place.

I think it’s a great idea about school uniforms no bickering from the other kids on what type of designer shoes/trainers/clothing etc.

Try buying school uniforms in the U.K. a you get much change out of £150 which includes shoes.

On 5/11/2023 at 5:25 AM, fdimike said:

Personally I believe in keeping the kids in a uniform because it helps lessen the differences between poor families from the wealthy especially in the rural areas.  However I disagree with the scout uniform issue as well as the sport uniform which I view as just a waste of money.  Scouting should not be a mandatory part of the school program.  It should be an after-class activity.  JMHO 

Poor and wealthy kids dont go to the same school. 

1 hour ago, SoilSpoil said:

Poor and wealthy kids dont go to the same school. 

That's often not true. Some of the best schools in the country are cheap government schools and kids get in on their grades. 

In any event, there's rich, and there's rich, just as there's poor and there's poor. They have assistance programs to help the desperately poor get uniforms to match the working poor, but there are no programs to help the rich get uniforms to match the ultra-rich. 

1 hour ago, Andycoops said:

Where is the state 

No investment in the country's future

Gross incompetence

Another lost generation and debt piling up on those that can least afford it 

Just like the in the United States, the state has abandoned efforts to educate the children, 

• Like 1