UK government scraps plan to replace all EU laws by the end of 2023

onthedarkside

4 minutes ago, placeholder said:

As usual, when someone's got nothing,  they go to motive. Because, you know, while you can't prove motive you can't disprove it either. And since 48% of UK voters voted to remain, were they also rejoicing in the subjugation of the UK by the Franco German alliance?

And the polls consistently show now that a majority of UK citizens think that leaving the EU was a mistake. Let me amend that: a majority of UK citizens hate the UK so much that they think that leaving the EU was a mistake.

It was to be expected and it was predicted .

As all the old Leave voters naturally die , the UK E.U opinion will move over to the majority wanting to Remain 

9 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Given that all the polls show that those who want to rejoin are almost at a consistent absolute majority and those who want to remain are increasingly far behind, the trends point to a virtually inevitable result.

How come no Political party have said they would re-join if they got elected ?

If re-join was so popular, surely that would be an election winner ?

Not even Labour have said they would re-join if elected 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Well, as I noted the level of support for rejoining is now around 50%. And as you noted, that number will only increase with time. Labour can wait a while.  And start being a whole lot more accommodating and friendly with the EU. There are also politically speaking even pressing needs like restoring the NHS.

Its above 50 % and even 40 % of the people voting for Re-join/Labour would get them elected , even Labour getting 38 % of the vote would get them elected .

If over 50 % of British people want to re-join and Labour just need 38 % of the vote to get elected , why arent they running with the promise to join ?

(Like conservatives did when leaving?)

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Its above 50 % and even 40 % of the people voting for Re-join/Labour would get them elected , even Labour getting 38 % of the vote would get them elected .

If over 50 % of British people want to re-join and Labour just need 38 % of the vote to get elected , why arent they running with the promise to join ?

(Like conservatives did when leaving?)

It isn't quite as simple as that.

The increase in support for rejoining the EU isn't linear and constant across the UK. Labour need to regain the 'Red Wall' seats - where support for Brexit is still the strongest - if they are to get elected.

They are obviously worried that standing on a 'rejoin' platform would jeopardize their chances.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, RayC said:

It isn't quite as simple as that.

The increase in support for rejoining the EU isn't linear and constant across the UK. Labour need to regain the 'Red Wall' seats - where support for Brexit is still the strongest - if they are to get elected.

They are obviously worried that standing on a 'rejoin' platform would jeopardize their chances.

Yes, many Labour voters changed alliance and voted Conservative because Conservatives vowed to get Brexit done and Labour  need to get those voters back and they wont get the voters back by stating they will re-join the E.U

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Yes, many Labour voters changed alliance and voted Conservative because Conservatives vowed to get Brexit done and Labour  need to get those voters back and they wont get the voters back by stating they will re-join the E.U

Labour have made clear statements regarding policies that can only be understood in the context of realigning the UK to the EU.

The block to rejoining the EU is not Labour, it’s not even the mainstream of the Tory Party, it’s the ERG.

The UK will rejoin the EU when the Tories have sorted out their internal problems with the extreme rightwing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Zero.

Not one response.

But hardly surprising, if a Brexiteer were to try to give an example they’d have to deal with facts.

Let's start with those surrounding fisheries. For example the sustainable fisheries partnership agreements with the likes of Gambia.

There is one, but there are actually hundreds of laws that will or have already been repealed. Since it's a long list and you clearly have more free time than I do, if you are that interested in my views you can list each of them and I'll give you a Yes/No answer in terms of whether I support removing each one (it may take me some time though as I fly to Manila this afternoon).

However, once again you appear to have deliberately deflected into the minutiae and ignored the bigger picture that we are now able to repeal any of these laws as and when we see fit. It's like someone is released from jail and they sit down in their living room to watch TV with a cup of tea and you say "You had TV and tea in the jail's common area, it was pointless leaving". It's an inane argument.

You don't undo decades of legislation in a couple of years. We now do what we want, when we want. The attempts to subjugate Britain have once again failed. I know it stings, but acceptance will make you happier in the long run.

3 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Let's start with those surrounding fisheries. For example the sustainable fisheries partnership agreements with the likes of Gambia.

There is one, but there are actually hundreds of laws that will or have already been repealed. Since it's a long list and you clearly have more free time than I do, if you are that interested in my views you can list each of them and I'll give you a Yes/No answer in terms of whether I support removing each one (it may take me some time though as I fly to Manila this afternoon).

However, once again you appear to have deliberately deflected into the minutiae and ignored the bigger picture that we are now able to repeal any of these laws as and when we see fit. It's like someone is released from jail and they sit down in their living room to watch TV with a cup of tea and you say "You had TV and tea in the jail's common area, it was pointless leaving". It's an inane argument.

You don't undo decades of legislation in a couple of years. We now do what we want, when we want. The attempts to subjugate Britain have once again failed. I know it stings, but acceptance will make you happier in the long run.

Nice deflection.

You haven’t given a single example of an EU law that should be repealed and why.

• Thumbs Up 1

55 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Labour have made clear statements regarding policies that can only be understood in the context of realigning the UK to the EU.

The block to rejoining the EU is not Labour, it’s not even the mainstream of the Tory Party, it’s the ERG.

The UK will rejoin the EU when the Tories have sorted out their internal problems with the extreme rightwing.

The moment a party states they will hold a referendum on rejoining, their chances are toast.

That's why none of them have mentioned it.  

The UK will not be rejoining. Best just to accept it, after all it's the hope that kills you...

3 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

The moment a party states they will hold a referendum on rejoining, their chances are toast.

That's why none of them have mentioned it.  

The UK will not be rejoining. Best just to accept it, after all it's the hope that kills you...

Because the demographics favor your contention?

6 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Nice deflection.

You haven’t given a single example of an EU law that should be repealed and why.

I already stated the laws surrounding fisheries and gave you examples.

If you want to know the exact laws I am referring to, they are there online for you to check. If you think I am going to waste my day running around looking up information for you, you are very much mistaken. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

Because the demographics favor your contention?

If it was an election winning policy, Labour would have done it, wouldn't they?

If the demographics favour YOUR contention then such a simple move would get Labour back into power and the UK back into the EU. So ask yourself a simple question, why haven't they done it? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/13/2023 at 2:58 PM, puchooay said:

In a vote where the only candidates were "Yes" or "No", that is unlikely.

What world do you live in where an abstention or non-vote unquestionably equals a yes? Those sick or absent have an opinion which isn't necessarily yes. Abstentions can be for a myriad of reasons. Your assumption if faulty at best.

14 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I already stated the laws surrounding fisheries and gave you examples.

If you want to know the exact laws I am referring to, they are there online for you to check. If you think I am going to waste my day running around looking up information for you, you are very much mistaken. 

You didn’t give examples, agreements are not laws.

Brexiteers tell us there are 4000 EU laws they want to repeal, but oddly can’t name one of them or why it must be repealed.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

If it was an election winning policy, Labour would have done it, wouldn't they?

If the demographics favour YOUR contention then such a simple move would get Labour back into power and the UK back into the EU. So ask yourself a simple question, why haven't they done it? 

Best to wait a bit longer until the demand is overwhelming. Then hold another referendum. The trend lines are clear.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Labour are fighting the next election on a handful of key issues that are at the top of voters concerns.

Brexit is a Tory problem, Brexit failures are Tory problems and Brexit is splitting the Tory Party.

Labour can focus on domestic issues and leave the Tories to stew in the Brexit mess they themselves made.

And you complain about your questions not being answered? 555

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

You didn’t give examples, agreements are not laws.

Brexiteers tell us there are 4000 EU laws they want to repeal, but oddly can’t name one of them or why it must be repealed.

Treaties are agreements and EU Treaty Law is direct law in any EU member state. Laws that remain on the books and affect fishing need to go, just as all the regulations which hurt small UK businesses.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Yep. About 2041 is fair.

Support for reunification is already at just about 50%. Are you projecting that God is going to exempt UK's aged from the usual course of mortality so that it will take another 18 years until there are enough voters to support a referendum? And keep in mind that there are a lot o "don't knows". Folks who most likely  take less of an interest in the topic and are less likely to vote.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Treaties are agreements and EU Treaty Law is direct law in any EU member state. Laws that remain on the books and affect fishing need to go, just as all the regulations which hurt small UK businesses.

Treaties are treaties, there’s a clue in the name.

Name a law and explain why it must be removed.

Given there are supposedly 4000 so called ‘EU laws’ it shouldn’t be difficult to pick one.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, JonnyF said:

As the older voters die off the young become middle aged. They see that all the lies and horror stories about Brexit never materialized. They accept the status quo. They grow wiser with experience. They see the corruption engulfing the EU.

Those turning legal age to vote never really experienced life in the EU. It's an argument for a previous generation. They won't really care.

It's over. We left. Even if the EU still exists in 20 years the UK wont be rejoining it. Marvellous.

Let us know when the trends change to conform to what your crystal ball has shown you. Until, then, you've got nothing.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1