UK government scraps plan to replace all EU laws by the end of 2023

onthedarkside

5 minutes ago, placeholder said:

As I've pointed out already, Nigel Farage specifically disagreed with that and I can't find any record of Brexiters contradicting him. And of course, I doubt it's  constitutionally valid for one govt to rule out another vote in perpetuity. Unless, of course, you believe that democracy means never getting to say you're sorry and acting on it.

You will have to ask Nigel Farage about that  , as I cannot speak on his behalf (and I dont know what he said) .

Shall we have a referendum every five years asking whether should should Remain/Leave/Rejoin/Releave the E.U and continually be leaving and re-joining and leaving again and be continually in a state of leaving and joining every few years ?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

You will have to ask Nigel Farage about that  , as I cannot speak on his behalf (and I dont know what he said) .

Shall we have a referendum every five years asking whether should should Remain/Leave/Rejoin/Releave the E.U and continually be leaving and re-joining and leaving again and be continually in a state of leaving and joining every few years ?

If that's what the citizens of the UK want, that's what they should get. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, placeholder said:

If that's what the citizens of the UK want, that's what they should get. 

That is not what they want though .

It quite clearly wouldn't work , quite possibly the U.K could be leaving and re-joining the E.U at the same time , if we voted the Rejoin and then voted to leave a again five years after , as it would take five years to re-join again .

So the UK could be out the E.U , about to join again and also getting ready to leave again  

I doesn't work 

Edited by Mac Mickmanus
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

That is not what they want though .

It quite clearly wouldn't work , quite possibly the U.K could be leaving and re-joining the E.U at the same time , if we voted the Rejoin and then voted to leave a again five years alter , as it would take five years to re-join again .

So the UK could be out the E.U , about to join again and also getting ready to leave again  

I doesn't work 

First off, the EU would have some say about what the UK could do if it were to rejoin. In addition you're assuming that it would go back and forth. You're the one who brought up the fact that demographics are working against sustaining Brexit.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, placeholder said:

First off, the EU would have some say about what the UK could do if it were to rejoin. In addition you're assuming that it would go back and forth. 

Well if the UK voted to join the E.U again, then it would indeed be "going back and forth" ???? And I really couldn't predict the outcome of the third 2028 referendum about whether the U.K should Join/leave/ re-join/releave the E.U

2 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Nor can you predict if there would be a third referendum. Once again, as you pointed out, young people who lived with the UK being a member of the EU overwhelmingly have a favorable attitude towards the EU.

You either need to choose whether you want just one referendum or have a referendum every five years .

You cannot choose to have  referendums until you get the result that you want, and then stop having referendums after that .

36 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

You either need to choose whether you want just one referendum or have a referendum every five years .

You cannot choose to have  referendums until you get the result that you want, and then stop having referendums after that .

If there's sufficient political pressure for another referendum, then there will be another referendum. I am sure, though, that to gain reentry, the UK is going to have to agree that for X number of years, the UK will be bound to stay in the EU.

And as far as your claim that it was agreed that there would be only one referendum in perpetuity, I still haven't found any evidence for it.

18 minutes ago, placeholder said:

If there's sufficient political pressure for another referendum, then there will be another referendum. I am sure, though, that to gain reentry, the UK is going to have to agree that for X number of years, the UK will be bound to stay in the EU.

And as far as your claim that it was agreed that there would be only one referendum in perpetuity, I still haven't found any evidence for it.

If the Pound/Baht exchange rate went to 70 Baht per Pound , would you still want the U.K to re-join the E.U.

6 hours ago, JonnyF said:

We left the EU so my default position is to remove them all, when we decide to do so. We are British so we do what we want, when we want.

If you think any specific laws are worth keeping, list them and make a detailed case why they should be kept.

If I can be bothered, I will dismiss them one by one. 

So you would simply bin all legislation which originated in Brussels without knowing what would be the effect of doing so?

Re specific laws worth keeping. Try Regulation (EC) No 178/2002 governing Food Law and the various other Regulations and Directives referenced in this document and subsequent amendments. The need to have laws governing Food Safety appears self-evident to me. 

That should keep you busy for a while. When you've finished your analysis let me know. We can discuss your findings before moving onto other related subjects such as Animal Welfare, the Environment, etc.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, JonnyF said:

We are British so we do what we want, when we want.

If you want the UK to become Europe's version of North Korea then this mantra of yours might hold true.

If, however, you want the UK to continue playing an active part in the world (especially with the EU member states), then there will be many occasions when this will not be the case.

I don't find it hard to envisage scenarios where the Flat Earthers in the Tory Party would like a piece of EU law repealed but where doing so would break the (Windsor) Agreement. In such cases, I doubt that any responsible UK government would repeal that law.

• Like 1

UK - is having "enquiries" about the price of eggs, the price of bread and the role of supermarkets - unemployment is rising yet companies can't find staff......like the rest of the world, they blame covid, the Ukraine war, anything but the main cause which is unique to the UK and is entirely their own fault - like Bart Simpson the government just repeats "it wasn't me, I didn't do it!"

But they did and it was Brexit!

Edited by kwilco

1 hour ago, kwilco said:

UK - is having "enquiries" about the price of eggs, the price of bread and the role of supermarkets - unemployment is rising yet companies can't find staff......like the rest of the world, they blame covid, the Ukraine war, anything but the main cause which is unique to the UK and is entirely their own fault - like Bart Simpson the government just repeats "it wasn't me, I didn't do it!"

The UK employment rate was estimated at 75.9% in January to March 2023, 0.2 percentage points higher than October to December 2022.

between October to December 2022 and January to March 2023, there has been a record high net flow out of economic inactivity.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peopleinwork/employmentandemployeetypes/bulletins/uklabourmarket/may2023

2 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

I can help you with this. Nigel Farage, arch Brexiteer and a hero to the many uninformed, proclaimed before the referendum that if Remain won by a small margin (perhaps 52-48%) then it would be "unfinished business" and there should be a re-run. 

That isn't what he said .

1 hour ago, kwilco said:

Completely untrue .

The egg shortage in the U.K has been caused by Birdflu , the shortage of bird food usually bought in from the Ukraine and rising energy costs , once again caused by the Ukraine war.

The egg shortage has nothing to do with Brexit 

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/egg-shortage-supermarkets-bird-flu-cost-of-living-b1040104.html

5 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

That isn't what he said .

False. it's exactly what Farage said.

Nigel Farage wants second referendum if Remain campaign scrapes narrow win

Nigel Farage warns today he would fight for a second referendum on Britain in Europe if the remain campaign won by a narrow margin next month.

The Ukip leader said a small defeat for his leave camp would be “unfinished business” and predicted pressure would grow for a re-run of the 23 June ballot.

Farage told the Mirror: “In a 52-48 referendum this would be unfinished business by a long way. If the remain campaign win two-thirds to one-third that ends it.”

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/nigel-farage-wants-second-referendum-7985017

And as far as I can find, no one from the Brexit camp disagreed with him.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, placeholder said:

Nigel Farage warns today he would fight for a second referendum on Britain in Europe if the remain campaign won by a narrow margin next month.

The Ukip leader said a small defeat for his leave camp would be “unfinished business” and predicted pressure would grow for a re-run of the 23 June ballot.

Farage told the Mirror: “In a 52-48 referendum this would be unfinished business by a long way. If the remain campaign win two-thirds to one-third that ends it.”

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/nigel-farage-wants-second-referendum-7985017

You lost track

I meant this bit was false and wrong "and there should be a re-run. "

He never said that .

6 hours ago, placeholder said:

Probably because few considered it relevant because what one man (Farage) said would not alter anything. If the vote had been remain (by any margin) then it would have been accepted, without any complaint, by the vast majority of leavers. We were ready for that. 

Conversely, and as we have seen, there has been non-stop whining from the remainers for nearly 7 long years already! 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Probably because few considered it relevant because what one man (Farage) said would not alter anything. If the vote had been remain (by any margin) then it would have been accepted, without any complaint, by the vast majority of leavers. We were ready for that. 

Conversely, and as we have seen, there has been non-stop whining from the remainers for nearly 7 long years already! 

Because Farage was such an unimportant figure in the Leave campaign.? You really want to go with that? Give me a break.

And thanks for offering a contrary-to-fact assertion. That's the kind of thing that's worth the pixels it's printed in and no more.

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

You lost track

I meant this bit was false and wrong "and there should be a re-run. "

He never said that .

Even if Joseph Bloggs had put the comment in quotes, your point would still be picayune. But, in fact, he accurately represented the meaning of what Farage said. How does this differ in meaning from what Joseph Bloggs wrote?

"The Ukip leader said a small defeat for his leave camp would be “unfinished business” and predicted pressure would grow for a re-run of the 23 June ballot.

• Like 1