Changing marriage extension to retirement

1 minute ago, MJCM said:

I see what you mean, he doesn’t disclose on his way out of the country that he is divorced, IO at the border will see that his extension is still valid and will just stamp him out. 

correct?

Correct.

Even if he remained in Thailand there is little likely hood of any repercussions.

Immigration is not notified of his divorce. 

The issue could arise if x wife wanted to cause problem for him.

Best option would be to exit Thailand and consider his next step.

If under 50 his options are limited. 

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Correct.

Even if he remained in Thailand there is little likely hood of any repercussions.

Immigration is not notified of his divorce. 

The issue could arise if x wife wanted to cause problem for him.

Best option would be to exit Thailand and consider his next step.

If under 50 his options are limited. 

good thinking ????

Another question then.

suppose he as multiple reentry permit, how is he going to solve that? Oke on returning don’t tell the IO about it, but whatif the IO spots it. 

Don’t know if asking the IO to let him in visa exempt will work?

On 5/12/2023 at 1:42 PM, Hakuna Matata said:

The most stupid thing to do. What about the mandatory Health Insurance that costs around 50,000.- Baht or more per year?

It's when seeing misinformation like this that reminds us why we miss Ubonjoe... ????

9 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

It's when seeing misinformation like this that reminds us why we miss Ubonjoe... ????

Fortunately for all of us we have record of all past threads and ubonjoe advice is available in all those threads.

It's basically his legacy that we all receive and value so much. 

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

On 5/12/2023 at 12:52 PM, JammG said:

Can anyone who has done this confirm wife has to attend? And if so is it for first renewal only?

Yes, in SaKaeo in December 2022.  My wife was outside and they called her in and asked her some questions.  Then they had her sign a copy or her Thai ID.  They actually suggested that I make the change to reduce the amount of documents we had to submit every year.  The Marriage extension has a lot of requirements.  The retirement extension is simple, but more money has to be left in the bank.  I went in planning to renew my marriage extension and walked out with a retirement extension.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mansell said:

I have a similar question. I just got divorced three days ago…..is my extension no longer valid? I was under the impression it was good until the end of my present extension in October. And do I have to report this to Immigration?

part 2.

I want to do a visa run to Cambodia and return as a tourist and then get an O visa.

I want to leave Thailand on my American passport, and enter Cambodia on my brand new never used British passport, and return into Thailand on that British passport.

it sounds simple….but is it simple and possible?

Thanks only for informed answers and not some guesses.

Your marriage extension is no longer valid. Your best move is to leave Thailand (without a re-entry permit) to cancel the extended permission to stay that way. [The alternative is to go to Immigration (who will possibly fine you for not informing them immediately at 500 baht per day) and apply for an extension for a different reason (if you are denied, but still pay the 1,900 baht fee, you get 7 days to leave the country).]

You can only change passports if you do so when you leave Thailand by air. You cannot do a change of passports during a border bounce by land.

In addition, and this is important, airport immigration may detect that you have previously been in Thailand on a different passport, interrogate you about it quite vigorously, and even try to make you use the original passport for your re-entry. This may not happen, and by all means go ahead with your plan, but be prepared. If it does happen, please report back on the outcome. Good luck!

On 5/12/2023 at 4:36 PM, MJCM said:

Good Point.

They (IO) wanted, on my change from Marriage -> Retirement the ID card of my Wife and after I got the year stamp I looked into my passport and also noticed a TM30 report automatically done (Wife is the House owner)

Yeah when I moved in with GF in order to get cheaper rent she signed the lease.  When I went to do retirement they needed her to complete the tm30 as the house was in her rental name.

Maybe it is the business man in me but I always take more than I think I will need jus in case.  Even taking the gf with me still .  All it costs me is a coffee at starbucks lol but is a safety incase something comes up

18 hours ago, BritTim said:

Your marriage extension is no longer valid. Your best move is to leave Thailand (without a re-entry permit) to cancel the extended permission to stay that way. [The alternative is to go to Immigration (who will possibly fine you for not informing them immediately at 500 baht per day) and apply for an extension for a different reason (if you are denied, but still pay the 1,900 baht fee, you get 7 days to leave the country).]

You can only change passports if you do so when you leave Thailand by air. You cannot do a change of passports during a border bounce by land.

In addition, and this is important, airport immigration may detect that you have previously been in Thailand on a different passport, interrogate you about it quite vigorously, and even try to make you use the original passport for your re-entry. This may not happen, and by all means go ahead with your plan, but be prepared. If it does happen, please report back on the outcome. Good luck!

Thanks for your response.

I was talking to an agent about a border run….but she seemed to think because I haven’t been out of the country in four years it could be a problem reentering. She’s presently talking with the border guys crossing from Thailand into Cambodia. I’d never heard of anything like this before. She was pushing for a VOA visa….it wasn’t a way to make more money as she gave my deposit back to me and said I might have to fly. Any thoughts?

18 minutes ago, Mansell said:

.but she seemed to think because I haven’t been out of the country in four years it could be a problem reentering

Have no idea what's she is on about.

Just add this suggestion to your options.

Fly out with your US pp and enter Vietnam with UK pp.

Think that's possible.

Others will confirm.

UK pp visa exempt entry to Vietnam.

Saigon ripper joint for mini holiday.

Return to Thailand visa exempt (it's not VOA) 

That stamps you in for 30 days.

Over 50? 

Obtain a non O based on retirement.

You have a Thai bank account so have 800k in your account on day you apply for non O 

1 hour ago, Mansell said:

Thanks for your response.

I was talking to an agent about a border run….but she seemed to think because I haven’t been out of the country in four years it could be a problem reentering. She’s presently talking with the border guys crossing from Thailand into Cambodia. I’d never heard of anything like this before. She was pushing for a VOA visa….it wasn’t a way to make more money as she gave my deposit back to me and said I might have to fly. Any thoughts?

It does not seem as though you were using a very well informed agent. As I wrote before, you cannot change passports at a land crossings. Also, at most land crossings, your time in Thailand on a marriage extension will have zero impact on your ability to return with a visa exemption (which is what you qualify for, not a visa on arrival).