ABS light turned on now bike won't start

1 hour ago, Kawazaki650R said:

I'm not 

Doesn't matter now as they have found the noise.????

I use Kawasaki in Lampang. They are very good. If yours is the same then not much to worry about. 

Edited by VocalNeal

41 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Doesn't matter now as they have found the noise.????

I use Kawasaki in Lampang. They are very good. If yours is the same then not much to worry about. 

Got a call now and they said spark plugs need to be changed 500 baht x2. Are there cheaper sparks plugs I could buy online? Also spark plug gaskets. 

I'm trying to ask them for the leak down test. They're saying they can do compression but doesn't seem to understand when I'm talking about the leak down test. They just say they have to split the engine to see what's causing the high oil consumption. It's a bit confusing as his English is decent but not always enough to really understand. 

13 minutes ago, Kawazaki650R said:

to see what's causing the high oil consumption.

How do they know the engine has high oil consumption? Because you told them? Sorry I'll have to read the whole thread to find out how many Kms you have done since the last oil top up. 

Edit: I don't see any mention of high oil consumption. How often do you need to top it up?

I'm only familiar with leakdown tests on 2-strokes as that is how one checks the crankcase seals. Compression test should be good enough to check piston sealing.

The only reason i can see for a leakdown test on 4-strokes is that some have auto decompression systems to make starting easier, which makes accurate compression tests difficult. 

Edited by VocalNeal

10 minutes ago, Kawazaki650R said:

Got a call now and they said spark plugs need to be changed 500 baht x2. Are there cheaper sparks plugs I could buy online? Also spark plug gaskets. 

I'm trying to ask them for the leak down test. They're saying they can do compression but doesn't seem to understand when I'm talking about the leak down test. They just say they have to split the engine to see what's causing the high oil consumption. It's a bit confusing as his English is decent but not always enough to really understand. 

See what results the compression test comes up with first.

The plugs are a fair price so let Kwackas supply them. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

How do they know the engine has high oil consumption? Because you told them? Sorry I'll have to read the whole thread to find out how many Kms you have done since the last oil top up. 

Edit: I don't see any mention of high oil consumption. How often do you need to top it up?

I'm only familiar with leakdown tests on 2-strokes as that is how one checks the crankcase seals. Compression test should be good enough to check piston sealing.

The only reason i can see for a leakdown test on 4-strokes is that some have auto decompression systems to make starting easier, which makes accurate compression tests difficult. 

Yes I've been having high oil consumption for a while. It was leaking oil so changed a few gaskets. Stopped leaking externally. But still seems like it's consuming a lot of oil. Last top up probably around 3 months ago. Checked the bike before leaving for my trip. Did around 130-1500 km over 5 days. All in all since last top up maybe 2000 km? Maybe a bit more. Give or take. Returned home after 5 days and suddenly oil very low again. So kawasaki saying it's probably worn piston rings or something and wants to open up the engine. 

Edited by Kawazaki650R

1 minute ago, Kawazaki650R said:

Yes I've been having high oil consumption for a while. It was leaking oil so changed a few gaskets. Stopped leaking externally. But still seems like it's consuming a lot of oil. Last top up probably around 3 months ago. Checked the bike before leaving for my trip. Did around 130-1500 km over 5 days. Got home and suddenly oil very low again. So kawasaki saying it's probably worn piston rings or something and wants to open up the engine. 

According to an article from Bell Performance, “The majority of manufacturers consider one quart of oil in the range of 1,500 miles to be acceptable. It should also be pointed out there are some performance vehicles that will consume a quart of oil in less than 1,000 miles and is also considered acceptable.”

5 minutes ago, Kawazaki650R said:

All in all since last top up maybe 2000 km? Give or take. Returned home after 5 days and suddenly oil very low again. 

On a long trip you could always check and top up every morning. Of course this does mean carrying a small bottle of oil. 

I know of guys who check and spray their chains every morning.

Edited by VocalNeal

9 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

The 650 Kwackas twin lump has been going for years.

My Versys 650 used about 25 ml of oil every 1000 kilos it was never a problem.

2 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

According to an article from Bell Performance, “The majority of manufacturers consider one quart of oil in the range of 1,500 miles to be acceptable. It should also be pointed out there are some performance vehicles that will consume a quart of oil in less than 1,000 miles and is also considered acceptable.”

That's more often than I thought. Good info. So maybe I'm in the normal slightly high range but nothing crazy then. 

Just now, VocalNeal said:

On a long trip you could always check and top up every morning. Of course this does mean carrying a small bottle of oil. 

I know of guys who check and spray their chains every morning.

I checked daily and seem fined. Didn't top up though and didn't know that was needed on longer trips tbh. 

6 minutes ago, Kawazaki650R said:

Yes I've been having high oil consumption for a while. It was leaking oil so changed a few gaskets. Stopped leaking externally. But still seems like it's consuming a lot of oil. Last top up probably around 3 months ago. Checked the bike before leaving for my trip. Did around 130-1500 km over 5 days. Got home and suddenly oil very low again. So kawasaki saying it's probably worn piston rings or something and wants to open up the engine. 

Again I don't see why kwacka workshop don't see what the compression test results are first before talking engine split. 

I'm having doubts of the expertise of the kwacka outfit your going too. 

Just now, Kawazaki650R said:

I checked daily and seem fined. Didn't top up though and didn't know that was needed on longer trips tbh. 

Well, I don't do that either but most of my trips are less than 1000kms. 

An engine rebuild seems only , at this point, to be for your piece of mind. The overheating and blowing out of coolant seems more of a worry and that might be a suspect head gasket which they will replace if they tear down the engine. 

Just ride it around for a bit longer before you dive in. 

Just now, VocalNeal said:

Well, I don't do that either but most of my trips are less than 1000kms. 

An engine rebuild seems only , at this point, to be for your piece of mind. The overheating and blowing out of coolant seems more of a worry and that might be a suspect head gasket which they will replace if they tear down the engine. 

Just ride it around for a bit longer before you dive in. 

Coolant haven't been an issue for a long time. Just a lot of weird things have happened but only once or twice to then never happen again. I'll def just do the minimum this time if the compression comes up all good because the bike runs perfect otherwise. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Kawazaki650R said:

That's more often than I thought. Good info. So maybe I'm in the normal slightly high range but nothing crazy then. 

No it's just a motorbike with an engine that's bullet proof and been used in bikes for years.

My 2011 Versys 650 is still going strong with no problems at all, bike models can be the same but can still be individual.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I'm having doubts of the expertise of the kwacka outfit your going too. 

I think there is a difference between being there and talking to the guy on the telephone. We don't know that the person on the end of the phone has even looked at the bike.

3 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

I think there is a difference between being there and talking to the guy on the telephone. We don't know that the person on the end of the phone has even looked at the bike.

Same guy. Just some language barrier to some degree. And lack of knowledge on my part. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Limited Language skills either way and not knowing much about motorbikes is a problem.

He should ride his bike to Phayao. ????

37 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Limited Language skills either way and not knowing much about motorbikes is a problem.

He should ride his bike to Phayao. ????

???? Yao had a problem once with a BMW 650 single. He did a compression test but forgot the bike had auto decompression. So got confused with the numbers.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Kawazaki650R said:

Compression test within spec. 1295-1948. 

Should I ask them to check the Ecu or something else? Otherwise I'll just replace the spark plugs and change oil and keep a close look at oil levels for the next few weeks. 

If there are no fault/alarm lights on and they test ride it. Yes. 

5 minutes ago, Kawazaki650R said:

Compression test within spec. 1295-1948. 

Should I ask them to check the Ecu or something else? Otherwise I'll just replace the spark plugs and change oil and keep a close look at oil levels for the next few weeks. 

Plug in Ecu test for electronic bike systems as said before make sure that is done. 

8 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

???? Yao had a problem once with a BMW 650 single. He did a compression test but forgot the bike had auto decompression. So got confused with the numbers.

Wouldn't blame him for that.

My old Panther 600 single had a lever similar to choak lever on old bikes so you could kick start it. 

Edit no issues with the ECU

Also I forgot to mention. When I accelerate then come of the gas abruptly I always hear on singular clicking mechanical sound coming from the engine. Would that be the valves? 

And I also have a lot of back fire pops when coming of the gas after accelerating hard. I think previous owner removed the exhaust backplate and something else but I'm not sure if the sound is due to a overly lean fuel mixture of if it's due to the previous owner tinkering with the exhaust to make it sound louder 

Edited by Kawazaki650R

13 minutes ago, Kawazaki650R said:

Also I forgot to mention. When I accelerate then come of the gas abruptly I always hear on singular clicking mechanical sound coming from the engine. Would that be the valves? 

And I also have a lot of back fire pops when coming of the gas after accelerating hard. I think previous owner removed the exhaust backplate and something else but I'm not sure if the sound is due to a overly lean fuel mixture of if it's due to the previous owner tinkering with the exhaust to make it sound louder 

At the risk of repeating myself an ECU computer diagnosis plug in  check on the bike will correct any fuel fault and detect timing issues. 

5 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Are they going to do a computer analysis to check the bikes electronic systems.

There is no need to plug into the ECU if there is no code thrown up on the dash. The analysis will just report nothing - as in a a space on the computer screen that shows nothing.

There might be a history of previous codes that have been thrown up, but generally that history is wiped after the previous error is removed. But I am only familiar with Suzuki and Honda OBD tools these days.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, LS24 said:

There is no need to plug into the ECU if there is no code thrown up on the dash. The analysis will just report nothing - as in a a space on the computer screen that shows nothing.

There might be a history of previous codes that have been thrown up, but generally that history is wiped after the previous error is removed. But I am only familiar with Suzuki and Honda OBD tools these days.

With the Kwackas plug it in to check ECU settings takes neally an hour and 200 baht. 

• Confused 1