ABS light turned on now bike won't start

2 minutes ago, Kawazaki650R said:

I had the bike checked before the trip and everything was OK. And if you check my previous posts it did leak oil before but we've replaced the leaking gaskets. Also coolant is only twice with the first time being kawasaki putting in too much so it came out of the hose. 

If Kawasaki can put in too much coolant, they're just as capable of putting in too little oil. Learn to do your own checks after the servicing is done, just for your own peace of mind.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, MartinL said:

If Kawasaki can put in too much coolant, they're just as capable of putting in too little oil. Learn to do your own checks after the servicing is done, just for your own peace of mind.

And I checked the oil. But will double check again. But in general it seems like all the problems I've had usually happens after longer rides and if I let the bike cool down it's all normal again. For example after riding for 1h. If I turn the bike off I gotta give it gas to start. When it's cold it

always starts up super easy. 

Edited by Kawazaki650R

Just now, Kawazaki650R said:

And I checked the oil. But will double check again. But in general it seems like all the problems I've had usually happens after longer rides and if I let the bike cool down it's all normal again. For example after riding for 1h. If I turn the bike off I gotta give it gas to start. When it's cold it's always starts up super easy. 

It does sound like an ECU problem, or at least an electrical problem.

I would assume Kawasaki has a diagnostics plug in for your bike.....

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, transam said:

It does sound like an ECU problem, or at least an electrical problem.

I would assume Kawasaki has a diagnostics plug in for your bike.....

Exactly buddy no more speculation needed.

• Thumbs Up 2

32 minutes ago, MartinL said:

Of course it's unlikely to be a seized engine but we're just putting possibilities out there.

The OP has just squashed the seizure suggestion with his latest post.. 

Oil light under braking? Surely you haven't let your oil level get so low!! If the oil pump suction is at the back of the engine, oil will surge forward under braking and starve the pump. Check your oil level. Maybe coolant too while you're at it. If it's blown out coolant, you might have a leaking head gasket. 

The OP luvs his bike but doesn't know much about how it works. 

Fair call but he needs to get it to Kawasaki dealership.

17 hours ago, Kawazaki650R said:

Maybe it came from the radiator? It definitely sounded like something mechanical suddenly broke. 

Battery was recently changed so it's fine. Kawasaki will pick it up on Monday and I'll update this thread then. Got a feeling it's something major. 

15 hours ago, Kawazaki650R said:

Huh weird. Just tried starting it and it started perfectly. Will ride it tmrw to see it ABS is flashing or not. Should I still take it to kawasaki for them to check it? It's been doing some weird stuff sometimes 

Oil lamp goes on when breaking hard is that normal? Also sometimes the engine temp light goes on but always goes off if I turn it on and off. Spat out coolant a few times too. And now this. 

Check the cooling fan...not unheard of for them to fail

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Kawazaki650R said:

Yeah my first time owning a bike but I'm learning by asking here ????

That's all very well asking here  something can be suggested and checked by the owner with little knowledge.

The problem with fuel injected bikes with ECU control, electronic wiring and sensors etc without a hand and eye on practical look at the bike it's a guess game. 

11 hours ago, papa al said:

Maybe some debris in the spokes.?

Mag rims on z650. 

Even if the ABS sensor Brake disc gets debris from road or brake dust it would still not stop the bike from starting.

Edited by Kwasaki

On 5/12/2023 at 6:48 PM, Kawazaki650R said:

If I turn the bike off I gotta give it gas to start. When it's cold it always starts up super easy. 

I learned about that from my father maybe 50 years ago. That is normal behavior (at least for carburetor engines) since forever.

I think it's time for you to learn a little more about bikes and engines.

And especially: If red lights turn on, like the "oil lamp" then let a professional check it ASAP. Because otherwise you might ruin your engine to a level where it becomes real expensive to repair it - or buy a new one.

On 5/12/2023 at 6:48 PM, Kawazaki650R said:

And I checked the oil. But will double check again. But in general it seems like all the problems I've had usually happens after longer rides and if I let the bike cool down it's all normal again. For example after riding for 1h. If I turn the bike off I gotta give it gas to start. When it's cold it

always starts up super easy. 

Giving a warm bike a bit of throttle on start up may be necessary.

For me it's a battery saver. 

From cold starting the z is on auto choke. 

Edited by Kwasaki

7 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I learned about that from my father maybe 50 years ago. That is normal behavior (at least for carburetor engines) since forever.

I think it's time for you to learn a little more about bikes and engines.

And especially: If red lights turn on, like the "oil lamp" then let a professional check it ASAP. Because otherwise you might ruin your engine to a level where it becomes real expensive to repair it - or buy a new one.

I know that. It's just that at first ABS turned on. Weird sound. Wouldn't start. Waited for it to cool down. Tried starting it and it started no problem. Put it in gear and low oil lamp was on. So turned it off. Now that I turn it on oil lamp doesn't go on. So there's something going on with the electrics and something else for sure. But kawasaki tomorrow. Won't drive it there. Will ask for pick up. 

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, papa al said:

Maybe side-stand is down

or kill-switch is actuated.?

No no. I pulled up into my condo abs turned on. Turned the bike off. Really loud sound that kept going for 30 seconds like something mechanical broke. Wouldn't start. Starter sounded funny. Waited an hour. It turned on no problem. Put in in gear and rode 50m but oil lamp didn't turn off so turned of the bike and walked it back. Checked oil which is low but can still see it in the oil meter so turned the bike on again and now no oil light and it starts fine. No wierd sounds. 

25 minutes ago, Kawazaki650R said:

No no. I pulled up into my condo abs turned on. Turned the bike off. Really loud sound that kept going for 30 seconds like something mechanical broke. Wouldn't start. Starter sounded funny. Waited an hour. It turned on no problem. Put in in gear and rode 50m but oil lamp didn't turn off so turned of the bike and walked it back. Checked oil which is low but can still see it in the oil meter so turned the bike on again and now no oil light and it starts fine. No wierd sounds. 

Maybe its nothing to do with the ABS at all and this is somewhat of a red-herring. 

On both my car and my bike the ABS light comes on at the beginning - I think it goes off after a few seconds or when moving. 

So, perhaps the issue with the bike is something completely different and because the ABS light came on it drew your attention from an alternative issue.

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

So, perhaps the issue with the bike is something completely different and because the ABS light came on it drew your attention from an alternative issue.

I guess there is a problem with the CAN-BUS. Because on modern bikes basically all sensors are connected to the CAN-BUS. So it doesn't really matter is the connector from sensor A has a problem on sensor B. It influences the CAN-BUS and if the traffic on that bus has a problem, then the bike has a problem and it's time for the dealer or an electronic expert. 

49 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Maybe its nothing to do with the ABS at all and this is somewhat of a red-herring. 

On both my car and my bike the ABS light comes on at the beginning - I think it goes off after a few seconds or when moving. 

ABS came on at the end of a 100 km ride just before I arrived home. Then what I mentioned earlier happened. I've had weird issues with the bike before that never happened again afterwards. But will take it to kawasaki tmrw. 

On 5/12/2023 at 3:15 PM, Kawazaki650R said:

Yeah so I'm thinking it's something else. Loud noise from the front that was buzzing ticking vibrating for 30 seconds after I turned of the bike that slowly faded. Then the bike won't start and the starter makes a buzzing noise it didn't make before. 

Starter solenoid?

• Haha 1

All modern bikes throw up error codes on the dash. Some do it as soon as the error happens, some need button access on the dash. It is just basic diagnostic code to start with.

Do the following to get the error code on a lot of Kawasakis:

1. Push the dash button uintil the odometer is displayed. You don't want the trip meter(s), just the odo.

2. Then press both the adjust and set buttons (I think that's what they are called) at the same time for a few seconds. The ODO will change from the KM reading to an error code. If there is more than one error, it will show each code for a few seconds.

Write the codes down and post the those codes here. Then we will know more.

If that doesn't work, just hold one of the dash buttons for 10 seconds and see if that gets a result. Then try the other button (s) until you do.

Bikes with no errors on the engine management system will not show any codes and the above functions will seem not to work.

Edited by LS24
added code seek for newver models (I think)

19 minutes ago, LS24 said:

All modern bikes throw up error codes on the dash. Some do it as soon as the error happens, some need button access on the dash. It is just basic diagnostic code to start with.

Do the following to get the error code on a lot of Kawasakis:

1. Push the dash button uintil the odometer is displayed. You don't want the trip meter(s), just the odo.

2. Then press both the adjust and set buttons (I think that's what they are called) at the same time for a few seconds. The ODO will change from the KM reading to an error code. If there is more than one error, it will show each code for a few seconds.

Write the codes down and post the those codes here. Then we will know more.

If that doesn't work, just hold one of the dash buttons for 10 seconds and see if that gets a result. Then try the other button (s) until you do.

Bikes with no errors on the engine management system will not show any codes and the above functions will seem not to work.

I'll see if I can get the codes from them. They just called me and said as for the noise it was the radiator/fan that was loose? So they will tighten it. They'll do a compression test. High oil consumption they say is most likely due to worn piston rings. They didn't mention anything about the difficulty starting when hot and other things though. 

Couldn't it be anything from worn pistons rings to a blownheadgasket to misaligned valves? 

What else should I ask them? 

15 minutes ago, Kawazaki650R said:

I'll see if I can get the codes from them. They just called me and said as for the noise it was the radiator/fan that was loose? So they will tighten it. They'll do a compression test. High oil consumption they say is most likely due to worn piston rings. They didn't mention anything about the difficulty starting when hot and other things though. 

Couldn't it be anything from worn pistons rings to a blownheadgasket to misaligned valves? 

ask for a leakdown test. It show if it is rings, inlet or exhaust valve. Do you have any oil or oil residue in your air box by any chance?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Kawazaki650R said:

Are they going to do a computer analysis to check the bikes electronic systems.