ABS light turned on now bike won't start

So I just got back from a trip. I probably did around 1500 km all in all. As soon as I got home the ABS light turned on. I turned the bike (Kawasaki 650 2009) off and it made this weird buzzing/vibrating sound from the front and it kept on buzzing vibrating for quiet a while. Now the bike won't start and the starter sounds weird.

It has been working flawlessly for the last couple of days. No warning signs then suddenly this. 

What could it be? 

Just now, Kwasaki said:

My guess would be a faulty the ABS sensor, dirty, loose fitting or wire connectors problem but as always with these modern bikes a computer plug in analysis needed.

The sound was really loud. Almost sounded like something broke when I turned it off. Came from the front. Now won't start at all. How do I get it to kawasaki? Do they do pick up? 

1 minute ago, Kawazaki650R said:

The sound was really loud. Almost sounded like something broke when I turned it off. Came from the front. Now won't start at all. How do I get it to kawasaki? Do they do pick up? 

Can you disconnect the sensor and see if it will start. 

Other than that you will have to ask for help.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Can you disconnect the sensor and see if it will start. 

Other than that you will have to ask for help.

Gotta get it to kawasaki somehow.

Edit They offer pickup. 300 baht. 

Edited by Kawazaki650R
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Kawazaki650R said:

You can arrange for a transport... 

There are ‘recovery companies’ (commonly for cars) that will come and pick up your bike and take it to the Dealership.

Alternatively, you can contact the dealership and they can help arrange that. 

I recall when my BMW crapped out...  With our credit card (CitiBank) we have 2 free auto-recovery per year - Wife called up CitiBank, then we got a call from the recovery company who brought round a flat-bed trailer (for cars) and we rolled the bike up, strapped it on and the bike was taken to the dealership.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:
6 minutes ago, transam said:

Pull the ABS fuse....

That do the trick if he knows where it is. ????

Defo worth a try..  if it works, then ride it to the Kwaka dealership.. (IF the brakes still function properly that is !!!)... 

Also give the bike a good clean, disconnect / reconnect plugs etc (if you can get access).

But.. As its a bike and as its the breaks... getting it to the dealership to get checked out definitely has to be the best option. 

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Defo worth a try..  if it works, then ride it to the Kwaka dealership.. (IF the brakes still function properly that is !!!)... 

Also give the bike a good clean, disconnect / reconnect plugs etc (if you can get access).

But.. As its a bike and as its the breaks... getting it to the dealership to get checked out definitely has to be the best option. 

I'll see if I can get to the fuse but will take it to kawasaki either way. Luckily it happened right as I parked at home. So no rush...

If the abs sensor breaks does it normally make a loud sound? Because it kinda sounded like something broke physically when I turned it off.

Edited by Kawazaki650R

14 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The brakes will still work there bikes made which you can turn the ABS off. 

11 minutes ago, Kawazaki650R said:

I'll see if I can get to the fuse but will take it to kawasaki either way. Luckily it happened right as I parked at home. So no rush...

If the abs sensor breaks does it normally make a loud sound? Because it kinda sounded like something broke physically when I turned it off.

A loudess clicking sound when ABS is engaged is the system working, hence my guess faulty sensor. 

24 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

A loudess clicking sound when ABS is engaged is the system working, hence my guess faulty sensor. 

Wouldn't say clicking more like a fast vibrating buzzing sound. And if it's the abs how come the bike doesn't start and why does the starter sound buzzy now? 

All ABS systems I've had dealings with don't come into effect until the vehicle has travelled a certain distance after start, e.g. 50 metres. Therefore an ABS fault shouldn't affect starting. Shouldn't even affect running.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, MartinL said:

All ABS systems I've had dealings with don't come into effect until the vehicle has travelled a certain distance after start, e.g. 50 metres. Therefore an ABS fault shouldn't affect starting. Shouldn't even affect running.

Yeah so I'm thinking it's something else. Loud noise from the front that was buzzing ticking vibrating for 30 seconds after I turned of the bike that slowly faded. Then the bike won't start and the starter makes a buzzing noise it didn't make before. 

24 minutes ago, Kawazaki650R said:

Yeah so I'm thinking it's something else. Loud noise from the front that was buzzing ticking vibrating for 30 seconds after I turned of the bike that slowly faded. Then the bike won't start and the starter makes a buzzing noise it didn't make before. 

'From the front'? Where do you mean more precisely? There's nothing electrical in the brake calipers. Nothing that moves mechanically, and therefore could cause the buzzing, in the ABS sensor on the front wheel. The only other thing you might have on the front wheel is the speedo sensor. I have no idea what's in your Kwaka's headlight. Are there electrical relays in there? A faulty relay could definitely cause buzzing. Relays under the tank? Ignition key switch - they can be a common source of trouble. Sorry, I know absolutely nothing about this bike so can't offer any specific suggestions. 

How's your battery? Low battery voltage will prevent the starter relay closing and spinning the starter motor. It'll open and close rapidly. That would certainly cause the buzzing from the starter. Low battery voltage after a long run might mean your battery or charging system is shot.

PS I should also have said, in the last post " ... a certain distance or speed after start ... ".

Edited by MartinL

46 minutes ago, MartinL said:

The onboard computer might realize that there was recently a (big) problem with the ABS. It might not start to protect the rider from a malfunctioning braking system.

18 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

The onboard computer might realize that there was recently a (big) problem with the ABS. It might not start to protect the rider from a malfunctioning braking system.

ABS systems don't affect starting or running of an engine. 

Non-functioning ABS isn't dangerous as long as the hydraulics are intact - the braking system just becomes a 'normal', non-ABS system, something bikers have lived with for decades.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, MartinL said:

ABS systems don't affect starting or running of an engine. 

Non-functioning ABS isn't dangerous as long as the hydraulics are intact - the braking system just becomes a 'normal', non-ABS system, something bikers have lived with for decades.

That's the way it should be.

But maybe the computer detects malfunctioning of that system. Are you sure there is no possibility that for that reason it will not start the engine until the error is cleared? I don't say this is what is happening here, but it is a possibility.

P.S.: Some time ago I analyzed the CAN-BUS traffic in my little KTM Duke. It is amazing how much information is constantly updated, including sensors for the wheels, brake pressure, and much more. 

2 hours ago, Kawazaki650R said:

Wouldn't say clicking more like a fast vibrating buzzing sound. And if it's the abs how come the bike doesn't start and why does the starter sound buzzy now? 

Maybe your starter then or something else has shorten out without being there to look Into can't help. 

1 hour ago, MartinL said:

'From the front'? Where do you mean more precisely? There's nothing electrical in the brake calipers. Nothing that moves mechanically, and therefore could cause the buzzing, in the ABS sensor on the front wheel. The only other thing you might have on the front wheel is the speedo sensor. I have no idea what's in your Kwaka's headlight. Are there electrical relays in there? A faulty relay could definitely cause buzzing. Relays under the tank? Ignition key switch - they can be a common source of trouble. Sorry, I know absolutely nothing about this bike so can't offer any specific suggestions. 

How's your battery? Low battery voltage will prevent the starter relay closing and spinning the starter motor. It'll open and close rapidly. That would certainly cause the buzzing from the starter. Low battery voltage after a long run might mean your battery or charging system is shot.

PS I should also have said, in the last post " ... a certain distance or speed after start ... ".

Maybe it came from the radiator? It definitely sounded like something mechanical suddenly broke. 

Battery was recently changed so it's fine. Kawasaki will pick it up on Monday and I'll update this thread then. Got a feeling it's something major. 

7 minutes ago, Kawazaki650R said:

Battery was recently changed so it's fine ... 

Not necessarily. If there was a charging fault, the battery could have been supplying electric current towards the end of your long trip without having it topped-up by the generator. 

Do a quick check of battery voltage. If you haven't got a voltmeter - does the horn work? Do the indicators work at their normal speed?

Anyway, hope Kawasaki can put you back on the road.

3 minutes ago, MartinL said:

Not necessarily. If there was a charging fault, the battery could have been supplying electric current towards the end of your long trip without having it topped-up by the generator. 

Do a quick check of battery voltage. If you haven't got a voltmeter - does the horn work? Do the indicators work at their normal speed?

Anyway, hope Kawasaki can put you back on the road.

Battery is working. I have one of those volt meters on the bike. But I'll update on Monday. Thanks. 

43 minutes ago, Kawazaki650R said:

Maybe it came from the radiator? It definitely sounded like something mechanical suddenly broke. 

Battery was recently changed so it's fine. Kawasaki will pick it up on Monday and I'll update this thread then. Got a feeling it's something major. 

Running OK before then getting home after trip stopped so something major I again guess not. 

48 minutes ago, Kawazaki650R said:

Battery is working. I have one of those volt meters on the bike. But I'll update on Monday. Thanks. 

One final suggestion. Can you remove the spark plugs? If so, take them out, put the bike in gear and try to push it. Cannot push - might mean engine's seized. 

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, MartinL said:

One final suggestion. Can you remove the spark plugs? If so, take them out, put the bike in gear and try to push it. Cannot push - might mean engine's seized. 

No need to remove plugs, just put it in second or third, then push...:stoner:

7 minutes ago, MartinL said:

Put it 6th and push it, i doubt very much a seized engine. 

It's something electronic. 

Huh weird. Just tried starting it and it started perfectly. Will ride it tmrw to see it ABS is flashing or not. Should I still take it to kawasaki for them to check it? It's been doing some weird stuff sometimes 

Oil lamp goes on when breaking hard is that normal? Also sometimes the engine temp light goes on but always goes off if I turn it on and off. Spat out coolant a few times too. And now this. 

• Confused 1

26 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Put it 6th and push it, i doubt very much a seized engine. 

It's something electronic. 

Of course it's unlikely to be a seized engine but we're just putting possibilities out there.

The OP has just squashed the seizure suggestion with his latest post.. 

Oil light under braking? Surely you haven't let your oil level get so low!! If the oil pump suction is at the back of the engine, oil will surge forward under braking and starve the pump. Check your oil level. Maybe coolant too while you're at it. If it's blown out coolant, you might have a leaking head gasket. 

4 minutes ago, MartinL said:

Of course it's unlikely to be a seized engine but we're just putting possibilities out there.

The OP has just squashed the seizure suggestion with his latest post.. 

Oil light under braking? Surely you haven't let your oil level get so low!! If the oil pump suction is at the back of the engine, oil will surge forward under braking and starve the pump. Check your oil level. Maybe coolant too while you're at it. If it's blown out coolant, you might have a leaking head gasket. 

I had the bike checked before the trip and everything was OK. And ofc I checked it during the trip. And if you check my previous posts it did leak oil before but we've replaced the leaking gaskets. Also coolant is only twice with the first time being kawasaki putting in too much so it came out of the hose. 

But the bike has been having random "hickups" that happens once and never again. Which is strange. Otherwise runs perfectly except a bit hard to start when very hot. 

Edited by Kawazaki650R