Aircon cleaning and repair

Inderpland

4 minutes ago, transam said:

I think the gas thing is a bit of a money earner, an OK system shouldn't need any gas, I mean, how often do you top-up your fridge/freezer.

If you get a tiny leak, the system will empty in no time...🤔

Car A/C is the same, it can run for years with no problem, as long as you keep it active....

In practice always happens once a year in my room,  aircon just not cold anymore.  But just recently I started paying 3-4 times more than other years... 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Terek said:

In practice always happens once a year in my room,  aircon just not cold anymore.  But just recently I started paying 3-4 times more than other years... 

That sounds like the outside thingy, needs a proper clean and fan speed check...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, transam said:

That sounds like the outside thingy, needs a proper clean and fan speed check...

1-st grease bearings )

yes. good point about gas too. Why do they apply it every year?

• Like 1

If your unit needs gas it is leaking, and will keep needing gas. 

I have a 24 and a 20-year-old that have never needed gas, except when I had them moved to new homes. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Terek said:

I have new record.  1900 baht for small one in small bedroom, 500 cleaning + 1400 gas.  RCA aircon express. Seems really excessive,  because other years I never paid more than 500 for unit and they refilled gas also, same in Bangkok. Considering this should be done once a year,  I really would like to hear some more recommendations.. 

what did your bill breakdown say? don't tell me you didn't ask for one or ask up front for costs

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Anyone know real cost of gas? Just thinking if previous service was filling it for free then charging 1400 for it is kinda excessive 

Edited by Terek

45 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

what did your bill breakdown say? don't tell me you didn't ask for one or ask up front for costs

40 units,  price per unit 35

4 minutes ago, Terek said:

Anyone know real cost of gas? Just thinking if previous service was filling it for free then charging 1400 for it is kinda excessive 

No one provides the gas "free" as far as I know. They do generally check it "free" as part of the service. If the unit is gettinf cool and not freezing over it does not need gas. 

First sign of low gas is the evaporator coil in the inside unit freezing over. 

5 minutes ago, Terek said:

They 'check' the gas pressure, with mine never needs any, except one unit that never worked properly from new, after them coming back and fluffing about with it, and still not working right, I found a different bloke and told him to just check the gas pressure. He said needed gas, cost 700bht, works OK ever since...🤗

12 hours ago, Terek said:

40 units,  price per unit 35

They should at least say why they haven't fixed the leak, possibly a biggish job checking cooper pipe may need fixing or replacing, 500 baht a metre.

i communicated with them on Line, English was good, maybe native English speaker not sure

Edited by scubascuba3

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

They should at least say why they haven't fixed the leak, possibly a biggish job checking cooper pipe may need fixing or replacing, 500 baht a metre.

i communicated with them on Line, English was good, maybe native English speaker not sure

Leaks at the connections are generally pretty easy to fix. Leaks on a copper coil are more difficult, but fixable. Leaks on an aluminum coil are fixable, but so problematic that with a home unit, you are better off replacing it. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Leaks at the connections are generally pretty easy to fix. Leaks on a copper coil are more difficult, but fixable. Leaks on an aluminum coil are fixable, but so problematic that with a home unit, you are better off replacing it. 

and what would be approximate costs of those fixes?

I wonder why AC companies don't try and fix the issue, it never gets mentioned

Edited by scubascuba3

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Too many variables, from "free" when all they have to do is tighten a connection, to a several hundred to re-sweat a connection to a thousand or more to remove and repair a copper coil.

Not including the initial service charge, and topping/refilling the gas. 

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I wonder why people don't ask them to. A lot of people think the gas is some kind of consumable and just ask them to top it off.

A lot of service guys do not actually do repairs, they do flat-rate services in a competitive market with no customer loyalty and most everyone wanting the cheapest possible service. What do you think the margin is for a guy with a truck, tools, a pressure washer and a second-man cleaning air conditioners for 500 a pop? If your car is not running, do you take it to the carwash to have them fix it?

For repairs, the customer also almost always wants a price before the tech knows where the leak is, which the tech cannot provide, or if they do provide a quote, they have to quote it high.  And then the customer thinks they're getting robbed when all the guy does is get his sniffer out of the truck, find the leak and tighten up a fitting or two. 

Buy your air conditioners from an authorized supplier that is close to your home and that also does service. Quit worrying about a few hundred baht here and there and give them your business.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

More profitable to fill the golden gas every year 😅 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

wonder why AC companies don't try and fix the issue, it never gets mentioned

I suspect more money to be made selling you a new one and taking the old one off your hands.

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I suspect more money to be made selling you a new one and taking the old one off your hands.

Maybe but may not work, i had my AC cleaned, day later AC stops responding to remote...slightly suspicious AC guys caused it, i decide to buy a new AC on Lazada and another company installs it

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Maybe but may not work, i had my AC cleaned, day later AC stops responding to remote...slightly suspicious AC guys caused it, i decide to buy a new AC on Lazada and another company installs it

I hope you bought a new remote first? They're about 200-300 baht in Tukcom basement electronics store. 

I've replaced 3 of my LG remotes with these after they stopped connecting and they're all still working fine years later

Edited by Pattaya57

1 hour ago, Pattaya57 said:

I hope you bought a new remote first? They're about 200-300 baht in Tukcom basement electronics store. 

I've replaced 3 of my LG remotes with these after they stopped connecting and they're all still working fine years later

i wanted to buy an inverter AC anyway so didn't bother with a new remote or get it fixed

18 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I had a similar event and too was quick to blame the AC guy as having caused it. He came back and said it needed parts he could not get his hands on. Daikin came and replaced a circuit board but shortly after it failed again..... a wire between indoor and outdoor units was repulled and that seemed to sort it out. After 9 or so years of service it seemed easy to blame the guy who turned up with his wife to do the job. I was also looking at a new unit and another Daikin was quite a price!

13 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I had a similar event and too was quick to blame the AC guy as having caused it. He came back and said it needed parts he could not get his hands on. Daikin came and replaced a circuit board but shortly after it failed again..... a wire between indoor and outdoor units was repulled and that seemed to sort it out. After 9 or so years of service it seemed easy to blame the guy who turned up with his wife to do the job. I was also looking at a new unit and another Daikin was quite a price!

Yep, i was suspicious only, AC worked well for 12 years, then next day after a visit, problem. I have read other people had the same issue but maybe just a coincidence after a visit

19 years ago I called P.K.Air to check my air con as I had just moved into my house. .He came with another guy ,Said there is nothing wrong .

.I asked 'How Much' he said 'No charge'..

I gave him 200 baht for his time and journey [ 6-7 kilos.]

I have used him ever since...He and his wife speak excellent English.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, p414 said:

19 years ago I called P.K.Air to check my air con as I had just moved into my house. .He came with another guy ,Said there is nothing wrong .

.I asked 'How Much' he said 'No charge'..

I gave him 200 baht for his time and journey [ 6-7 kilos.]

I have used him ever since...He and his wife speak excellent English.

I've tried him a couple times, first time busy and just put phone down, so comm skills not great, 2nd time quoted installation 4500, others 3500, i doubt I'll bother again

9 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I've tried him a couple times, first time busy and just put phone down, so comm skills not great, 2nd time quoted installation 4500, others 3500, i doubt I'll bother again

Yes, better to find the cheapest guy in town and go with that.