Changing from Marriage extension to Retirement

Hi,

I live in Hua Hin and have previously had 2 retirement extensions and my last 2 extensions have been marriage ones. The marriage extensions require a lot of paperwork so i thought i might go back to a retirement extension if so do i need the 800,000 to be in my for account 2 or 3 months before applying?

And before anyone says anything i am presently in the uk so cannot go and ask them myself!

Some make the mistake that 800,000 baht in you bank for a period of 2-3 months prior to application is the only requirement for a retirement VISA. As I have read the immigration law it states 800,000 baht or a monthly income of at least 65,000 baht which equals to 800,000 baht annually.

46 minutes ago, Kenneth White said:

Some make the mistake that 800,000 baht in you bank for a period of 2-3 months prior to application is the only requirement for a retirement VISA. As I have read the immigration law it states 800,000 baht or a monthly income of at least 65,000 baht which equals to 800,000 baht annually.

Or a combination of both.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Kenneth White said:

For an application for a Non O visa at Immigration, you cannot take advantage of the monthly income option unless you can get a letter confirming your income from your embassy. That is not possible for US, UK and Australian citizens whose embassies no longer issue such letters.

There is an alternative way of proving monthly income for annual retirement extensions, but no way around the 800k in a Thai bank account for the initial visa application at Immigration (unless engaging an agent to engineer a workaround).

• Thumbs Up 1

True these embassies no longer issue income verification letters that's old news whoever, like in my case and for others I got verification for my social security income from the social security office in my country, which worked.

Edited by Kenneth White

To go from a yearly extension based on marriage to a thai to a yearly extension based on being over 50 (retirement) requires you to have the 800K baht in a thai bank account in your name only for 2 months before you apply for the extension.

People switch the reasons for their extensions (from marriage to retirement and retirement to marriage all the time)

Once you did get the year extension based on retirement issued you'd have to follow the seasoning requirements of the banked money method which means you would need to leave the 800K baht in the account for 3 months after you get the year extension granted, then the balance couldn't go below 400K baht the rest of the year..

Once you get back into thailand GO to your immigration office and get the hand out listing the requirements for the year extension based on being over 50 (retirement) so that when your current extension comes due you know what documents you'll need. (you've done it before so shouldn't be tough to meet the documentation requirements)

• Like 1

One thing which those planning to switch from marriage to retirement (or vice versa) as the reason for their annual extensions of stay need to bear in mind, though, is that the 365 days extension at the time the switch is made will be determined by Immigration from the date when you submit your application rather than when your existing permission to stay expires. The difference could, in theory, amount to up to 30 days - or even 45 days in some instances, depending on what leeway your office allows in submitting extension of stay applications ahead of the expiry date of your current permission to stay.

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1