How often aircon filter need changing?

I've had my Mitsu Triton 8 years and never had the aircon filter changed. Is that something that would be done on a regular service or would you need to ask? Can't say I've ever seen a bill for it.

11 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Seems every poster in this thread has read comprehension issues.

I doubt the OP has a Mitsubishi Triton hanging on the wall of his bedroom

Funny, yeh, I missed that...........:clap2:

OP, I could be wrong here, but does your Triton actually have an A/C filter...?  :whistling:

As far as I'm aware, every car that has aircon has a filter, and should be changed regularly. Usually 20 to 40.000 km.

It not only filters the air, it also protects the evaporator from damage.

Most cars it can be done easily. For my truck it cost 120 baht for OEM filter on Lazada

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q=mitsubishi triton cabin filter

Edited by BenStark

Mine is changed at every service, ( Ford Ranger). so that is 50,000km on average. I also remove it and blow it out every three months, maybe not needed but is a habit I picked up in Saudi Arabia. I believe nearly all filters are situated behind the glove compartment nowadays.

32 minutes ago, BenStark said:

As far as I'm aware, every car that has aircon has a filter, and should be changed regularly. Usually 20 to 40.000 km.

It not only filters the air, it also protects the evaporator from damage.

Most cars it can be done easily. For my truck it cost 120 baht for OEM filter on Lazada

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q=mitsubishi triton cabin filter

And what about the removal and reinstallation costs?

Mostly they can be changed by the customer themselves - usually under the passenger side of the glovebox. On one or two cars it may be more involved - e.g. Ford Focus are a pig - have to loosen fusebox assembly..

If you drive with A/C on Recirc they don't get too dirty - change every couple of years. If you are switched to outside air intake then change every year/10k km.  Put the new filter in the correct way around (air flow direction will be marked on the side of the filter).

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Never. Most have a fine filter that is easy to access, and only needs to be rinsed with a shower head, or toilet spray gun. It should be done every 2 weeks, or else you are subjecting yourself to a higher level of particulate matter than you need to. 

Also, have an AC guy take the whole thing apart every 6 months for a deep cleaning, and have him check the freon. Basic maintenance. Your AC will thank you for it. 

You know I'm talking about the car aircon?

• Haha 1

For car aircon filters in Thailand, I would change every 10-15,000 KMs depending on environment. Blocked filters will reduce airflow and cooling and put extra stress on items such as the fan. 

2 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

For car aircon filters in Thailand, I would change every 10-15,000 KMs depending on environment. Blocked filters will reduce airflow and cooling and put extra stress on items such as the fan. 

Some of the responders are going to be utterly confused how you can get 10-15,000 km from the AC in your house !!!!  ????

Changing the car AC filter is not something I’ve ever considered...  definitely worth considering IMO.

Slightly off topic - but we also have a Xiaomi Air-purifier in the Car...  pretty moot if we don't change the Air-filter I guess.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Changing the car AC filter is not something I’ve ever considered...  definitely worth considering IMO.

Slightly off topic - but we also have a Xiaomi Air-purifier in the Car...  pretty moot if we don't change the Air-filter I guess.

Pretty much all vehicles in Thailand use the A/C in recirculation mode all the time (rather than drawing in hot air from outside). As such, the A/C filters do a good job "purifying" the air in the car - certainly removing particles and dust. Having a clean A/C filter AND your Air-Purifier will give you the best possible quality of air. 

1 hour ago, AhFarangJa said:

Mine is changed at every service, ( Ford Ranger). so that is 50,000km on average. I also remove it and blow it out every three months, maybe not needed but is a habit I picked up in Saudi Arabia. I believe nearly all filters are situated behind the glove compartment nowadays.

You mean to tell me you get the oil changed every 50k km?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

Pretty much all vehicles in Thailand use the A/C in recirculation mode all the time (rather than drawing in hot air from outside). As such, the A/C filters do a good job "purifying" the air in the car - certainly removing particles and dust. Having a clean A/C filter AND your Air-Purifier will give you the best possible quality of air. 

In outside air mode, air still goes through the filter, it is not good practice to use recirculating air all the time....

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/14/2023 at 1:49 PM, BenStark said:

Clarity in the headline would help! And not everyone uses 'textspeak'. What's a Mitsu?

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, giddyup said:

It has been posted in the Motoring Forum and I'd assume that most would know Mitsu is an abbreviation for Mitsubishi, and at least know what a Triton is. If not, move on.

The headline said, 'How often aircon filter need changing?' Who would bother to have a look at the fiddly little forum title when the subject is so obviously aircon?

Not many as the responses clearly demonstrated. Like I said: clarity would have helped.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, Moonlover said:

The headline said, 'How often aircon filter need changing?' Who would bother to have a look at the fiddly little forum title when the subject is so obviously aircon?

Not many as the responses clearly demonstrated. Like I said: clarity would have helped.

Au contraire. Most knew exactly what I meant.

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

Au contraire. Most knew exactly what I meant.

On the contrary, 4 posters made the assumption that you were referring to household A/C. It wasn't until this post showed up that the error was realized. Do not overlook the fact that Mitsu (as you call them) also make A/C units.

On 5/14/2023 at 1:49 PM, BenStark said:

Have a nice (cool) day. ????

Edited by Moonlover
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

On the contrary, 4 posters made the assumption that you were referring to household A/C. It wasn't until this post showed up that the error was realized. Do not overlook the fact that Mitsu (as you call them) also make A/C units.

Have a nice (cool) day. ????

AFAIK Mitsu don't make aircons called Triton.

• Thanks 1