What Size Tumbler (Your-Favorite-Size) Helps Keep You HYDRATED During the HOT Season in Thailand?

Dear Friends,

Here is a topic dear to my heart; I mean the tumbler. I love glassware, first of all. And I love crystal, too. I even used to love glassware fit for the Chemistry Lab when I was in school.

For me, the more lead in the glass the better I like it.  But I am not here talking soda-lead glass.

No. I am talking SODA-LIME GLASS.

For our purposes today, just  think about any old drinking glass, one which can be classified as a tumbler, that has no lead. Don’t try to stretch your imaginations overly much.

If you want a crash course in glass blowing, this is also not the place for that.

You know, my friends, when I was younger I used to work with glass factories and ceramics factories, and I loved the sound of crackled celadon crackling.  But you can get the same sound even without celadon crackling, sometimes.

Visiting a glass factory in Asia is best done in the winter months due to the terrific heat produced by the furnaces and also the kilns in the case of ceramics.

But I won't bore you with that.

I just want to know what your favorite tumbler size and shape might be.

I will attach an image of my favorite tumbler, MINUS any BRANDING INFO. This tumbler is just over 600 milliliters in volume and it has a beautiful shape that fits my hand perfectly.

This is the ideal size for drinking beer, iced tea, iced water, and a veritable plethora of other liquids.  But, if you tried to drink a glass of Remy Martin Cognac, filled to the brim, you might not be able to walk out your living room and up to bed. Make that TWO glasses of Remy, which would then be over 1200 milliliters of Cognac. That could be expensive in Thailand, too, a place where good Cognac is not so plentiful at a reasonable price.

Personally, I prefer to fill my tumbler with Iced Green Chinese Tea from places like Sichuan or the mountain plantations in Taiwan.

This tumbler is truly beautiful when seen full of light green tea and floating ice cubes which I make myself using silicone molds.

The only problem with this tumbler is that, when empty, it is a bit top heavy, and the sides of the glass are quite thin.  Over the years, maybe during the past five years, I have, so sadly, knocked over about SIX tumblers on the ceramic-tile countertop, and they shatter like crazy every time you do this.

So, here is what this thing looks like:

image.png.75158c1761f4bd6dac9d25944246615e.png

I know.  It’s a beauty, right?

I really do not know who designed this magnificent thing, but I worry that, one day, they might stop producing them…and then…where would I be?

So what I have done is to order 18 more of these tumblers.  I had 12 tumblers five years ago. I then shattered six during the past five years. And, now, I just ordered an additional 18 tumblers.

This means that I should still have tumblers left to drink from over a decade in the future if I do not exceed my historical-rate of breakage.  Do you agree?  (Six were shattered during a five-year period. I will now have 18 tumblers in 2023.  You just multiply SIX by 18, and then divide by FIVE.  It’s all done with ratios, you see.)  I mean that my annual rate of breakage is 1.2 tumblers. I have 18 tumblers now. So then, I should have around ZERO tumblers left, if I do not re-order more tumblers, by about the year 2038…!

And, when I even think about the year 2038, I often think that I will not be drinking out of tumblers, but, instead, being fed with a spoon by some Thai nurse not yet graduated from nursery school, today.

This whole idea of Tumblers and Aging seems to be intertwined, in fact, when one begins buying Tumblers in Bulk.

Best regards,

Gamma

• Confused 4
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

This tumbler is just over 600 milliliters in volume and it has a beautiful shape that fits my hand perfectly.

600mm is the volume of a large bottle of beer, which, in my opinion, is much too big to comfortably drink out of.

This is much more manageable.

IMG_20230514_163524.jpg

8 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

Hoegaarden glass. 880ml. Perfect size and weight. Only costs a few hundred baht on Lazada,

They also have a 4100ml version

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/bigsize-4l-hoegaarden-4100ml3-i4095136200-s15995422741.html?

For the Asean Now drinkers. 

Over Bht 600 for a beer glass, and 800 for the bigger one. My Singha ones are Bht 50 at my local shop, and perform exactly the same action ie get the beer from the bottle into your gob.

I do like it in Belgium where the bars have many different beers, they always serve in the correct glass.

Why not answer to this one; it is one of his more sensible posts ????

Not a beer drinker, so no glassware tumblers for me; but I am similarly particular with my morning coffee drinking pot when in Isaan. It has 800 ml, for my load of iced coffee in the morning instead of breakfast.

It has just the right size to start my day very slowly right after giving food to the monks on their alms round and I dislike nothing more than being disturbed by needing to refill while I contemplate the bustling village life from the quiet vantage of my veranda sofa. After this first slow hour, my engine has usually fired up and I am ready for the day.

• Love It 1

Depends what & where I'm eating and or sipping.  In house, washing down a couple Chile Dog, just standard beer glass:

image.png.5028632d01ae60e1e0f831e847abbdc3.png

Hot or Cold Coffee @ house:

image.png.3c3e276ec3f0dfb87660faac91440b10.png

In house Mojito or milk glass, is homemade/cut from wine bottle.

Away from house, non restaurant, then it's the Yeti:

image.png.24eb4765f26c6d0abe954cc6135376a0.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Love It 1

5 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Is that 400ml of coffee and 400 of ice?

I prefer 70-30. In the beginning you have pretty much pure coffee to wake up, at the end it becomes not too diluted to start tasting like weirdly aromated water while having a cooling effect to combat the rising morning temperatures.

45 minutes ago, freedomnow said:

I only say the OP is chatGPT as you never get a pointed emotional response to barbed posts at 'him' like real beer swiggers give back to you on this forum....just more convoluted FACTS and DATA....

You’re giving Chat GPT way too much credit in its ability to come up with the utterly inane... ????

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, freedomnow said:

I only say the OP is chatGPT as you never get a pointed emotional response to barbed posts at 'him' like real beer swiggers give back to you on this forum....just more convoluted FACTS and DATA....

I concur, to a point. I blocked the OP long ago because of all the useless threads where the OP contributed more than half of the posts. I can't agree, though, that it is chatgpt generated. I blocked the OP long before chatgpt was a thing, and the posts were just as bad then. 

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Personally, I prefer borosilicate glass, more chemically resistant and durable.

I have never bought glasses for any household of mine, as I seem to accumulate them by way of gifts and prizes.

28 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Personally, I prefer borosilicate glass, more chemically resistant and durable.

I have never bought glasses for any household of mine, as I seem to accumulate them by way of gifts and prizes.

image.png.5fecc55c9a8cae81cef12c88210dcb68.png

When choosing glass, why not choose the best?

• Confused 2

First of all, the glass from the OP (whoever that is) is not a Tumbler but an oversized Long-Drink Glass.

I have attached how a tumbler looks like. The picture is from the Bamboo Bar of the Mandarin Oriental and shows my own favourite drink, an (original) Mai Tai which I ordered there. I took a picture of it because of the glass actually. Because the glass matters. It is an original Mai-Tai, not the terrible sweet creation with a lot of grenadine which they serve all around Thailand. And by the way I find this Tumbler is perfect in size and design.

.Tumbler.jpg.ba457018ac8067b8da53c53ebaeae62e.jpg

• Love It 1

27 minutes ago, moogradod said:

First of all, the glass from the OP (whoever that is) is not a Tumbler but an oversized Long-Drink Glass.

I have attached how a tumbler looks like. The picture is from the Bamboo Bar of the Mandarin Oriental and shows my own favourite drink, an (original) Mai Tai which I ordered there. I took a picture of it because of the glass actually. Because the glass matters. It is an original Mai-Tai, not the terrible sweet creation with a lot of grenadine which they serve all around Thailand. And by the way I find this Tumbler is perfect in size and design.

Lovely drink. The Writer's Bar in Old City, CM does a proper one. If the bar doesn't make their own orgeat...?

I dispute the premise of this thread.

-Is Gamma but a mere puppet, buffeted by fate with absolutely no agency over his glass-breaking? How many of those 5 broken glasses were in recent years? This problem may have solved itself.

-If a similar-style glass was freely available 100 years ago, won't that trend likely continue to track?

3 hours ago, freedomnow said:

I'm calling this OP ChatGPT for sure now....join the dots...chatGPT integrated into the site. The style is so bizarre.....

If this is a human, I'd have him/her sectioned into a padded room for greater populace safety...

Personally, I am more afraid of people who are "too normal" and don't have an eccentric bone in their body.

• Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

Lovely drink. The Writer's Bar in Old City, CM does a proper one. If the bar doesn't make their own orgeat...?

No need to make the almond syrup by yourself. It is readily available. I have always used the "Monin" Brand, which features as well very many other syrups.

I was not aware that CM had a "Writers "Bar". The only Writers Bar I know is in the Raffles Singapore where I had the pleasure to stay two times and of course taste the Singapore Sling in said bar (which was invented there). However to my taste, the Singapore Sling of Peter Roth from the Kronenhalle Zurich (ex World Champion in Cocktail Mixing) was superior compared to what they serve you as original in Singapore.

Edited by moogradod
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, moogradod said:

Nice looking tumbler especially with the rough outer design to help prevent it from slipping out of your hand.

Looks as though they did serve you a little bit of Mai Tai with that ice. At the Oriental I am guessing that set you back at least 700 THB.