Legal obstacles await leader of victorious Move Forward party

webfact

11 minutes ago, rwill said:

Except they don't have enough votes in the house to overcome the 250 in the senate.  Lots of people seem to be missing that point.

Anutin, Prawit, and Prayut have 147 votes plus the 250 senate votes.  So 397 total.

If all the other parties agree to vote together that would give them 353 votes total.

And if the democrat party goes with the current leaders that will move it another 25 votes in the wrong direction.

So the oppostion may control the house but they don't control the PM.

Technically you not wrong that the 6 parties coalition of 309 MPs will not be enough IF the senators pledged their loyalty to the Generals IF they run. Prayut has been quite cryptic in his post election statement to respect democracy. Prawit is more moderate and has been countering doubts of his political ambition. If both don't particpate, there is a good chance that the senate obstacle will be overcome. Both Ps know that without a House majority, the government can't survive. I think better heads prevail with some prodding from the new boss. 

2 hours ago, ukrules said:

Well they're not voting for a president here, it's a parliamentary system.

Wouldn't the worst case scenario be that they are one MP down and they can choose another leader and there you have it - your new Prime Minister.

Cannot just nominate a new MP for PM after the election . The nominees had to be provided by the Party prior to the Election. IF the MF leader is found to have broken the Constitution he will be disqualified and the party dissolved.  What happens to the MPs I do not know.

What appears to be known is that the MF leader even if as executor does own the shares  and is listed as the owner.  The benchmark was set during the last election and should disqualify the MF party. 

I suspect failure to disqualify will lead to further complaints from the present ruling class , and disqualification will lead to protests from the voters. A lose lose situation.

Edited by cleopatra2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rwill said:

So the oppostion may control the house but they don't control the PM.

If those senators are used to install a PM I think perhaps some millions of people would take issue with that.

• Thumbs Up 2

If Pita commits to:

Zero reforms of the Institution

Not letting Thaksin back

He will garner enough Senate support to become PM. If not, can't see that happening. Obviously BJTs seats could put him over the top, so he'd be wise to keep Chidchob on speed-dial. This (BJT joining the coalition) may also be why Chuwit lost his grip at MoveForward HQ?

It is said that some Senators are willing to support Pita without these pre-conditions, but maybe not enough and those that are willing are being very "demanding".

Edited by bamnutsak

17 hours ago, dinsdale said:

From what I've read they were held in estate. I'm no lawyer but I think until the estate is settled the money/shares/stock etc are not yours. Just a thought.

I think you are right, but knowing the junta, it would not have done any harm to pass them to someone else as their inheritance before the election.