Music streaming ....echo dot or other

Grecian

In UK have Amazon unlimited for music. Great and only equivalent of about 200bht.

can I bring the echo dot to Thailand and keep my subscription or even get new one?

if not what equivalent speaker and service should I buy?

Edited by Grecian

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Music#:~:text=Amazon limits international access by,versions of the store followed.

Amazon limits international access by checking users' credit card issued country. The first international version was launched December 3, 2008 in the United Kingdom. German, Austrian,[17] French, Japanese, Italian, Spanish,[18] Canadian,[19] and Indian[20] versions of the store followed.

So no Thai. 

No idea what to buy as I don’t use streaming for my music

• Thanks 1

Yes to most of the OPs questions above, speaking from personal experience.

Yes, you can buy Echo Dots or Shows abroad in yr home country (if sold there) and bring them here and use them here for streaming.

I've also bought several (updated models) while living here via Amazon U.S and had them reshipped to me here via a private reshipping service. (Dont know if Amazon would ship them directly here, as I never use Amazon to ship anything here directly).

Here, I have both  a Thai Spotify account, which is lower priced than in the U.S. by a wide margin, and my free Amazon Prime member Amazon Music account linked to my Amazon Echo devices.

One issue I cant advise on is the local internet connection (using a Thai IP vs a foreign IP via VPN, because all my home internet is US VPN derived. And everything from setup to use works great.

Ive never tried to do the same with a Thai IP address. Though once my Dots and Shows were set up, they have streamed via my Thai Spotify account just fine when connected at misc times via a Thai IP address.

I rarely use Amazon Music's strseaming over Spotify, so I cant speak for whether it functions here with a Thai Ip address/connection.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Why not install a Radio Station app on whatever device you are using, and select a station playing the type of music you like non-stop. There are so many around the World.

I personally like to be 'surprised' by what the next song is, and test myslf t guess what it is within a few seconds.

For serious listening, I have all my favourite stuff in flac files from torrents on my hard drive, also on One Drive,so accessible anywhere. 

A serious listen to PET SOUNDS tonight on it's 57th birthday!

Edited by KannikaP
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Why not install a Radio Station app on whatever device you are using, and select a station playing the type of music you like non-stop.

With Amazon's Echo devices, you can do BOTH! Amazon has a long list of various streaming radio stations and services that can be played back via verbal request using Echo devices.

But the advantage of pairing an Echo device with the services like Spotify or Amazon Music is that YOU can pick exactly what songs, albums, artists you want to listen to, via verbal demand.... as opposed to just picking a streaming radio station of a particular genre...

So if I want to listen to music by Eric Clapton today, I just say, "Alexa,  play music by Eric Clapton" and that's what results. Or requesting a specific song or album or genre, etc.

Spotify also has a nice feature allowing the user via Alexa to play basically the greatest hits of any band or artist on demand by saying, "Alexa, play "This Is Eric Clapton" or "This is [Whomever]."

Also, the Echo devices are good at relaying streaming music to your home stereo system's speakers.

The Echo devices I use at home, various Echo Dots and a couple of first gen Echo Show 5 in. displays, all have audio out jacks, which allow me to connect them via audio cable to my home stereo systems and their speakers. They also can be connected via Bluetooth and played via things like soundbars, greatly improving the resulting sound quality.

There's also the "My Media for Alexa" service, which for a small annual fee, gives you access to an app you can install on your home computer where you may keep your library of stored music files, and then the My Media for Alexa service allows you to verbally request playback of them from and via Alexa devices, just like if the music actually was coming from Amazon or Spotify.

https://www.mymediaalexa.com/

A great tool for unlocking music access for people like myself who also keep large collections of their own music stored in MP3 and other similar file formats on their home PCs or other similar storage devices.

20 hours ago, Grecian said:

Amazon unlimited

Spotify unlimited is only 139 baht a month.

I've got both.  

Amazon and Google speakers give you the option of what streaming service you want to use.  Amazon, YouTube music, Spotify, etc.

Excellent working in the yard with choices of music, news, podcasts. 

Brilliant! 

Even Spotify free version is very good if you don't mind a few commercials here and there.   (There's a patch out there to get rid of commercials on the Spotify free version.  It's called X manager, look it up on Google).

USA Amazon account works here in Thailand along with all my different Amazon and Google Smart speaker's. 

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Why not install a Radio Station app on whatever device you are using, and select a station playing the type of music you like non-stop. There are so many around the World.

I personally like to be 'surprised' by what the next song is, and test myslf t guess what it is within a few seconds.

For serious listening, I have all my favourite stuff in flac files from torrents on my hard drive, also on One Drive,so accessible anywhere. 

A serious listen to PET SOUNDS tonight on it's 57th birthday!

What can be confusing about this post, please?

9 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

But the advantage of pairing an Echo device with the services like Spotify or Amazon Music is that YOU can pick exactly what songs, albums, artists you want to listen to, via verbal demand.... as opposed to just picking a streaming radio station of a particular genre...

The fact that I can get 'random' music of the genre I like is why I prefer a non-stop radio station eg Caroline Flashback has over 12 hours a day continuous 60/70s music with no interruptions.

When I want to hear a specific artist, that's when I go to my saved music on my PC or talk to You Tube.