Florida teacher under investigation for showing a Disney film with a gay character

onthedarkside

image.png.c9a7261700f68dda1001fd1265524eb3.png

A Florida teacher says she is being investigated by her school and the state’s Education Department after showing her fifth grade students a Disney animated movie featuring an openly gay character. 

In a viral TikTok video posted Saturday, Jenna Barbee, a teacher at Winding Waters K-8 in Brooksville, about an hour north of Tampa, alleged that a parent, who also serves on the local school board, reported her for screening the 2022 title “Strange World” on May 3. Barbee made a similar allegation at a school board meeting last week. 

READ MORE

https://www.nbcnews.com/nbc-out/out-politics-and-policy/florida-teacher-investigation-showing-disney-film-gay-character-rcna84446

image.png.a63c2c30ce2dd7aeb9f7c711a789f9bc.png

• Sad 3

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

You can never please all the parents, so best to avoid anything even slightly controversial.

Florida lady forgot this golden rule for teaching.

So... Lowest common denominator type of thing? Isn't that kinda why U. S. education ranks so poorly to begin with? Well, and the funding thing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When my Kids were in school, any teacher teaching a controversial subject, like sex education, where a video would be shown, had to send a permission slip home to the parents of the children. 

That permission slip would explain in detail what the course the children were taking was about, and what if any videos would be shown during the course of the class.

The parents were also given an opportunity to view the course syllabus as well as the videos if they had any worries and, or concerns.  Only after the permission slip was signed could the student be enrolled in the course or enter the classroom on the day the video's were to be viewed.  If the student was not allowed to view the videos per the permission slip they had to leave the room until after it was shown.  I guess things are not like that anymore if this teacher showed the video and the parent complained.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, candide said:

The movie is not about sexual education and the gay romance is only a very minor aspect.

Considering the main topic of the movie, it would fall under the 'natural ecosystems' category in a school program.

It's been widely on Dysney channel

Seems you missed the main point, and I apologize if I did not make it clearer, but any video shown when my kids were in school needed a parents permission slip to be viewed. Thanks to things like what happened in this OP also happened 20 years ago as well.

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Seems you missed the main point, and I apologize if I did not make it clearer, but any video shown when my kids were in school needed a parents permission slip to be viewed. Thanks to things like what happened in this OP also happened 20 years ago as well.

It's surely a way to avoid trouble. 

From the OP, she adopted a more simple way:

"She added that she received signed permission slips from parents to show her students PG-rated films at the beginning of the school year."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

Again, only in a DeSantis Florida.

There's at least 20 Disney movies that have gay characters, I guess the list will only grow. Perhaps they need to be clearer in their laws and have a list of banned movies as well as books.

Sadly it's not only Florida. It's a national movement to try to erase LGBT people, drag queens, etc. But yes DeSantis is highly visible as a leader as he's running for president based on such culture wars issues.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

but any video shown when my kids were in school needed a parents permission slip to be viewed

I read in an article somewhere that the teacher asked at some time for the permission to play any Disney movie and the parents agreed to that. 

I think it would be nice if parents and teachers and people in general would focus on important things in life. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Parents who insist on dictating every small detail of what happens in classrooms either should have never been parents or should do home schooling.

I am not sure that such parents are suitable for home schooling their children either!

Edited by scottiejohn
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

I am not sure that such parents are suitable for home schooling their children either!

Of course they aren't but better that than a full fascist takeover of America's public schools.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Of course they aren't but better that than a full fascist takeover of America's public schools.

I pity such kids, probably better of with the more intelligent half of their grandparents etc.

Edited by scottiejohn
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Disney's Song of the South is probably OK though. :huh:

Zippity Doo Dah...

Who the heck wants to be a teacher? It already sucked, low pay, buy your own classroom supplies, but now, sheesh every teacher will be afraid to say or do anything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Quickest way to get a kid to do something you don’t want them to do is strenuously insist or forbid them to do it!atleast that’s how I was .guess I was a bit of mischievous scallawag anyway deliberately shielding kids from things they will obviously encounter in life is wrong killing a teachers enthusiasm and creativity in class is wrong willfully insisting on ignorance on things kids will encounter in life is doing them a disservice at the very least in my humble opinion.it’s also another reason DeSantis isent presidental material 

How are kids going to study The Bard, with examples of cross-dressing, murder, violence, domestic abuse, madness, racism, drunkenness to name but a few.

I suppose also, that's the video of Chaucer's The Summoners Tale not being shown as well then.

So glad to see the anti "woke" republicans spending time and effort to deal with such hugely important matters like a disney movie....i guess they have solved all the really important stuff like child poverty, hunger, unemployment, income inequality, gerrymandering, corruption, roads, sewers. bridges, domestic abuse, teen pregnancies, judicial misbehavior, gun violence, crime, overcrowded prisons, and the myriad of other problems in florida and other states so now they can spend days watching disney movies and deciding which ones are ok.....

yeah boy that is really what voters want elected officials to spend their time doing....the more stupid and outrageous the "cause" the more TV and social media attention they get....