Hello, I am currently in a country which is not eligible for an E-visa but my home country is eligible. If I can show a ticket from my home country to Thailand, how would they know where I was when I applied?

They could find out by doing a geolocation lookup against your IP address.

There was a story recently from a member on this site who applied and was rejected (apparently erroneously) based on not being in the country of application at the time. So they do have some kind of process in place to check. 

Additionally, part of the application process is uploading travel stamps in your passport from the last 12 months. If you're stamped into a country but not out of it, it could raise red flags.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Tod Daniels said:

Short answer.. .. They wouldn't,
and
once you get the eVisa issued there is no obligation to fly in with the flight you uploaded for the visa application.

I don't agree with that.

You are suggesting that someone can apply for eVisa for example UK pp holder applying for METV while sitting in bar in Saigon and fly into Bangkok with that evisa 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Tod Daniels said:

and
once you get the eVisa issued there is no obligation to fly in with the flight you uploaded for the visa application.

Can you post a report where that has occured. 

1 hour ago, JayClay said:

Additionally, part of the application process is uploading travel stamps in your passport from the last 12 months. If you're stamped into a country but not out of it, it could raise red flags

I think that's the least of your problems, just take the pictures of your passport pages at the right time, after being stamped out of Thailand but before getting stamped in elsewhere.

When I recently flew to a nearby country, I could have easily taken those pictures after passing Thai immigration and before boarding my flight.

I don't recommend filing a misleading visa application at a consulate that doesn't actually have jurisdiction to issue one, just saying. 

On 5/17/2023 at 6:49 AM, Tod Daniels said:

and

Yes, and any immigration officer could easily figure out from the OPs passport that he wasn't  in his home country when the visa was applied for and issued.