Can Pita Limjaroenrat Become Prime Minister? Three possible scenarios

webfact

9 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

As stated in a related post I am glad Pita is calling out these guys. He is absolutely correct. But, the people might need to take charge now. 

These senators need to be declared enemies of the state.

They are essentially committing treason, at this point. A list of their names and photos needs to be circulated. The people need to call them and their children, siblings, and parents out at work, at school, at restaurants, and in public. 

Shame them into submission.

Embarrass them to no end.

Make them conscious of the incredible amount of damage and erosion to democracy they are causing, and let Cha Cha know we are not buying his "I will be cooperative, and honor the results" nonsense.

Make their lives so uncomfortable they quit a year early. It just might work. 

Just don't be surprised with civil and criminal defamation law suits. "Baby Steps" first.

I am happy to see the Prachachat Party being involved in the coalition-making process. It's really the only party for Malay Muslims and the one party that wishes for the Deep South to get full autonomy from the Bangkok-based regime.

I believe MF will work together with Mr. Wan Noor to facilitate a transition to peace and subsequent autonomy. Only PT could be a problem, as I don't think they are democratic enough to accept decentralization and elected governors, for example.

Hopefully, we in the Deep South will at least be able to live in a peaceful environment.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Chicksaw said:

From the Enquirer article the LM law is the sticking point. Pita is standing by his election promise to repeal it (good for him) while the others, who might join him, are terrified.

Interesting times. Time for cojones to be counted.

I hope Pita can do it but his form so far is not so good, he seems to have forgotten that Thais like to compromise and have respect for elders or more experienced. Saying on BBC that if the Senators do not support him they will pay a big price, this is confrontational and disrespectful. 

55 minutes ago, kennw said:

I hope Pita can do it but his form so far is not so good, he seems to have forgotten that Thais like to compromise and have respect for elders or more experienced. Saying on BBC that if the Senators do not support him they will pay a big price, this is confrontational and disrespectful. 

Are you naive or dim? "have respect for elders or more experienced" who don't hesitate to shoot at peaceful marchers or toss children into prison for protesting.

"... this is confrontational and disrespectful. " I am not sure whether to laugh. You do know that Thais spent the last 9 years under their army's boots?

In any case, Pita knows exactly what he's saying and what the effect is. This hardline is exactly what's needed to stand up to the jackbooted thugs and their lackeys. But I am realist enough to know he may not prevail.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, candide said:

You are assuming that the government can appoint Senators. That's not the case. There is a process described in the constitution for appointing the next Senators, and they won't be selected by the government (of course). The selection committees will likely be stacked by the establishment so there's not much hope about it.

As to changing or amending the constitution, it requires a majority vote of the parliament (375). Moreover, that majority must also include one-third of the Senate, and 20 percent of MPs from all political parties which do not hold positions as cabinet members, Speaker of House of Representatives, or Deputy Speaker of House of Representatives.

https://prachataienglish.com/node/9086

In other words, they're screwed.

Not really screwed just mayhave to delay.  I think the term for a lot of the military is coming to an end soon.  As long as the military is not n control of the house they willnot be able to replace them.

As to PT i think Thaksin is in a very precarious place.  He can cry all he wants about not winning.  

BUT

ANY GOVERNMENT THAT IS NOT run by the MFP is doomed to be protested and hated.

The smartest thing that PT can do is turn off the spigot from Thaksin.  Bite the bullet and support the MFP.  Anything less is going to be noted by a lot of people next election.

IN order for PT to form the government they would have to have the BJT UTN and PPRP support them.

The people have stated that they don ot want military rule.

PT would have a very short and rocky government even f they could get a person elected.

5 minutes ago, EdrigoSalvadore said:

I'm confused, isn't the billionaire Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit the leader?

He is not the MFP leader. He was banned from politics.

https://www.nationthailand.com/thailand/politics/40025103

Thanathorn, who is now chairman of the Progressive Movement, said he, Piyabutr and other former FFP members will support Move Forward and its leader’s bid to become PM at the upcoming election. Move Forward is the successor to FFP, which came third in the 2019 election after campaigning on a liberal reformist platform.

As the Prussian statesman and architect of the unification of Germany, Otto von Bismarck once said:

'Politics is the art of the possible, the attainable — the art of the next best'

While I don't like the lèse majesté law, I don't think it's the main problem facing Thailand today. If Pita and the MFP could moderate their stance and just go for limits on how it is used and for which cases it's applicable, that would (IMHO) serve the greater good, if it would allow for the formation of a non military-dominated government that would better reflect the will of the people as expressed through the ballot box.

• Like 1