Get NON-O Visa Inside or Outside Thailand?

I'm planning to do an agent assisted "retirement visa". 

First I need a NON-O visa that I can get from them while staying in Thailand. Later on the 1 year extension of stay will be arranged.

But I wonder, could I also get this NON-O visa in Vientiane or Savannakhet?

Last time I arrived in Thailand with a Tourist Visa I was taken aside by an immigration officer who told me that next time I probably would have problems when arriving with a tourist visa again.

But would arriving with a NON-O Visa be problematic, or not?

23 minutes ago, trax33 said:

But I wonder, could I also get this NON-O visa in Vientiane or Savannakhet?

Last time I arrived in Thailand with a Tourist Visa I was taken aside by an immigration officer who told me that next time I probably would have problems when arriving with a tourist visa again.

You would not have any issue in entering Thailand with a visa.

Be that a non O or tourist visa.

The immigration officer was just doing the usual thing.

That aside why are you thinking about getting half pregnant.

Either use an agent to obtain the non O in Thailand and subsequent extension or do the process yourself using your own funds.

What is current status in Thailand and when does current permission of stay end

I have quite a lengthy tourist visa history plus the officer mentioned that I had done a (1 day) border bounce which actually was the reason for taking me aside. 

And the reason of arranging the NON-O visa myself is that I probably would save money + having a trip outside Thailand would also be nice.

I'm now on a Tourist Visa that will end in a few weeks.

So if I read your reply correctly: it's not possible to arrange the NON-O visa myself and let the agent arrange the 1 year extension of stay?

9 minutes ago, trax33 said:

So if I read your reply correctly: it's not possible to arrange the NON-O visa myself and let the agent arrange the 1 year extension of stay?

Yes you can do that.

With only 2 weeks left on permission of stay that's not enough time (most likely) for agent to obtain the Non O.

Be aware that some of popular places for non O require appointment. eg Vientiane and Saigon.

Dont think you will obtain appointment within 2 weeks. 

Savannakhet does not require appointment. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Savannakhet does not require appointment. 

Much appreciated!

Where can I find the requirements for getting a NON-O visa?

Is Savannakhet an "easy" place to get a NON-O Visa?

I actually would like to be (almost) 100 % sure that a NON-O will be granted, before starting a trip outside of Thailand...

And any suggestions for other "easy" consulates/embassies within reach to get this NON-O visa?

23 minutes ago, trax33 said:

And any suggestions for other "easy" consulates/embassies within reach to get this NON-O visa?

@BritTim recently did a breakdown of options. 

Personally I would check the appointment availability for Vientiane.

Depends where you are located.

Anywhere near Bangkok provides option to fly to Nong Khai for Vientiane consulate

For me Saigon has the addition of a mini holiday option.

Both those I mention require appointment.

This thread has some info and also link posted by @OJASthat lists requirements..

You won't have any issues. 

https://aseannow.com/topic/1260547-non-o-visa-retired-in-savannakhet/

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

Something else: If I'm correct, embassies and consulates nearby require 800.000 Baht on a bank account as requirement for getting a NON-O "retirement visa" valid for 90 days.

But in my home country (which I read on the website of the local Thai embassy) there is only a requirement of €1000 per 30 days of stay in Thailand for getting this NON-O "retirement visa" of 90 days, which is obviously considerably less than the 800.000 Baht or the monthly income of 65.000 Baht.

How come? 

Or do I miss something?

I am assuming you want to get a Non O visa based on being aged over age 50 (intended for retired people). Unlike a Non O visa based on having a Thai spouse, the Non O (retired) has financial requirements at all nearby embassies/consulates. An agent cannot help you avoid those requirements when you apply outside Thailand.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I am assuming you want to get a Non O visa based on being aged over age 50 (intended for retired people). Unlike a Non O visa based on having a Thai spouse, the Non O (retired) has financial requirements at all nearby embassies/consulates. An agent cannot help you avoid those requirements when you apply outside Thailand.

Thanks.

But what's the reason why I only need to show €1000 per 30 days, so €3000 per 90 days on my bank account when applying for a NON-O retirement visa in my home country, while I have to show (like you mentioned)  800.000 Baht on my bank account at nearby embassies/consulates?

Screenshot_2023-05-18-17-25-35-483_com.duckduckgo.mobile.android~2.jpg

Edited by trax33

Walk into several immigration offices and they will do the full job on the spot. 

(Seriously)

Jomtien. 

Buriram. Etc.

My last one took 30 minutes. 

From non o to additional one year extension. 

All funding satisfied. 

Some immigration are removing the agents. 

About 28k if an agent did the lot.

From a 30 day or TR 60.

Regulations also say any bank can be used.

20230509_131258.jpg

Edited by dallen52

4 hours ago, Hakuna Matata said:

Obtaining visa inside Thailand may be illegal!

Nonsense

TM86 and finances in order and you are set.

I killed my Non O-A in July 22 by entering visa exempt.

Then single Non O retirement at KK immigration followed by one year extension later on.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Alex2554 said:

Visa is an endorsement issued by a consulate and marked in a passport, permitting the passport holder to enter a country

Exceptions in Thailand are:

• visas on arrival issued at airports or a few major land crossings as you enter the country.
  • Thailand Elite visas affixed to your passport either at Chaengwatttana immigration office, or at the airport as you enter Thailand.
  • LTR visas often placed in your passport at a BOI office in Bangkok.
  • SMART visas, sometimes affixed to your passport at a consulate abroad, but can also be placed in your passport at relevant offices in Bangkok.
  • Non Immigrant visas applied for at Immigration using forms TM86 or TM87.

None of these are illegal.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, Toby1947 said:

You can only get a None O-A outside Thailand, which requires proof of considerable medical insurance 

Yes but not the topic here.

It's about getting regular Non O status.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2023 at 6:12 PM, KhunBENQ said:

I killed my Non O-A in July 22 by entering visa exempt.

Then single Non O retirement at KK immigration followed by one year extension later on

I plan to let my Non-O retirement extension in my UK passport expire, and then re-enter 30-day visa exempt on my NZ passport, and then convert to Non-O on that passport. I can't recall the deadline - when must you do it within that 30 days ?  And is it a 90-day Non-O that they give you ?

Edited by Tuvoc

11 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

I plan to let my Non-O retirement extension in my UK passport expire, and then re-enter 30-day visa exempt on my NZ passport, and then convert to Non-O on that passport. I can't recall the deadline - when must you do it within that 30 days ?  And is it a 90-day Non-O that they give you ?

To apply for non O retirement you require 15 days + on your permit. (21 days at some offices eg  CM)

In your case that would be 30 day visa exempt stamp.

You would require 800k in Thai bank account in your name only on day of application.

Need to show funds came from abroad unless have been in Thai bank for some time.

The non O retirement stamp provides a 90 day stamp.

In last 30 days of that permit apply for 12 month extension. 

24 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

when must you do it within that 30 days ?

No later than 15 days before current permission to stay ends.

There is no reason to wait after entry if you have the money on the bank.

24 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

And is it a 90-day Non-O that they give you ?

Let me be precise: the same day the Non-O visa is issued it is "used" and you get an admitted to stay stamp for 90 days. So of course you can not use this to enter the country.

Issued by immigration boss on 2nd August, picked it up on 6th August.

Stamp is 90 days from 2nd August.

Now I have a one year extension until 30th Oct 2023.

non_o_visum.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

No later than 15 days before current permission to stay ends.

There is no reason to wait after entry if you have the money on the bank.

Thanks for the two replies.

Yes 800k has been in the bank for a few years, so good to have flexibility to do it straight-away. 

17 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

That will be fine. 

Which immigration office 

Well, Chiang Rai currently which I have found to be really excellent but will be changing to Chiang Saen in the next few months.  

If Chiang Saen is likely to be difficult we will have 2 addresses for a while so I could probably do the changeover at Chiang Rai first. I haven't researched the immigration offices at Chiang Saen yet, I think there is one there.

Edit: Yes, found the Chiang Saen office.

Edited by Tuvoc