Almost £42 for a quiche lorraine!

13 hours ago, MartinL said:

'Egg and bacon pie' is what we often had for school dinners in the 1960s. "Not bacon and egg pie AGAIN!!" ???? Whoever would have thought that humble meal would morph into something so posh! 

We had cow's liver, mashed potatoes and swede or turnip......to my recollection......every single day. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

We had cow's liver, mashed potatoes and swede or turnip......to my recollection......every single day. 

There was not much of any merit to be said about the Private school my Bruv. and myself got sent to.

School dinners , mash with bullet peas and fat with gristle on top . So foul my mother told the head witch I was a vegetarian.  Friday was sausage pie beans and chips.  The head witch removed the pie and left me with beans and chips.

Who said school days were the happiest days of your life never ate at Radnor House Redhill.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Straight8 said:

Since  99% of Thais will not pay that much, they are taking the p!$$ out of the stupid farang who think would pay a ridiculous amount for a slice of egg/beacon/pastry

Bit like the some type of special coffee being sold in Sydney for $1,500 AUD a cup. Reports say 2 cups have so far been sold

Yes, sheer madness.

You would be surprised how many Thai shoppers have far greater fiscal liquidity than the average farang 'just looking, thanks' squatter.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MartinL said:

'Egg and bacon pie' is what we often had for school dinners in the 1960s. "Not bacon and egg pie AGAIN!!" ???? Whoever would have thought that humble meal would morph into something so posh! 

Wi' chips and baked beans (definitely not Heinz).

Prunes with cream crackers and grated cheese for afters (??!!!??).

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

How big were the slices?

Yes seriously that is expensive, did you notice where they were imported from?

I don't think they were imported. Probably cooked in their own kitchens. Below is a pic.

Funny thing is both he quiche lorraine and the salmon and leek were the same price. I would have thought the salmon would be more expensive.

IMG_3193.jpeg

1 hour ago, redwood1 said:

I bet about 80-90% of that Hi-so way over priced special deli food in the supermarkets gets binned.....I NEVER see anyone buying it.....

Yes it must have a fairly short shelf life. It's never reduced in the bargain section. Who pays that?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, JayClay said:

Well if you don't understand that buying anything by the slice is always considerably more expensive than buying a whole product then I guess... yes?

This is Thailand, where when sales drop they increase the price to cover any shortfall. I doubt they would give any discount for buying a whole one.

Edited by phetphet
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, phetphet said:

Am I out of touch to be shocked at such a price?

You should have checked to see whether it was imported before being shocked by £6.76 if you're that concerned about a few baht for a non-Thai food item!   Foie gras is a bit pricey per portion here also.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

5 hours ago, Straight8 said:

Since  99% of Thais will not pay that much, they are taking the p!$$ out of the stupid farang who think would pay a ridiculous amount for a slice of egg/beacon/pastry

As 99% of Tops customers are Thai, that's not exactly logical.  If Thais didn't pay Tops' prices there wouldn't be a Tops...and there is.

1 hour ago, redwood1 said:

I bet about 80-90% of that Hi-so way over priced special deli food in the supermarkets gets binned.....I NEVER see anyone buying it.....

How long do you hang around doing your surveys or do you just walk past the counters and not see anyone there for the five seconds it takes you to pass?  If 90% of it didn't sell, it wouldn't be stocked.

44 minutes ago, phetphet said:

I don't think they were imported. Probably cooked in their own kitchens. Below is a pic.

Funny thing is both he quiche lorraine and the salmon and leek were the same price. I would have thought the salmon would be more expensive.

IMG_3193.jpeg

Wow that's almost 7 pounds/$8.50 a slice, seems like London prices?

1 hour ago, phetphet said:

IMG_3193.jpeg

One slice I would guess is maybe 20% bigger than the Quiche mini pies at Big C Extra for 50-55 baht...

Edited by redwood1

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Lumpy mash, at that!

Yes it was only ever half mashed.....never smooth.

Puddings....strangely.....were always very good .....custard, chocolate custard, chocolate cake, apple pie????

48 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Yes it was only ever half mashed.....never smooth.

Puddings....strangely.....were always very good .....custard, chocolate custard, chocolate cake, apple pie????

Indeed, I got a taste for crumbles with custard there. Rhubarb or apple. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1