Almost £42 for a quiche lorraine!

2 hours ago, NextG said:

Actually I quite liked Quiche Lorraine as a school dinner, but I suspect the quality will be lacking here.

If you take a look at the ingredients you might understand why a good quality version might be expensive: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/ultimate-quiche-lorraine

I wouldn’t hold out much hope for even the £42 version. Most of the delicatessen foodstuffs here are relatively disappointing. Can knock up much better in my own kitchen. 

Adding up the cost of all the ingredients in the link you provided would run about ฿700 (Tops had everything but the lardons on their site so I just ballparked ฿1000/kg for decent ham).  More expensive than I would have thought.  

Still…almost ฿1800 is pretty pricy and I’ll bet that there is nothing imported about it (as many posters seem to believe) because if it was imported, it would have the little flag/country of origin next to it as they do on (probably) every imported product in all the major higher end supermarkets.

On 5/21/2023 at 1:58 PM, billd766 said:

Do you have a recipe for that please?

Can it be made with normal rice from the market?

Ambrosia creamed rice is a tinned product. However, rice pudding is not difficult to make at home. Google will give you plenty of recipes. 

Ambrosia_Creamed_Rice.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, asf6 said:

Ambrosia creamed rice is a tinned product. However, rice pudding is not difficult to make at home. Google will give you plenty of recipes. 

Ambrosia_Creamed_Rice.jpg

To me that is one of the nicest treat that I can give myself, and sooooo tasty straight from the fridge.

10 hours ago, mikeymike100 said:

A coffee shop in a 5 star hotel, maybe?

In Starbucks, which is not cheap, cheesecake 140-160 baht, a cookie 75baht?

"I’d pay that for a real French fresh quiche Lorraine with a side salad , delicious,"

I am sure it is delicious, but is it worth it?

I live in France and the food is good.,You know where to shop in your own country. In a Patisserie or bakershop, a freshly made on the spot Quiche will cost you about under 3€ = 100 Baht. Have it in a nice sit down coffee shop/ lunch , it will be accompanied by a side salad, will be enough for a light lunch and might cost you double or more .All depends on the ingredients, salmon, ham or veggie., how it’s served, decent napkin, cutlery, table service. If I’m abroad like Thailand for a good while, then I do splash out on a good from home speciality , or German meal, or Italian , usually once a week. 
If it’s a frozen / fridge type , then no, rather go without. I do not compare what I spend to a Thai wage , That’s ridiculous IMO. 

17 hours ago, Airalee said:

Adding up the cost of all the ingredients in the link you provided would run about ฿700 (Tops had everything but the lardons on their site so I just ballparked ฿1000/kg for decent ham).  More expensive than I would have thought.  

Still…almost ฿1800 is pretty pricy and I’ll bet that there is nothing imported about it (as many posters seem to believe) because if it was imported, it would have the little flag/country of origin next to it as they do on (probably) every imported product in all the major higher end supermarkets.

17 hours ago, Airalee said:

If the ingredients alone cost 700 baht then at what price should they sell it? 
Let’s just hope their effort is tasty. I would have gone to Big C Extra for something closer to real creme fraiche…

Edited by NextG

On 5/20/2023 at 8:51 AM, redwood1 said:

I bet about 80-90% of that Hi-so way over priced special deli food in the supermarkets gets binned.....I NEVER see anyone buying it.....

Are you constantly patrolling the quiche aisle to make sure?

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, NextG said:

Let’s just hope their effort is tasty. I would have gone to Big C Extra for something closer to real creme fraiche…

What price?  Dunno.  Do you think they are using real crème fraiche, double cream or Gruyère at Tops?  If not….then maybe they are making it for far less than ฿700….not to mention that they are buying the ingredients in bulk and not paying the retail prices that I quoted.

If quiche is your thing and you think ฿1740 is a good value….have at it.

Bon Appetit!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, NextG said:

Much better chance to find it in Top's at a tourist destination like Samui than in our otherwise fine BigC hypermarket, Top's here got most of the real stuff – if not all – that we gourmet-loving foreigners like...????

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, Airalee said:

What price?  Dunno.  Do you think they are using real crème fraiche, double cream or Gruyère at Tops?  If not….then maybe they are making it for far less than ฿700….not to mention that they are buying the ingredients in bulk and not paying the retail prices that I quoted.

If quiche is your thing and you think ฿1740 is a good value….have at it.

Bon Appetit!

If Quiche Lorraine was my thing, then I would buy the ingredients to make it myself, rather than to pay 1800 for an inferior version. Have you been paying attention to anything that has been written here?

Examples: Frozen quiche from Big C purchased at 75% off… still sitting dormant in my freezer. 
Likely lower quality ingredients to which I am used, in the shop sold quiche, on which I commented; which would mean that I would be unlikely to pay 1800 for it and likely not even 700. I would make it for myself, knowing that it included the best possible ingredients. 

57 minutes ago, NextG said:

Have you been paying attention to anything that has been written here?

I have…why so snippy?

someone posted a link to a recipe for high quality quiche with all the fancy ingredients.  So, out of curiosity, I went to tops website and sourced the ingredients including the crème freche, double cream and Gruyère….that’s how I came to ฿700 for the ingredients.  So, in my own personal opinion, here in Bangkok…even if they were using the good ingredients (I don’t know if they are or aren’t)….I think a ฿1000 markup is fairly substantial.

18 minutes ago, Airalee said:

I have…why so snippy?

someone posted a link to a recipe for high quality quiche with all the fancy ingredients.  So, out of curiosity, I went to tops website and sourced the ingredients including the crème freche, double cream and Gruyère….that’s how I came to ฿700 for the ingredients.  So, in my own personal opinion, here in Bangkok…even if they were using the good ingredients (I don’t know if they are or aren’t)….I think a ฿1000 markup is fairly substantial.

Snippy? Perhaps you are sleeping. I posted the link, you priced it up. I asked his much you think they should charge and you got ‘snippy’. It was a genuine question. How much including overhead and wastage etc?

They also have to take into account that they don’t sell it all. 
This is why….again, that I would most certainly make my own, unless it was heavily discounted. Then I might check it for quality. Not necessarily quiche, but most overpriced delicatessen products. Most are far below the standard of whatever I can produce for myself. For the prices charged, I can use premium products in mine. Your were preaching to the choir. Perhaps you thought we were disagreeing on something. 

24 minutes ago, NextG said:

Snippy? Perhaps you are sleeping. I posted the link, you priced it up. I asked his much you think they should charge and you got ‘snippy’. It was a genuine question. How much including overhead and wastage etc?

They also have to take into account that they don’t sell it all. 
This is why….again, that I would most certainly make my own, unless it was heavily discounted. Then I might check it for quality. Not necessarily quiche, but most overpriced delicatessen products. Most are far below the standard of whatever I can produce for myself. For the prices charged, I can use premium products in mine. Your were preaching to the choir. Perhaps you thought we were disagreeing on something. 

Sorry….I’m a little brain dead today.   I agree….I’d make it home too.   And with the price….honestly…I don’t know what should be charged.  To me, something like quiche is a common simple food…something I too would have had at school like the other posters stated.  Shepherd’s pie would be another simple dish.  So….to me, it is an odd thing to sell in a deli case here and if they need to sell it at 290/slice in order to cover their overhead then so be it.  To me, quiche isn’t a premium product.  290 a slice….Thailand….doesn’t compute.  

1 hour ago, Airalee said:

To me, quiche isn’t a premium product.  290 a slice….Thailand….doesn’t compute.  

Me too. I might pay 290 baht for the whole quiche if it was big but certainly not for one slice. 

Edited by asf6
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Airalee said:

Sorry….I’m a little brain dead today.   I agree….I’d make it home too.   And with the price….honestly…I don’t know what should be charged.  To me, something like quiche is a common simple food…something I too would have had at school like the other posters stated.  Shepherd’s pie would be another simple dish.  So….to me, it is an odd thing to sell in a deli case here and if they need to sell it at 290/slice in order to cover their overhead then so be it.  To me, quiche isn’t a premium product.  290 a slice….Thailand….doesn’t compute.  

Even if I didn’t have an oven(I do), I could buy one of those halogen/convection ovens for 800 baht and still come out spending less. 
But for the time poor, who fancy something different, perhaps 290 baht is not too high a price to pay. Still cheaper than the average lunch in London. Maybe attractive to an expat who gets a salary from abroad ????

3 hours ago, asf6 said:

Me too. I might pay 290 baht for the whole quiche if it was big but certainly not for one slice. 

Please tell me where in the world you can get an entire quiche for 290 baht. Even in the UK supermarkets for a bog standard mass produced quiche slice you are looking at 100-150 baht.

Jeez, how some people live...

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/whats-on/shopping/tried-supermarket-quiche-aldi-asda-26819006

Edited by josephbloggs
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Please tell me where in the world you can get an entire quiche for 290 baht. Even in the UK supermarkets for a bog standard mass produced quiche slice you are looking at 100-150 baht.

Jeez, how some people live...

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/whats-on/shopping/tried-supermarket-quiche-aldi-asda-26819006

Maybe you should consider a visit to top charoen, because from your link the most expensive is 3.65 pound, and the cheapest just 2 pound, for a WHOLE Quiché

By the way, at Big C Xtra, 4 quiches, each the size of one slice as shown in your link, cost 220 baht

Total weight of the 4 quiches is about 600 gram

Edited by BenStark

2 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Maybe you should consider a visit to top charoen, because from your link the most expensive is 3.65 pound, and the cheapest just 2 pound, for a WHOLE Quiché

Oh dear. Oh dear oh dear.

The "Entire quiche" in the UK is this big. It is not much bigger than a slice.

Compare to the entire quiche the OP refers to in Tops.  One slice of that is far bigger than the UK supermarket "entire quiches".  See the difference? Let me know how your visit to Top Charoen goes.

Price is not that different.

Screen Shot 2023-05-23 at 23.37.17.png

Screen Shot 2023-05-23 at 23.38.15.png

2 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

What is a big mini quiche? 

Every prepared food item in Big C starts with the name Big, though the only thing big about it is the price for what you get.

Oh yeah, and the package is big for the contents

On 5/20/2023 at 9:59 AM, phetphet said:

I don't think they were imported. Probably cooked in their own kitchens. Below is a pic.

Funny thing is both he quiche lorraine and the salmon and leek were the same price. I would have thought the salmon would be more expensive.

IMG_3193.jpeg

I think that many folk here are missing the point.

Phetpet is correct, cooked in the TOPS kitchens.

Yes, 290 baht per slice is expensive, but this would usually be served, with the salads shown in the photo, in the TOPS restaurant area with a pretty waitress bringing your glass of wine or beer.

It is not an 'off the shelf' product.

• Like 1