Thai Immigration Bureau Intensifies Crackdown on Overstaying Foreigners

webfact

3 hours ago, swm59nj said:

That’s how things go when you are in a county not your own. You are an outsider, a guest. .  The country has no obligation to do anything for you. Whether the country might be corrupt, good, or bad. 

In my "own" country I feel exactly the same, even worse

Is ok, travelling since about 50 Years to Thailand, about 150 times, not only one day overstay. I respect every country's Visa rule. Thai travellers must also respect our EU Schengen rules, I case of overstay only one day, first police check taveller details, after penalty is about € 600.

Hope Thailand Police will be more strictly and successful for check overstay Farang. Everyone Farang respect Thai rules are not stupid or silly because of accept Thai Visa procedure 

Ot 

2 hours ago, JoseThailand said:

It's still pretty easy to do agency-assisted border runs

Sure, I know that but only if you qualify, as far as I know they only allow normal tourism 6 months per year in Thailand. The rest of the time you need to be out. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Shocked farang said:

Sure, I know that but only if you qualify, as far as I know they only allow normal tourism 6 months per year in Thailand. The rest of the time you need to be out. 

There is no official 6 months rule. It's pure speculation.

9 hours ago, swm59nj said:

A large part of the problem is the foreigners themselves.  Many , not all, come to Thailand looking for a free ride. They think they can do whatever they want. Then whine when things go sour. 
That’s how things go when you are in a county not your own. You are an outsider, a guest. .  The country has no obligation to do anything for you. Whether the country might be corrupt, good, or bad. 

True, but with so many other countries with less of the ridiculous yearly extension rules. I have a choice of not participating in their rules.  Life is good.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, riverhigh said:

News I really don't want to hear or read about. Nothing positive, just more negativity regarding foreigners living in Thailand. The usual BS "we must protect the Thai boarders, ensure public safety and maintain national security" which essentially means Thailand is for Thais. The news I want, and never will hear, is permanent residency for retirees. I loathe Thai immigration and time-consuming, anti-foreigner regulations.

Exactly, Thailand is for Thais in those people's minds, then why would you want to remain indefinitely in such a place? We farangs can't hide, no matter what we do we are still farangs, no matter how fluent you become in Thai, you're still farang. For me the only way to enjoy Thailand is on a temporary basis. 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

"a clear message to all foreigners residing in Thailand to respect the country's immigration laws and regulations."

Send the same message to the corrupt Immigration Officers that "sell" visas and you will notice a dramatic lowering of the criminal activity immediately.

teach em how to rope em up.....enough corals to hold em up? I hear you though. could be a lot of Ru boys

I wish they would intensify on the on the Thai people that steal billions of bat from foreigners

I wish the DSi would intensify thieves I wish the police would intensify the real crooks forget about the f****** foreigners

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Send the same message to the corrupt Immigration Officers that "sell" visas and you will notice a dramatic lowering of the criminal activity immediately.

If they sell visa, how can then people are overstaying. They have some kind of visa who they bought. So, they are not overstaying. 

• Confused 3

18 hours ago, Taboo2 said:

This is not complicated.  Why  is this news?

Simple solution.  Come to Thailand, stay for the duration that they give you generously and then leave.  

YOU ARE A GUEST IN THIS COUNTRY!  GET USE TO IT.

YOU WANT TO STAY LONGER, THERE ARE OTHER VISA OPTIONS, WITH THE BEST BEING THAI ELITE IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT.

Keep up the pressure Thai Immigration peeps....show them that you are not as stupid as the Americans, who let anyone in to their country.

A paying  and un invited guest that is

8 hours ago, pomchop said:

A one day visit to Jomtiem immigration by an undercover cop would notice a large number of agents receiving "special" treatment which I highly doubt is provided without brown bags involved.

It is also shared by lots of people. They earn huge in agent fees but shared by lots of people according to their hierarchy in the pecking order. And why not? Those people also have hope, aspirations and desires for a better life. Why it will only be reserved for people with earnings in dollars? It is not their fault that they were born in Thailand without access to dollars. 

Edited by CartagenaWarlock
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

On 5/20/2023 at 7:36 AM, Skipalongcassidy said:

"a clear message to all foreigners residing in Thailand to respect the country's immigration laws and regulations."

Absolutely ridiculous statement. 

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, SuwadeeS said:

Always picking on foreigners.

Why not start an real important crack down on traffic offenders?

Stoneage morality.

Morality is culturally based. I take it you believe that your culture is the only correct one?

On 5/20/2023 at 7:36 AM, Skipalongcassidy said:

Good post.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2023 at 9:47 AM, stoner said:

sweep up the baddies and send them packing. 

as an expat couple, retired here 20+ years, we've always made sure to stay on the right side of the immigration regulations.. 99% of overstayers are losers. but they are small fish. The big fish are the Chinese ''grey business'' operators. Nor does this news release address the racket where student/educational visas get issued, where what I understand to be mostly  Chinese, obtaining such visas illegally.   

52 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Morality is culturally based. I take it you believe that your culture is the only correct one?

he's wrong. and wasting time.  Far better if he had commented on people trafficking. 

4 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

If they sell visa, how can then people are overstaying. They have some kind of visa who they bought. So, they are not overstaying. 

Incorrect. A visa just allows you to enter Thailand for a specific reason.  Upon entering you are stamped in  for a period of time. If you exceed that time, you have overstayed.

On 5/20/2023 at 10:01 AM, bang saen guy said:

Yeah. Don't need tourists anyway

These are not tourists that they are removing.  My question though is how do these people afford to stay here and what are they doing for money.

4 hours ago, actonion said:

A paying  and un invited guest that is

Well, that Thais prefer "guests" that stay for a very short time only (guess why they love the Chinese!), while overpaying for anything and everything is nothing new. If only they could convince prospective foreign tourists to only send the money (they planned to spend while in Thailand), but stay away... Is there even a word in Thai for 'hospitality'?

Fortunately, there are alternatives to Thailand. Sun, beaches, and also nightlife can be had in other places too. One just needs to remind oneself every day: "I am a tourist, permitted to stay here for a limited time. I don't (actually) live here..."

Edited by StayinThailand2much