Retirement visa renewal and passport expiry date

Hi all, I am expected to renew my visa in July, and my passport expires in March 2024.
I had an old note saying that there must be a year on the passport before you can renew your visa.

Does anyone know if this rule still applies?

Much appreciated.

33 minutes ago, Tazmo said:

Thanks to you all. Spot on answers which have been very helpful.

I am in the process of applying for a new passport, so that my new visa can run until July 2024.

Your new Passport might not be returned in time.

I believe you are from UK and applications  are taking  a long time.

Edited by Lite Beer
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for that Lite Beer.

I have an appointment today, yes I am in CM.

I will try to find out the time period and if I suspect it will be longer than the 14 July, I will not submit for renewal today.

I will also enquire about’ emergency passport’ if such a thing exists?? I will show them my Air ticket.

BTW my partner is in a similar position but she has a Thai passport!

1 hour ago, Tazmo said:

Thanks for that Lite Beer.

I have an appointment today, yes I am in CM.

I will try to find out the time period and if I suspect it will be longer than the 14 July, I will not submit for renewal today.

I will also enquire about’ emergency passport’ if such a thing exists?? I will show them my Air ticket.

BTW my partner is in a similar position but she has a Thai passport!

Forget the pp renewal.

Doubt you will have sufficient time.

Skip the "emergency pp" that's not applicable to your situation.

As for Thai pp that is processed in days. No issue.

Your next extension will have expiry date of current pp. 

When you are from UK, there have been reports on the Forum of applicants for a new Passport that took very long before they got hold of it.

As you still have 2 months before you have to apply for the 1-year extension of your current Permit to stay, it is recommended to contact the UK Embassy in Bangkok and enquire about the processing time.  It's well possible that the previous long waits were due to the pandemic situation, and that the process is now back to 'normal'.

1 hour ago, Red Phoenix said:

When you are from UK, there have been reports on the Forum of applicants for a new Passport that took very long before they got hold of it.

As you still have 2 months before you have to apply for the 1-year extension of your current Permit to stay, it is recommended to contact the UK Embassy in Bangkok and enquire about the processing time.  It's well possible that the previous long waits were due to the pandemic situation, and that the process is now back to 'normal'.

Unfortunately, the British embassy in Bangkok has absolutely no clue about the machinations of the UK Passport Processing Centre in Durham, UK. Even VFS Global in Trendy Tower Bangkok (who are responsible for coordinating UK passport applications from Thailand) can only provide a guestimate.

I can still remember when it was possible to do a passport renewal at the UK embassy in Bangkok within less than a week. It is ironic that, when passport processing was centralised at the processing centre in Durham, one of the arguments for the change was that the greater efficiency achieved would allow passports to be issued more quickly!

• Thumbs Up 1

Last report I saw was PP are taking 6-8 weeks.

Emergency "travel document" is just that , for Travel, and is issued by the Embassy usually to allow a citizen to get home, not for Visa application purposes.

When you get your NEW passport, you will get an accompanying letter to give Immigration.

This will enable smooth transfer of permisson to stay etc. to the NEW passport.

Also be sure you change the passport number  that may be held at any Bank  where the passport is used as ID.

Thanks again, some extremely useful advice given, much appreciated. Especially from CharlieH about informing the Bank.

I went to VFS today as per my appointment but the lady couldn’t guarantee that I would get my pp back in time, she thinks about 6 Or more weeks! 
But she advised me to renew in while in London, it would be quicker and cheaper. Then when I get back I can get the visa transferred.

But I am wondering now if there will be a problem going out on the current pp and returning with a new one.

I will enquire when I go to renew my visa.

worse case scenario, I will stick with the current pp for visa renewal and travel, then renew it upon my return.