Thai driver loses control, crashes into fish-loaded vehicle, 3 killed

webfact

image.jpeg

Photo by Khaosod.

by Nattapong Westwood

Three people lost their lives in a devastating crash involving a Toyota Fortuner, another motorbike with a sidecar loaded with fish, and an electric light pole in Thailand. Authorities were alerted to the incident which took place on Rama 2 Road in Amphawa in the central Samut Songkhram province this morning.

A 33 year old driver, a manager of a company in Samut Sakhon, was found unconscious in the driver’s seat of the white Toyota Fortuner. Rescue workers unsuccessfully attempted to resuscitate him. About 80 metres away in the central reservation, the body of a 51 year old woman from Myanmar was discovered. A 37 year old man, also from Myanmar, was found dead on the left side of the road.

Nearby, a black Honda Wave motorcycle modified with a sidecar and loaded with fish had fallen into a parallel drainage ditch. The back of the motorbike was severely damaged and the fish were scattered across the road.

The preliminary investigation revealed that the driver of the Fortuner was returning home after completing some business errands in Ratchaburi and was using Rama 2 Road to reach his accommodation in Pak Tho. The accident occurred in the early morning, suggesting that he may have fallen asleep at the wheel.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/road-deaths/manager-loses-control-crashes-into-fish-loaded-vehicle-3-killed

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-05-22

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Sad 3

A post in which the quoted content had been altered out of context has been removed:

28. You will not make changes to messages quoted from other members posts, except for purposes of shortening the quoted post. Do not shorten any post in a way that alters the context of the original post. Do not change the formatting of the post you are quoting.

I have been here 13 years and can say Thai's have learnt nothing about driving over the last couple of weeks its got even worse if that's possible with one recent encounter that will live with me forever good luck????Rip

7 hours ago, webfact said:

suggesting that he may have fallen asleep at the wheel.

Not much to suggest or guess......just daily accidents in Thailand.

It's tragic that innocent people have to die because of that reckless driver's stupidity.????

• Thumbs Up 1

It's easy to blame 'falling asleep' when it cannot ever be proved. Accidents usually have more than one cause, This Rama 2 is obviously a fast highway, and yet we have a fully laden motorcycle/sidecar pottering at what cannot have been more than 40 to 50kph. Did it have any rear lighting or bright reflecting surfaces? Where the riders wearing bright clothing?

A following vehicle, travelling at high speed, as this Fortuner clearly was could easily have failed to see it in time.

I wonder how thoroughly these accidents are really investigated.

Edited by Moonlover
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, NE1 said:

What just behind the front nearside wheel ?

Screenshot 2023-05-22 at 10.57.25.png

Well that's the front offside wheel, but yes, that's almost certainly the transmission, or what's left of it.

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

It's easy to blame 'falling asleep' when it cannot ever be proved. Accidents usually have more than one cause, This Rama 2 is obviously a fast highway, and yet we have a fully laden motorcycle/sidecar pottering at what cannot have been more than 40 to 50kph. Did it have any rear lighting or bright reflecting surfaces? Where the riders wearing bright clothing?

A following vehicle, travelling at high speed, as this Fortuner clearly was could easily have failed to see it in time.

I wonder how thoroughly these accidents are really investigated.

Yeah I believe many accidents involving these side cars are caused by them. They should be banned from any major road as they do with bikes on tollways. 

• Thumbs Up 2

9 hours ago, webfact said:

The preliminary investigation revealed that the driver of the Fortuner was returning home after completing some business errands in Ratchaburi and was using Rama 2 Road to reach his accommodation in Pak Tho. The accident occurred in the early morning, suggesting that he may have fallen asleep at the wheel.

this is total absolute bs garbage. 

i present to you exhibit a your honor. this should clear up any misconceptions of what happened....

11 hours ago, webfact said:

the body of a 51 year old woman from Myanmar was discovered. A 37 year old man, also from Myanmar, was found dead on the left side of the road.

RIP Burmese lady and man. Possibly on their way to market to sell their fish and then taken out by a speeding thai lunatic. IMO the Fortuner driver got what he deserved!

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information

22 minutes ago, newbee2022 said:
4 hours ago, Moonlover said:

travelling at high speed, as this Fortuner clearly was

22 minutes ago, newbee2022 said:

No proof either????

I think that the front end damage says otherwise!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

Not much to suggest or guess......just daily accidents in Thailand.

It's tragic that innocent people have to die because of that reckless driver's stupidity.????

Yes, and he "was returning home after completing some business errands", as if this was in any way relevant... As if falling asleep behind the wheel and causing the death of others could be excused by earlier business errands.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/22/2023 at 3:57 PM, Moonlover said:

I think that the front end damage says otherwise!

I drive that model. Far away from quality I got in EU. You can put a dent with your thumb. Everything easy to damage which might be the purpose of this construction.