Son with thai and EU passport??

2 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

If you are going to do that, then why open a thread on this.

You have many answers with basically the same information on what you need to do..so be grateful for the help.

There is no clear answer here..

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, beammeup said:

Anyway. Immigration says that he can do it at the land border but needs his old expired passport with the exit stamp and present all three when exiting. They said no problem.

Good you got an answer, but be aware that what IMM says on the phone could be entirely different with an IO at the border.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, beammeup said:

My thoughts are to stamp out on the EU passport and thats it. get in the car and go home. I am trying to figure out if there is actually a need to then exit end re-enter. on the Thai passport.

Perhaps he wants to live in Thailand?

1 minute ago, couchpotato said:

Good you got an answer, but be aware that what IMM says on the phone could be entirely different with an IO at the border.

Yeah they might try to squeeze a few bob out of him. I'll make sure he has a purple note with him

1 hour ago, DrJoy said:

Thai nationals have to enter and exit the country using a Thai PP only, even if its expired.

This is the rule rather than an exception.

He has already broken the law.

YMMV

That is untrue. My daughter has both Thai and UK passports and has on more than one occasion (after acquiring a Thai passport) entered on her UK passport.

Also, she had Thai nationality (and a Thai ID card) for several years before bothering to get a Thai passport, so during that time, she couldn't have entered on a Thai passport even if she'd wanted to.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrJoy said:

Thai nationals have to enter and exit the country using a Thai PP only, even if its expired.

This is the rule rather than an exception.

He has already broken the law.

YMMV

Not necessarily true....  

There are Thai nationals born overseas who do not hold a Thai passport and thus enter with their overseas passport.

What you are suggesting is that the have entered Thailand illegally by doing so with an overseas passport.  This is not quite true.

2 hours ago, beammeup said:

The question is is there a reason he needs to exit and re-enter on the Thai passport. I cant see any logical reason, that is why I am asking here to see if there is something I am missing.

since he enter with EU passport, thus time/term limit visa,  he may be recorded somewhere and if they found out he may be considered as over stay.... just my humble opinion, you do have a good point, if he exits on EU passport and try to enter with Thai passport they may ask how did he got out or as some posters said maybe Thailand doesn't stamp their citizens passports on exit

Edited by Mavideol

18 hours ago, h90 said:

If nothing changed: he can exit Thailand....turn around and enter Thailand with the Thai passport. There is no need to walk over to Cambodia and announce yourself. You can keep in the no mans land. As it was before...years ago, you could have gone to the place, stamp out of Thailand, go back to the car and drive home. There was no obvious control. Maybe someone in the back had an eye on it. But even than what they can blame him for? He is a Thai with a Thai passport in Thailand.

Add: that is no advise and I don't know how legal it is....that is just how no one care at the border at that time I was there.

This is exactly what I am talking about.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, beammeup said:

The link you provided does not say anything about swapping passports. Some here are saying it is not allowed at border crossings. I just spoke to and immigration official who said it is not a problem.

You didn't read far enough. There is a Q&A section down the bottom under the article and 'passport swaps' are addressed there. 

Edited by kiwiaussie
  • Like 1

On 5/22/2023 at 8:33 AM, beammeup said:

My question is can he just get the exit stamp on the EU passport then turn around and go home. Or does he for some reason need to exit and re-enter on the Thai passport?

To get an exit stamp he needs to leave Thailand. When having left the kingdom he needs to re-enter, and that should be done with the Thai passport. The old and the new Thai passports will be linked together in the system, but also bring the old one, as it should have an former exit stamp.

Thais can enter Thailand on expired passports, should this happen to him again.

1 hour ago, geisha said:

Maybe I missed something, why does he want to do this ? 

It's not been explicitly stated but it seems he probably wants to stay in Thailand longer (and with less bureaucratic requirements) than he would be able to do so at present, having entered on a non-Thai passport.

On 5/22/2023 at 2:09 PM, beammeup said:

Like is he entered into some national database as being in the country or out of the country?

You have to assume there is. that's why the IO scan the passport and enter details on the computer.

On 5/22/2023 at 2:11 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Thus: Yes, he can exit on his EU Passport, get stamped out and simply turn around and re-enter on his Thai passport - That said, instead of remaining in ‘no-mans land’ he may need to cross into the ‘other country’ and then turn around. 

No he can't. When crossing a lands border, the IO of the country you are entering checks the stamp of the country you just left - hence the "no passport swapping at a land border". So just getting stamped out on the EU passport and then turn around and re-enter on the Thai passport won't work, nor going into the other country and coming back the same way . At least 1 way must be by air.

Even at Maesai border where Thai national don't need a passport to cross, they are issued an official Thai passport that is stamped out\in on both sides of the border.

On 5/22/2023 at 2:32 PM, DrJoy said:

FYI - Passport swap is strictly forbidden at all Thai Land borders.

Not only Thai borders. It's the same at least in all neighbouring countries.

On 5/22/2023 at 2:33 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Edited - as Dr Joy wrote - Passport swap at land border is not permitted... 

BUT - there is one way around this.. 

IF the ‘other country’ does not permit a passport swap. 

i.e. Exit Thailand on the Thai passport and Enter Cambodia (example) on a Thai Passport (thats where the swap happens)... then exit Cambodia (example0 on the Thai Passport and enter Thailand on the Thai passport - thus no Swap passport swap upon entering Thailand.

Read your post again - you mentioned Thai passport 4 times and 0 times EU passport...

Well you've made this hard work for your son as he could have entered Thailand using his expired Thai passport. You cannot travel on an expired passport but you can use it to prove your citizenship when arriving. My wife and son have both entered Thailand on expired passports and my son has also entered the UK on his expired UK passport. Now he will have to exit Thailand and re-enter using his new Thai passport. However, he can get an extension of stay base on being a Thai citizen - I think it's 12 months.

On 5/22/2023 at 3:17 AM, beammeup said:

My thoughts are to stamp out on the EU passport and thats it. get in the car and go home. I am trying to figure out if there is actually a need to then exit end re-enter. on the Thai passport.

You cant change passports at a land crossing. He will need to fly out and back. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/22/2023 at 3:33 AM, richard_smith237 said:

Edited - as Dr Joy wrote - Passport swap at land border is not permitted... 

BUT - there is one way around this.. 

IF the ‘other country’ does not permit a passport swap. 

i.e. Exit Thailand on the Thai passport and Enter Cambodia (example) on a Thai Passport (thats where the swap happens)... then exit Cambodia (example0 on the Thai Passport and enter Thailand on the Thai passport - thus no Swap passport swap upon entering Thailand.

but he needs to exit on then EU passport or he will be on overstay. Not possible to change at land boarders as they want to see exit stamp. 

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, ericthai said:

You cant change passports at a land crossing. He will need to fly out and back. 

8 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Correct.

Some poor information in this thread.

Before your replies OP wrote already that the swap at a land border was possible, you should read more.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

FYI

He really did not have to enter with his EU passport because his thai passport was expired. My wife had the same issue and all she did was get an emergency travel  document from the Thai embassy. where we were(very easy) and came Thailand with her expired Thai passport. 

But That's water under the bridge now. So as others said. Exit Thailand with his EU passport. otherwise , even though he us Thai, he would have an overstay penalty. It happened to my wife's friend who enter Thailand with her US passport and thought that because she is thai and has a Thai passport , she could stay here as long as she liked. 

Border run is very easy depending where in Thailand you are. And might even be fun,:smile:

8 minutes ago, sirineou said:

FYI

He really did not have to enter with his EU passport because his thai passport was expired. My wife had the same issue and all she did was get an emergency travel  document from the Thai embassy. where we were(very easy) and came Thailand with her expired Thai passport. 

But That's water under the bridge now. So as others said. Exit Thailand with his EU passport. otherwise , even though he us Thai, he would have an overstay penalty. It happened to my wife's friend who enter Thailand with her US passport and thought that because she is thai and has a Thai passport , she could stay here as long as she liked. 

Border run is very easy depending where in Thailand you are. And might even be fun,:smile:

you're a bit late to the party mate, it's all done and dusted.

23 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

According to @beammeup(the originator of this thread) he already swapped his passport at a land border. See @beammeup's last post above.

Yes, I saw that.

As stated, the rules state this cant be done, but as always in Thailand corrupt officials are always ready to bend the rules with a little incentive.