To grind or not to grind?

In my experience, throughout all my years of smoking in the USA and Canada, we would always smoke whole flowers. However, here in Thailand, the people I have interacted with grind it up.

Whether it's a bong or a pipe, it's always ground up.

Personally, I don't like it because I feel like a lot is wasted, especially in a bong where it can get sucked through into the water before it's burnt.

In the US, we would always load the whole flower and savor the first hit of the greens.

What do you all think, and do your peers in your country grind it up?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, chrischronic said:

Yeah for sure gotta grind for joints but grinding for pipes and bongs is popular here. 

Popular everywhere.

You have to break down a bud for a bong hit, and you will get a better hit (air flow, better burn, less butane used) with ground product. You can pick it apart with your hands or some other appliance. A grinder delivers a uniform result.

Maybe you should share your technique(s)?

I use a 4-stage aluminum grinder ~ 63 mm in diameter. For daily smokers maybe get a larger one?

I get an instant effect, ~ 60 sec, faster with a 90% vape stick (where those are legal), but that may be down to tolerance/usage patterns. I smoke/vape infrequently, haven't indulged since just before Songkran.

Edited by bamnutsak
  • Thumbs Up 2

23 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Don't understand a lot of posts about cannabis.

You grind it and you roll it, nothing falls out.

Although I always use cones, so more like pinching and ramming.

The flowers won't fit in the cones, you have to break the flower up first.

Another thing I don't understand.

All the people that take a hit and are immediately effected ........ wtf?

I don't feel anything until about 10 mins after smoking, reaching full effect 30-60 minutes after smoking.

I can actually overdose before feeling anything, so normally I smoke 0.5gm then stop and wait.

How do you guys get instant highs? 

IMG_20220613_111056.jpg

No instant buzz, but before done smoking 0.5 gr, I'm already relaxing.  Finish the beer, off the veranda, start the movie, and it's kicked in by then.  After movie ... time for that snack .... repeat.

Only smoke at sunset and beyond.  So not to get de-energized during the day.  I'm lazy enough.

Do you hold the cone horizonal or vertical ?   I break up the buds as small as my fingernails (not a biter of) will get, and my doobies resemble a nice Pall Mall, about same size, thickness, 1gr ttl wt.   

Smoke 1/2 at a setting, usually requiring a relight, as a tote or 2, sip or 2, then the damn thing might be out.   Occasionally draw enough to not require a relighting, but rare.  Usually burns even, sign of a good roll w/years of experience to perfect.

Other half might get smoked in couple weeks or next month .. yea, I smoke that infrequent, and usually alone, as wife rarely indulges.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, chrischronic said:

throughout all my years of smoking in the USA and Canada, we would always smoke whole flowers. However, here in Thailand, the people I have interacted with grind it up.

Canadian, smoked dope around the world. Alwyas ground. In fact i dont know anyone who doesnt grind or chop the weed before rolling or smoking in a bong.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Fine for pipes/bongs, but as pointed out, a lot wasted.  Maybe why they don't grind tobacco.   Obviously some savvy seller thought up the idea of grinding to sell more.

what twaddle.

• Thumbs Up 1

39 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Don't understand a lot of posts about cannabis.

You grind it and you roll it, nothing falls out.

Although I always use cones, so more like pinching and ramming.

The flowers won't fit in the cones, you have to break the flower up first.

Another thing I don't understand.

All the people that take a hit and are immediately effected ........ wtf?

I don't feel anything until about 10 mins after smoking, reaching full effect 30-60 minutes after smoking.

I can actually overdose before feeling anything, so normally I smoke 0.5gm then stop and wait.

How do you guys get instant highs? 

IMG_20220613_111056.jpg

Try some good weed and you will get hit right away I smoked for 30 years and smoke some good quality weed here imported and it hits me after 10 sec or first hit

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, n00dle said:

what twaddle.

YMMV

Just my experience of trying to roll doobie with 'powder', shake of years past.  Krap doobie, that doesn't burn even, falls out, or hard draw.  Up in smoke or through the screen in a pipe or bong, and a bit of a waste.

Only way to cut waste completely is 1 hit pipe/bong of buds.   Too much hassle for me.

image.png.8111490d243dd4a547a2495a7f694378.png

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, wildpuppet72 said:

Try some good weed and you will get hit right away I smoked for 30 years and smoke some good quality weed here imported and it hits me after 10 sec or first hit

I grow my own, shared some with 5 other forum members and they all agreed it was as good as most.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

YMMV

Just my experience of trying to roll doobie with 'powder', shake of years past.  Krap doobie, that doesn't burn even, falls out, or hard draw.  Up in smoke or through the screen in a pipe or bong, and a bit of a waste.

Only way to cut waste completely is 1 hit pipe/bong of buds.   Too much hassle for me.

image.png.8111490d243dd4a547a2495a7f694378.png

Yes, I'm not surprised that doesn't burn right.

These all burn evenly and don't go out.

Nothing falls out as it's evenly packed with a chopstick.

IMG_20220613_111851.jpg

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Yes, I'm not surprised that doesn't burn right.

These all burn evenly and don't go out.

Nothing falls out as it's evenly packed with a chopstick.

IMG_20220613_111851.jpg

OK, that all makes sense, cones and a bit of compression would solve the issues of years past attempt to roll ground/shake.

2 hours ago, wildpuppet72 said:

For 500-600 baht a gr saved, I can wait 1-2 minutes for than next toke or 2.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, KhunLA said:

OK, that all makes sense, cones and a bit of compression would solve the issues of years past attempt to roll ground/shake.

For 500-600 baht a gr saved, I can wait 1-2 minutes for than next toke or 2.

Actually not that expensive not in that range at all

2 minutes ago, n00dle said:

wtf is that thing? Its laughable.

you know its illegal to force children or small domestic animals to roll joints right?

Think it's called a cigarettes', joint.   1 gr net ganga, and burns evenly, and slowly.   If I pay attention, doesn't need to be relit.

What more do you want.

11 minutes ago, n00dle said:

if you are getting powder you are doing something very wrong. Your weed is simply too dry. find something better. 

NO, no powder here, and all quite nice buds.   Break up nicely, and roll up nice, to allow a good draw.  Speaking of years past, before primo buds hit the market, and you'd have some shake at the bottom of your bag, hopefully very little.

Which was a pain in the A$$ to smoke, unless having a bong.  Would not roll up correctly or would pass thru the pipe screen ... annoying.

1 minute ago, JustAnotherHun said:

What "Powder"? It's not powder that comes out after grinding buds. A grinder garantees your reefer to burn down nicely.

Does that without grinding.   Don't bite my nails, so no problem prepping to roll a doobie.