Thai restaurant in California forced to close amid racist dog meat rumours

snoop1130

2 minutes ago, JayClay said:

No. Neither are illiterates.

So pray tell, oh one of breathtaking literacy and spectacularly witty comebacks, why would it be racist to call someone a "****ing beer drinker"? ????.

image.png.a43fc7b2604b567fd59e6ecb1846f00c.png

34 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

How about addressing the point instead of trotting out some tired old phrase to deflect?

Oh that's right, you can't ????.

I guess it's racist to say the French eat snails as well. Racism! Racism EVERYWHERE!!!!! The horror!!!

It isn't.

The incident in California is.

I'm sorry you can't distinguish between different situations.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

So pray tell, oh one of breathtaking literacy and spectacularly witty comebacks, why would it be racist to call someone a "****ing beer drinker"? ????.

image.png.a43fc7b2604b567fd59e6ecb1846f00c.png

If you want English comprehension lessons then you'll have to pay. I don't do freebies.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, JayClay said:

If you want English comprehension lessons then you'll have to pay. I don't do freebies.

My comprehension is fine thanks. Allow me to demonstrate my superb interpretation skills as well.

What your post above REALLY means is "Ummmm, of course it's not racist to call someone a beer drinker, what a stupid thing to say. I can't possibly back that statement up so I better try to deflect and make a feeble attempt to appear intellectually superior with meaningless, flippant answers". ????

8 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

It isn't.

The incident in California is.

I'm sorry you can't distinguish between different situations.

What if you say the French eat snails in California? Is that racist? 

• Sad 2

@JonnyF 

I am perfectly happy with what I wrote and I am perfectly happy that any sensible person reading what I wrote will be able to interpret it correctly.

If you believe that you have scored points with your interpretation, then I'm happy for you.

3 minutes ago, JayClay said:

I am perfectly happy with what I wrote and I am perfectly happy that any sensible person reading what I wrote will be able to interpret it correctly.

So why not explain why it's racist to call someone a beer drinker?

I'm genuinely interested how people see racism in everything, even drinking beer. Enlighten me.

7 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

But , in reality , dog eating still does exist in south east asia .

Yeah Mukdahan and especially in Sakon Nakon.

Reminds me of a first date i had from Thaifriendly. Little stunning 43kg, skin like honey, long black silky hair.

Couldnt speak a word of English.

I asked her if she would like to try some western food. She shyly said she would.

So I took her to my favorite hot dog stand.

When we got there she looked a bit horrified and said

"Sorry Goat, in my village we dont eat that part of the dog"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Woof999 said:

They were being labelled as dog eaters based on a stereotype. You come from Thailand so you MUST eat dogs because some people from Thailand eat dogs is playground logic. One could argue either way as to whether those words are racist, but given the context in this story, I'd say the intent sure did cross that line.

I think they were confusing Thais and Vietnamese.

So not racist but ignorant!

• Thumbs Up 1

36 minutes ago, Woof999 said:

They were being labelled as dog eaters based on a stereotype. You come from Thailand so you MUST eat dogs because some people from Thailand eat dogs is playground logic.

It's not logically sound to assume EVERY Thai eats dogs. But it's not racist. 

I've had plenty of Thai colleagues say to me  "Oh you're English, you must like to drink beer huh". That's a stereotype and in this case (like many stereotypes) there is a lot of truth in it. But even if there wasn't, it's not a racist comment. It's a stereotype based on my nationality. A bit like Scots being tight with money, Americans being loud and opinionated, Italians being hot headed, Germans being sticklers for timekeeping. Stereotypes, not racism.

11 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I think they were confusing Thais and Vietnamese.

So not racist but ignorant!

They tried to be racist but were too dumb to do it properly ????

6 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

It's not logically sound to assume EVERY Thai eats dogs. But it's not racist. 

I've had plenty of Thai colleagues say to me  "Oh you're English, you must like to drink beer huh". That's a stereotype and in this case (like many stereotypes) there is a lot of truth in it. But even if there wasn't, it's not a racist comment. It's a stereotype based on my nationality. A bit like Scots being tight with money, Americans being loud and opinionated, Italians being hot headed, Germans being sticklers for timekeeping. Stereotypes, not racism.

I agree mostly with what you say, but there is a difference in what happened here to the English example you gave.

If someone said to me "oh you're English, you must like to drink beer" there is little chance (depending on the tone) that their intent is to insult me. They are just trying to make conversation, albeit based on a wrong (in my case) assumption from the old stereotype.

This story is much more than "oh you're Thai, so you must eat dogs". It is more like "we think someone is killing dogs for their meat and, as you're Thai, and Thais eat dogs, it must be you. So f-off back to where you come from you dog eating scum".

It's all about the overall context. The context in this case was to insult/slur and the nationality/race of the person was used to form the judgement of blame and as the basis of the comments. It's far from the most heinous case of racism that I've ever seen and I don't think the electric chair is called for just yet, but personally I do think it crosses the racism line. The ignorance of the accuser, IMHO, doesn't detract from the racial tone of their actions.

10 minutes ago, Woof999 said:

This story is much more than "oh you're Thai, so you must eat dogs". It is more like "we think someone is killing dogs for their meat and, as you're Thai, and Thais eat dogs, it must be you. So f-off back to where you come from you dog eating scum".

Whilst I agree with some of your post, I definitely disagree with the part quoted above.

The reason I say that is that the woman's comments were not even aimed at the Thais nor meant to insult them. They were intended to insult the owner of the PitBull for not taking care of the dog properly. 

image.png.43ea1de1323a8fdde6a9da74944d15be.png

So it was a long way from telling the Thais "F-off back to where you come from you dog eating scum" as you alluded. It was more akin to "if you can't be bothered to look after your dog properly why not give it up to the Thai restaurant for dog meat". Of course, it was a stereotype assuming that since they are Thai they must eat dog meat but it wasn't intended to insult the Thais, they were simply used as a stick to beat the PitBull owner with. 

A lazy stereotype? Arguably, although since some Thais do eat dogs you could argue that like many stereotypes there is some truth to it. Racist? No more racist than assuming an Englishman drinks lukewarm beer or a Frenchman eats frogs legs and snails. In other words, not racist at all.