British Cycling to ban transgender women from competing in elite female category

onthedarkside

1 minute ago, n00dle said:

i think you are being disnigenouous. Why even bother with the transition? All you need to do these days is identify.

Please explain to me how Leah Thomas transitioned.

Or this fellow:

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/male-canadian-powerlifter-breaks-womens-bench-press-record-in-protest-against-trans-inclusion-policy/    

Perhaps the sports governing body for weightlifting in Canada could follow British Cycling’s example.

Put the matter under review and come to a considered ruling.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Perhaps the sports governing body for weightlifting in Canada could follow British Cycling’s example.

Put the matter under review and come to a considered ruling.

one lives in hope. Alas, i feel Canada is truly lost. 

Edited by n00dle

54 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

The trans lobby is very powerful and many people who have simply said that biological women have a right to have a space that is free of biological males (or simply "free of penises") have been demonised and "cancelled".

It all comes down to the trans lobby's need for "trans women are real women" to be accepted as completely binding fact.  Obviously, in order for trans women to be considered "real women" then they would need to be able to compete in sport against biological women.

I imagine that British Cycling had to think long and hard about "trans rights" and how they compete with fairness to biological women who wish to enjoy competitive sports, along with potential backlash.

Trans activists will likely say that this is "transphobia", but it seems to actually be a step in the right direction in protecting biological women.  Thank goodness.

colour me mansplained

• Confused 1

20 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

You clearly have no knowledge of the subject a hand. That subject being transgender. Not transvestite.

What difference does it make to sports?

2 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

The trans lobby is very powerful and many people who have simply said that biological women have a right to have a space that is free of biological males (or simply "free of penises") have been demonised and "cancelled".

It all comes down to the trans lobby's need for "trans women are real women" to be accepted as completely binding fact.  Obviously, in order for trans women to be considered "real women" then they would need to be able to compete in sport against biological women.

I imagine that British Cycling had to think long and hard about "trans rights" and how they compete with fairness to biological women who wish to enjoy competitive sports, along with potential backlash.

Trans activists will likely say that this is "transphobia", but it seems to actually be a step in the right direction in protecting biological women.  Thank goodness.

The ‘transgender lobby’ is clearly no more powerful than the minute number of transgender people.

There’s a lot of demonization around transgender issues, almost entirely from the rightwing press, rightwing pundits, rightwing politicians, various religious groups all directed at transgender people.

I’m sure you do imagine a lot of things, but it doesn’t make it so.

I don’t see anyone on this forum complaining about this ruling by British Cycling despite many members, including myself, having a history of expressing support for transgender people being allowed to live their lives just like the rest of us.

Well done British Cycling for undertaking a consultation, gathering facts and opinions and coming to a considered resolution.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Excellent decision. Just establish a worldwide ladyboy category. Don't let men who have decided they don't want to be men steal from women who have devoted their young lives to the sport. That is theft and dishonor. 

Exactly.

It shouldn't be too hard to have a neutral category where both male and female transformers can participate if they choose.

Same with bathrooms. Just make a 3rd neutral bathroom (in addition to male and female) for those LGBTQ who wish to use it.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Here’s a clue to the topic of discussion:

“British Cycling to ban transgender women from competing in elite female category”

I found that posted somewhere near the top of the thread.

The other poster was talking about transgender and transvestite.

Makes no difference. Still a man in a women's sport. Same same.

Surely, you comprehend that from the context. Reading compensation isn't that hard.

5 minutes ago, 2009 said:

Surely, you comprehend that from the context. Reading compensation isn't that hard.

This issue has been dealt with by British Cycling, it will be dealt with by other sports governing bodies.

There’s been a societal change, sports governing bodies are catching up with that change.

British Cycling is leading the way, well done British Cycling for responding in a considered and informed manner.

Edited by Chomper Higgot

7 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

This issue has been dealt with by British Cycling, it will be dealt with by other sports governing bodies.

There’s been a societal change, sports governing bodies are catching up with that change.

British Cycling is leading the way, well done British Cycling for responding in a considered and informed manner.

Well said.

I think we have found some common ground, my friend.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

There might have been a societal change amongst some very noisy people on Twitter but there hasn't been a scientific one.   Males cannot become females so should not be permitted to participate in female only categories when it comes to competitive sports.   It doesn't need a consultation to establish this and certainly not a 9 month one to come to this conclusion.    Maybe they decided in about a second 9 months ago that it was unfair to allow males to compete against females and then pretended to have a consultation to appease the science deniers who claim that a "trans woman is a woman" and should be given the same legal rights to protected spaces and sports as actual women.   

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, James105 said:

There might have been a societal change amongst some very noisy people on Twitter but there hasn't been a scientific one.   Males cannot become females so should not be permitted to participate in female only categories when it comes to competitive sports.   It doesn't need a consultation to establish this and certainly not a 9 month one to come to this conclusion.    Maybe they decided in about a second 9 months ago that it was unfair to allow males to compete against females and then pretended to have a consultation to appease the science deniers who claim that a "trans woman is a woman" and should be given the same legal rights to protected spaces and sports as actual women.   

Can you explain how British Cycling have failed to address your concerns?

16 minutes ago, James105 said:

"trans woman is a woman"

This statement is actually fine since gender isn't biological.

However, nobody can say, "a trans woman is female" because your sex is biological; you are either male or female at birth.

I think the confusion is the difference between woman (gender) and female (sex), but it really shouldn't be that hard to tell the difference between the two.

Edited by 2009
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, 2009 said:

Transgender women can compete in an open category. Transvestites would not be able to. 

5 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Can you explain how British Cycling have failed to address your concerns?

They took 9 months to long to come to a conclusion that only required half a seconds worth of thought.   Had I been involved in the consultation this would have been wrapped up in a few seconds e.g:

Is it fair for people born as males to compete against females in any sport where there is any element of strength or speed required?  No.   To prevent anyone from missing out the male category will now be open to anyone of whatever gender they claim to be and the female category will only open to females.  Nobody is banned from participating as this covers everyone.  You're welcome.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Transgender women can compete in an open category. Transvestites would not be able to. 

What's the difference? It's the same thing. A biological male in a women's sport 

And all these guys competing in women's sports are just dudes who identified as a women, maybe they grew their hair long and put on a dress, but what makes them different from transvestites?

8 minutes ago, 2009 said:

What's the difference? It's the same thing. A biological male in a women's sport 

And all these guys competing in women's sports are just dudes who identified as a women, maybe they grew their hair long and put on a dress, but what makes them different from transvestites?

Hormone therapy 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/feminizing-hormone-therapy/about/pac-20385096%23:~:text%3DFeminizing%20hormone%20therapy%20typically%20is,with%20a%20person's%20gender%20identity.&ved=2ahUKEwiestuH15f_AhVz2DgGHfviAAcQFnoECBEQBQ&usg=AOvVaw1PJwyUamU1Q1eyMKrJWH5I

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, James105 said:

They took 9 months to long to come to a conclusion that only required half a seconds worth of thought.   Had I been involved in the consultation this would have been wrapped up in a few seconds e.g:

Is it fair for people born as males to compete against females in any sport where there is any element of strength or speed required?  No.   To prevent anyone from missing out the male category will now be open to anyone of whatever gender they claim to be and the female category will only open to females.  Nobody is banned from participating as this covers everyone.  You're welcome.  

Perhaps British Cycling wished to undertake a considered review based on a consultation.

Perhaps doing so ensures British Cycling wished to ensure they meet their commitments on inclusion and there’s the possibility that British Cycling wished to minimize the possibility of their ruling being overturned by any prospective legal challenge.

There is the distinct possibility that the issues around this are a bit more complex than is being assumed by those who believe they have simple answers for this societal change.

10 minutes ago, 2009 said:

Oh dear.  

I'll say it again. Transgender women can compete in open categories. They have had medical treatment and transitioned. A transvestite is a man who has no interest in being a women but will sometimes dress as one. Examples, Grayson Perry and Eddie Izzard. They would not be permitted to enter into the open category. However they are dressed.

Edited by youreavinalaff
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, youreavinalaff said:

Oh dear.  

I'll say it again. Transgender women can compete in open categories. They have had medical treatment and transitioned. A transvestite is a man who has no interest in being a women but will sometimes dress as one. Examples, Grayson Perry and Eddie Izzard. They would not be permitted to enter into the open category. However they are dresses, they are male.

If a male cannot compete in an open category it is not open.   Perhaps you are referring to a category that is not open, but a category just for transgender people that excludes anyone who is not transgender and therefore not open.   

The article by the way suggests that the male category will become an 'open' category which means male, female, transvestite, transgender, 2 spirit, whatever else can enter.   As it is open.   

9 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Oh dear.  

I'll say it again. Transgender women can compete in open categories. They have had medical treatment and transitioned. A transvestite is a man who has no interest in being a women but will sometimes dress as one. Examples, Grayson Perry and Eddie Izzard. They would not be permitted to enter into the open category. However they are dressed.

Nonsense, there have been men who have only identified as women and they were allowed to compete in sports against them.

And aside from that, even if one does have a penile operation they still have the strength advantage, so it makes no difference 

• Like 1