Thai durian demand skyrockets as Chinese consumers crave unique taste

snoop1130

ทุเรียน.jpg

Durian farmers in the Soeng Sang district of Nakhon Ratchasima province are beaming with joy as the demand for Thai durian in China has soared, leading to a significant increase in their income. The region has over 2,000 rai of farmland dedicated to growing the popular fruit.

Thawatchai Saitongtip, a soon-to-be-retired school director, has a durian plantation in Dong Yen village, Sisawang, where various durian cultivars, including Mon Thong, Musang King, and Kan Yao, are grown. The 60 years old’s 15-rai plantation, with about 580 durian trees aged between 6 and 9 years, now produces the delicious fruit sought by the Chinese market for its distinctive non-pungent aroma and sweet taste.

Considering the high demand, the Sisawang Agricultural Promotion Office has been actively supporting farmers to maintain high-quality standards. They have been trained to harvest only the ripe durians, helping to avoid any complaints about tender fruit and preserving the popularity of Sisawang Durian. The office is also promoting GAP, which controls the use of chemicals on durian plantations.

Amornrat Khonputra, a staff officer of the Sisawang Agricultural Promotion Office, informed that those interested in growing Sisawang durians could visit the “Sisawang Agricultural Promotion Office” Facebook page for providing timely information on the availability of durians from various gardens in the area and monitoring the quality of durian production.

By Nattapong Westwood

Caption: Photo by MGROnline

Full Story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/thai-durian-demand-skyrockets-as-chinese-consumers-crave-unique-taste

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-05-26

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

8 hours ago, simon43 said:

Durian ice-cream tastes OK ????

Durian tastes delicious. I'm always delighted when it come into season.

We always have the vendor prepare it for us. That way most of the pungent smell has dissipated.

I love durian but there seem to be shortages this year. It was a regular price of 120-150 baht/kilo a few weeks ago. I had a couple of the mon thong variety but then they disappeared. I have a friend who sells them and he couldn't get a supply. Then a day or two ago I saw a vendor selling at 220 baht/kilo.  

• Thumbs Up 1

46 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Durian tastes delicious. I'm always delighted when it come into season.

We always have the vendor prepare it for us. That way most of the pungent smell has dissipated.

The trick is to catch it before it turns ripe... right on the edge is best.

If farang selects the durian the sellers will almost always push the overripe crap on you. If you want them to open up a few usually not happy bc they don't think you know what's what and they're cutting open durian which they need to sell obviously. Meanwhile some Chinese will rock up and do the same and not a word said. What do Chinese know about durian? Nothing

I just let my wife get them now. She usually orders online and we've good prices and good durian. We even got a bad one and they immediately reshipped. It was larger and perfect. I think we were paying b1200 for 8kg in the husk and unopened.

Edited by Plern
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Plern said:

If farang selects the durian the sellers will almost always push the overripe crap on you. If you want them to open up a few usually not happy bc they don't think you know what's what and they're cutting open durian which they need to sell obviously.

I've never met a vendor that minds at all about cutting a little window out and letting you give it a little prod. I like them quite firm and it's never been a problem to try again if they've opened one (or two) that's too soft. 
Apparently it's going to be another few weeks before the next main crop comes in and prices will go back down to normal. 

1 hour ago, Plern said:

Is it really? I wouldn't know, Like you I leave the choosing and buying to my wife. She knows best and her 'nose' hasn't let us down yet. ????

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, dingdongrb said:

I was on a flight once where someone had brought some aboard.

My Chinese girlfriend in Zhuhai once brought some on a bus that we were taking on a day trip. Oh were we unpopular!